Football Games and Prayer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-09-2013, 10:37 PM
Football Games and Prayer
Tonight at my school's football game, I noticed that before the prayer (which was lead by a student), the announcer said "the views expressed by any students do not reflect those of the (My School District)." Does saying this make prayer at school functions "okay." If I remember correctly, the same announcement was made at graduation which ends and begins in prayer. I know my band director said he's not allowed to lead us in prayer, so his "work-around" is getting a student to start the prayer (we say the Lord's Prayer before every performance).

Is prayer in a public school district technically "okay" if it's led by a student? It's not something I'd say something about but it just kind of got me thinking.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-09-2013, 10:44 PM
RE: Football Games and Prayer
They actually used a disclaimer? Okay by me. The disclaimer effectively says "this person's crazy ain't my crazy, but we got's free speech and shit".

Progress if you ask me. Then again, I don't ask for a disclaimer before meal prayers at family functions either. I just bow my head and recite "who's on first" in my mind until it's over.

Either way, life goes on and we all feel a little bit better about being tolerant of other people's delusions. Big Grin

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
20-09-2013, 11:46 PM
It's a grey area. Some factors might be:

1) Is the equipment/facilities being used owned by the school or other arm of the state?
2) Can the student say just about anything, or is it required to be a prayer, or to be that specific prayer?
3) Would the school allow a Muslim or Buddhist to give the prayer, and let the prayer be from their own religious tradition?
21-09-2013, 03:57 AM
You could always test it and ask to be the student leading the prayer, then give a prayer about the FSM. If it truly is free speech then the school shouldn't deny you leading a prayer that isn't christian.

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
[+] 1 user Likes PharaohKatt's post
21-09-2013, 04:06 AM
(21-09-2013 03:57 AM)PharaohKatt Wrote:  You could always test it and ask to be the student leading the prayer, then give a prayer about the FSM. If it truly is free speech then the school shouldn't deny you leading a prayer that isn't christian.

You might get beat up. FSM is tool of ridicule and people don't like it when you ridicule them.
21-09-2013, 04:13 AM
(21-09-2013 04:06 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(21-09-2013 03:57 AM)PharaohKatt Wrote:  You could always test it and ask to be the student leading the prayer, then give a prayer about the FSM. If it truly is free speech then the school shouldn't deny you leading a prayer that isn't christian.

You might get beat up. FSM is tool of ridicule and people don't like it when you ridicule them.

Ridiculing someone is not a justification to beat them up. Also, some ideas are worthy of ridicule.

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
21-09-2013, 05:20 AM
(21-09-2013 04:13 AM)PharaohKatt Wrote:  
(21-09-2013 04:06 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  You might get beat up. FSM is tool of ridicule and people don't like it when you ridicule them.

Ridiculing someone is not a justification to beat them up. Also, some ideas are worthy of ridicule.

True, but do you really think that will give a lot of comfort to the guy who gets his face caved in?
21-09-2013, 05:39 AM
(21-09-2013 05:20 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(21-09-2013 04:13 AM)PharaohKatt Wrote:  Ridiculing someone is not a justification to beat them up. Also, some ideas are worthy of ridicule.

True, but do you really think that will give a lot of comfort to the guy who gets his face caved in?

Not if you're only asking the teachers. No reason for the other students to even know about it.

That being said, obviously don't do anything that you feel will put yourself in danger. We have to protect ourselves as best we can.

21-09-2013, 09:31 AM
(21-09-2013 04:06 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  

Such Christ-like behavior is to be expected from the faithful, yes?

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
21-09-2013, 10:52 AM
The school asks members of either the FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes) or Christian Outreach Club to do the prayer so I almost get the feeling that the disclaimer is a way of covering their bases in case someone wanted to sue or complain.