Football Games and Prayer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-09-2013, 04:42 AM
RE: Football Games and Prayer
(21-09-2013 10:52 AM)southernbelle Wrote:  The school asks members of either the FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes) or Christian Outreach Club to do the prayer so I almost get the feeling that the disclaimer is a way of covering their bases in case someone wanted to sue or complain.

That seems quite blatantly in violation of the First. Shouldn't they be giving all students an opportunity, regardless of their religious affiliation?

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-09-2013, 08:54 PM
(22-09-2013 04:42 AM)PharaohKatt Wrote:  That seems quite blatantly in violation of the First. Shouldn't they be giving all students an opportunity, regardless of their religious affiliation?

Freedom of religion doesn't exist in Mississippi.
22-09-2013, 10:22 PM
I guess I'm a little confused as to the motivation for the OP. This seems like an issue that, if challenged, would be taken to the courts to be decided.

Are you asking about our relative opinion on the matter? I'm sure you have a pretty good idea of what that is.

Are you planning on making a stance and want to know the specifics of the law? Pretty sure it all depends on the details of the situation, again to be decided by the courts, however biased and unjust they may be in Mississippi. A request to the Freedom From Religion Foundation would be in order in such a case.

My earlier response was what I would do while faced with the situation personally in that context and not wanting to raise cain.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
22-09-2013, 10:31 PM
It sounds like the prayer has become a routine that is organized by teachers rather than a self motivated expression by students. It seems like the disclaimers are perfunctory and meaningless, only giving a false veneer of an arms length between the prayer and the school officials.

I don't have a problem with a graduation speech that mentions a student's faith as critical in their motivation for success, or a student who writes a paper or gives a presentation about their faith. But what you describe, southernbelle, seems like a poorly covered attempt to push religion.