Poll: Atheists only: Do you believe no god(s) exists?
Yes, I believe no god(s) exists
No, I do not believe no god(s) exists
[Show Results]

For Atheists: Do you believe no god(s) exist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-10-2016, 07:32 AM
RE: For Atheists: Do you believe no god(s) exist?
(13-10-2016 07:11 AM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Don't worry about stay on topic. No one ever dose. Especially when it comes to subjects like this. It just the nature of conversation. Just need to go with the flow.

I'm just going to point you to the end of my response to Unfogged. Maybe it's the nature of forums to stray off topic and everybody is comfortable with that, but currently, I'm not. I have a large volume of somewhat abstract beliefs ("existence as relative to systems") that influence my thinking and I can't express them completely on the fly, let alone argue for.

I'm thinking I'm going to start a thread in the philosophy forum about "What is existence?" as that is a fairly essential aspect to how I open my worldview to the probability of a god idea. Perhaps you can advise me as to whether or not that's a good idea, because I don't have any formal education in philosophy. It's just some ideas that have popped into my head as I rest in my armchair. Smartass
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes unknowndevil666's post
13-10-2016, 07:34 AM
By that standard the Finglu-flong is real.

What is the Finglu-flong you ask? That is a very good question.

The finglu-flong is a creature I just thought of. It's not a god per-say. but it's a creature that passes threw realities that eats gods. It has moved threw every reality that there ever was and has devoured every last god. Once it finished digesting these gods it will sease to exist since it will no long have any purpose. Now you maysay we'll what if this god was immortal and couldn't die. Well the finglu-flong has evolved to a state that that sort of thing no longer applies. It has adapted to overcome any type of god.

So now that the Finglu-flong has a possibility of existing. And it has the possibility or having eaten every god nonexistence. that would mean no gods remain.

Or what about a Titan? Titans give birth to gods. Why no love for titans?

Or it couldn't possibly exist. which leaves us just where started with the ability to rule out on concept and fill it with another.

The ideas are just perspicuous.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
13-10-2016, 07:39 AM (This post was last modified: 13-10-2016 07:59 AM by Commonsensei.)
(13-10-2016 07:32 AM)unknowndevil666 Wrote:  
(13-10-2016 07:11 AM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Don't worry about stay on topic. No one ever dose. Especially when it comes to subjects like this. It just the nature of conversation. Just need to go with the flow.

I'm just going to point you to the end of my response to Unfogged. Maybe it's the nature of forums to stray off topic and everybody is comfortable with that, but currently, I'm not. I have a large volume of somewhat abstract beliefs ("existence as relative to systems") that influence my thinking and I can't express them completely on the fly, let alone argue for.

I'm thinking I'm going to start a thread in the philosophy forum about "What is existence?" as that is a fairly essential aspect to how I open my worldview to the probability of a god idea. Perhaps you can advise me as to whether or not that's a good idea, because I don't have any formal education in philosophy. It's just some ideas that have popped into my head as I rest in my armchair. Smartass

Do as you will.

I'm not a philosopher ether, or at least a paid one. I see myself as a person that tries to explain things in a layman's term.

I'm just trying to save you the trouble of making 20 threads a day.

Just check out theborg. He makes a new thread for anything that pops in his head.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
13-10-2016, 07:50 AM

The philosophy forum is probably a good place for that sort of thing. I don't know that we have any professional philosophers on the forum, although we do have a few people with degrees in logic. Anyway, I would bet that most of the people posting in that forum have no formal education in philosophy -- just an interest in it. So feel free to post there.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
13-10-2016, 07:59 AM

You don't have to be a philosopher to post there. You can post anywhere you want on the forum that you think is appropriate. If The Mods think it would fit better somewhere else, they typically will move it to another heading.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
13-10-2016, 08:28 AM
(13-10-2016 07:15 AM)unknowndevil666 Wrote:  Again, you're not showing me how I'm wrong. You're just saying "no". How am I supposed to respond to that? I'm not going to bother re-explaining my thinking if you're just going to reject it without reasons why.

Saying that the claim that a god can break natural laws is not evidence that a god is not impossible until you can actually provide evidence that anything can, in fact, break natural laws.

I see in another post that you regard yourself as a theorist as opposed to a pragmatist and I suspect that is why we find each other's posts so incomprehensible. I am much more of a pragmatist and care very little for what might be true until I see some shred of a reason to believe it.

Quote:This thread is called, "For Atheists: Do you believe no god(s) exist?". I created it for people to simply answer the question and, at the same time, express their beliefs/disbeliefs about gods. I wasn't going to argue with whether or not their line of thinking was correct, I simply wanted to know what they believe.

Have you been on internet forums before? Controlling the direction the conversation goes is not going to happen (except maybe by the moderators).

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
13-10-2016, 02:57 PM
(13-10-2016 08:28 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Have you been on internet forums before? Controlling the direction the conversation goes is not going to happen (except maybe by the moderators).

You're right about one thing: I haven't been on internet forums!
13-10-2016, 04:36 PM
]Hello! Big Grin

Sorry for posting so late in the thread.

(11-10-2016 11:54 AM)unknowndevil666 Wrote:  The one thing all atheists can agree on is that they do not hold a belief in anything they would call god.

So, yes and no. While I identify as an 'Artiest' or 'Non theist' what other people do is, by and large, up to them. So your opening question is pretty much like herding cats.

(11-10-2016 11:54 AM)unknowndevil666 Wrote:  However, "I do not believe X" is not the same thing as "I believe NOT X". By example, "I do not believe a god(s) exists" is not the same as "I believe no god(s) exists". So I want to poll this distinction.
We should all know this, but keep in mind that "I believe" is not the same thing as "I know". For example, "I'm pretty sure that fairies don't exist, but I can't be certain of it" means "Yes, I believe fairies don't exist".
Last thing, you can use any definition of "god" that you think is relevant. Basically, just don't define "god" as "toaster".
If the question isn't clear, simply don't answer the poll. I'm looking for strict answers.

So my strict answer is that;

"As currently defined, no deities exist. However, given humanities penchant for constantly discovering new things then perhaps, at some time and place in the future, we might discover something which is/are deific."

Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
13-10-2016, 08:58 PM
(13-10-2016 04:36 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Hello! Big Grin

Sorry for posting so late in the thread.
So, yes and no. While I identify as an 'Artiest' or 'Non theist' what other people do is, by and large, up to them. So your opening question is pretty much like herding cats.

No need to apologize for anything! I still look forward to messages in the thread.

I thought I was being generous with my first statement! The most common definition of atheism I've seen atheists use (which I also used when I was an atheist) is along the lines of "lack of belief/no belief in gods". From the past couple days, I've heard some say that atheists believe no god exists, others say atheism as the middle ground between theist and anti-theist, there's of course the difference between soft/hard or gnostic/agnostic atheist. As a matter of fact, there was another person in this thread that claimed all atheists could agree on things like claivoyance, ghosts, and homeopathy, basically anything having to do with supernatural "woo". But the one thing they all had in common was that they weren't theist or, in other words, "were not someone that believed in god"!
13-10-2016, 08:59 PM
(13-10-2016 04:36 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  

By the way, I was far too invested in this video...
[+] 1 user Likes unknowndevil666's post