Poll: Atheists only: Do you believe no god(s) exists?
Yes, I believe no god(s) exists
No, I do not believe no god(s) exists
[Show Results]

For Atheists: Do you believe no god(s) exist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-02-2017, 03:08 AM
RE: For Atheists: Do you believe no god(s) exist?
(01-02-2017 09:54 PM)Velvet Wrote:  For the lack of evidence be an argument for the non-existence of any gods, we would need to assume that if a god existed there would necessarily be evidence.

But we can't assume this, because it is possible that an entity exists that wishes to hide all evidence for his existence and has the means to do it.

Do we have any way to rule out those 2, or even one of those 2 possibilities?
Who knows what is possible until it has been observed to have happened?

The crux of the "existence of god" argument is not about whether we can rule it out.
The argument is that there is no clear falsifiable definition AND, there is no reasonable source as to why we are even suggesting the existence of a god. What is it that lead us towards this absurd idea of a magical intelligence without physical form which knows everything and created everything including space and time? It seems that someone just plucked that conclusion out of their arse.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-02-2017, 04:01 AM
(11-10-2016 11:54 AM)unknowndevil666 Wrote:  I'm looking for strict answers.

SIT DOWN!

OVER THERE! Go on go on.

REACH DOWN, RIGHT DOWN UNTIL IT FEELS GOOD.

There you will find your god.

DO IT NOW!!!!!!!

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
02-02-2017, 05:45 AM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2017 05:54 AM by Velvet.)
(02-02-2017 03:08 AM)Stevil Wrote:  
(01-02-2017 09:54 PM)Velvet Wrote:  For the lack of evidence be an argument for the non-existence of any gods, we would need to assume that if a god existed there would necessarily be evidence.

But we can't assume this, because it is possible that an entity exists that wishes to hide all evidence for his existence and has the means to do it.

Do we have any way to rule out those 2, or even one of those 2 possibilities?
Who knows what is possible until it has been observed to have happened?

The crux of the "existence of god" argument is not about whether we can rule it out.
The argument is that there is no clear falsifiable definition AND, there is no reasonable source as to why we are even suggesting the existence of a god. What is it that lead us towards this absurd idea of a magical intelligence without physical form which knows everything and created everything including space and time? It seems that someone just plucked that conclusion out of their arse.

Yes, but none of this matters, unless we have evidence that this is not the case, we shouldn't assume that it isn't just because it seems preposterous.

Technically I could come up with a preposterous idea just now, and by an extreme coincidence get it 100% right, not because I actually know what I'm talking about, but because I got lucky, is not impossible.

Its faulty reasoning to judge ideas based on where/how/when that idea come to be, nothing of this holds as evidence for its falsehood, an idea's true/false status is completely detached from its source, the way it was conceived and/or apparent preposterousness.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.”
-P.C. Hodgell - Seeker’s Mask - Kirien
02-02-2017, 06:34 AM
(02-02-2017 05:45 AM)Velvet Wrote:  I actually know what I'm talking about

I've learned never to trust an individual who says such a thing.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
02-02-2017, 06:47 AM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2017 06:50 AM by GirlyMan.)
(01-02-2017 07:00 PM)Velvet Wrote:  How can we rule of the existence of a joker god who enjoys watching people debate its existence, who provides anecdotal evidence to those who already believe in it by faith and making sure no evidence could ever be detectable to those who are skeptics of his existence?

Can we rule out this joker god (that I just made up)?

That you made up? Western philosophy been considering a deus deceptor since Descartes if not longer, Eastern philosophy a lot longer. You need to get out more.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
02-02-2017, 06:49 AM
(02-02-2017 06:47 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  That you made up? People been considering a deus deceptor since Descartes if not longer.

I loved Descartes. He was so funny. Smile

Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
02-02-2017, 06:55 AM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2017 07:20 AM by GirlyMan.)
(01-02-2017 07:13 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  They are gonna pull the "Theory" card.
Eg.
It's called the "Theory of Gravity" & you believe in that Theory right? Well we believe in the "Theory of God".
The reason why I say it's a weak argument is because it's easily defended compared to so many other stronger arguments against God.

Complete ignorance of what a scientific theory is does not constitute a tenable defense.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
02-02-2017, 06:58 AM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2017 07:21 AM by GirlyMan.)
(01-02-2017 09:33 PM)Velvet Wrote:  I think his point is that he rathers debating using the most efficient arguments and not the best ones.

The most efficient arguments are the best ones. "It can scarcely be denied that the supreme goal of all theory is to make the irreducible basic elements as simple and as few as possible without having to surrender the adequate representation of a single datum of experience." - Albert Funkinsteen

#sigh
02-02-2017, 07:03 AM
(01-02-2017 07:00 PM)Velvet Wrote:  How can we rule out the existence of a joker god who enjoys watching people debate its existence, who provides anecdotal evidence to those who already believe in it by faith and making sure no evidence could ever be detectable to those who are skeptics of his existence?

Can we rule out this joker god (that I just made up)?

I can automatically rule out any gods until evidence of existence has been shown.

Every day that you wake up, the claim exists that all of your family & friends have died while you were sleeping.
How do you rule out this possibility each & every day ?

Do you contact everyone and verify from each person that they are all alive ?
Or do you go about your day and not concern yourself with wild claims until evidence has been brought forward and verified that this is the case ?

We don't spend our lives ruling out a million different scenarios. We don't have time for that.

That's why it's important to think rationally and hold our beliefs to the higher standard of having evidence that backs up our beliefs.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
02-02-2017, 07:16 AM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2017 07:22 AM by GirlyMan.)

This whole debate implicitly asserts the primacy of Aristotelian logic over other equally consistent many-valued logics. If you treat truth value as a relation instead of a function and admit "unknown" and "unknowable" as truth values (i.e. {T}, {F},{T,F},{}) this entire debate is moot (i.e. nothing more than an academic debate over the intrinsic limitations of Aristotelian logic).

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post