Poll: Atheists only: Do you believe no god(s) exists?
Yes, I believe no god(s) exists
No, I do not believe no god(s) exists
[Show Results]

For Atheists: Do you believe no god(s) exist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-02-2017, 02:11 PM
RE: For Atheists: Do you believe no god(s) exist?
(04-02-2017 02:02 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  
(04-02-2017 01:58 PM)Stevil Wrote:  I have been teaching my girls that if something has magic e.g. fairies, witches, monsters, gods then those things don't exist because there is no such thing as magic.

In specific defense (against the black arts) against the silliness of Christianity, I have taught my girls that once you are dead, then you are dead, you won't magically just get up and start to walk around. We have poked dead rotting birds with sticks and we have inspected dead insects and indeed they do not look like they will come back to life. There has never been an instance of something being dead for three days and then coming back to life. Never.

The water bear & frozen tree frogs
Does frozen = dead?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
04-02-2017, 02:11 PM
(04-02-2017 02:02 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  
(04-02-2017 01:58 PM)Stevil Wrote:  There has never been an instance of something being dead for three days and then coming back to life. Never.
The water bear & frozen tree frogs

If they've "come back to life" that means that they were never dead to begin with.

There is such a thing as suspended animation, especially due to harsh drops in temperature. Surgeons do this frequently when they drop the temperature of a patient, stop the heart, perform surgery and then re-warm the patient. While not terribly common, it's not unheard of.

Source: Killing a Patient to Save His Life
and

Swapping blood with ice cold salt water: Doctors to 'deep-chill' trauma patients
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post
04-02-2017, 02:17 PM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2017 02:26 PM by GirlyMan.)
(04-02-2017 01:45 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  I think by fine tuning they mean:
"the room for discrepancy is infinitesimally small"

And so it is. But it has known lower bounds at 1.616229×10^−35 meters and 5.39116*10^-44 seconds. But what does that have to do with God? Is it related to the "God of the gaps" argument which in my admittedly limited understanding of it proposes something like God can be found below/between/beyond/behind/before(?) these theoretical limits? The only things I know about these arguments(?) are what I've read here and I'm too lazy and indifferent to even follow a link let alone google them for myself so keep it short please. Thanks! Thumbsup

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
04-02-2017, 02:20 PM
(04-02-2017 01:25 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  I think it's the exact opposite, that there's a complete lack of evidence that unintentionality resulted in all of this, that we're just a cosmic accident, or some nicely formed puddle. Human beings, consciousness, sense of moral directions, desire for meaning, truth, a sense there's something more here than the sum of it's part, religious convergences, archetypes, themes, etc.... leave an unintentional picture as an absurdity. But where I see Mount Rushmore you see pareidolia. Where as I see a work of art, you see a finely formed puddle.

Our most intuitive perceptions of reality is that we are part of a created order, that we have moral purposes, but where as I see direction, you seen an illusion. Your atheism demands this.

Reality has been proven to be non-intuitive.
All that other stuff evolved, and each one is explainable.

That's just your bias speaking.
Your problem is you never got a real education.
When asked to quantify your liased positions, you can never actually tell anyone "how much" of each of that stuff is "enough" to tip your balance to one side or another.
It's irrational.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
04-02-2017, 02:21 PM
(04-02-2017 02:20 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Reality has been proven to be non-intuitive.

That goes down as the understatement of all time.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
04-02-2017, 02:27 PM
A real god would not be constrained by any boundaries or limits. Design is actually an argument against a deity. A real (omnipotent god) could makes things work the way it wanted, no matter the constraints.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
04-02-2017, 02:30 PM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2017 02:34 PM by Agnostic Shane.)
(04-02-2017 02:11 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(04-02-2017 02:02 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  The water bear & frozen tree frogs
Does frozen = dead?
It might, depends on how you define dead.
Define Alive
Define Dead
You are going to need a new thread for this. Trust me.

"Even more incredible is the fact that the wood frogs stop breathing and their hearts stop beating entirely for days to weeks at a time. In fact, during its period of frozen winter hibernation, the frogs' physical processes — from metabolic activity to waste production — grind to a near halt. What's more, the frogs are likely to endure multiple freeze/ thaw episodes over the course of a winter."
http://voices.nationalgeographic.com/201...ng-frozen/
04-02-2017, 02:33 PM
(04-02-2017 02:30 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  In fact, during its period of frozen winter hibernation, the frogs' physical processes — from metabolic activity to waste production — grind to a near halt.

Hibernation =/= dead

Near halt = not entirely stopped

Therefore, not dead.
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post
04-02-2017, 02:37 PM
(04-02-2017 02:33 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  
(04-02-2017 02:30 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  In fact, during its period of frozen winter hibernation, the frogs' physical processes — from metabolic activity to waste production — grind to a near halt.

Hibernation =/= dead

Near halt = not entirely stopped

Therefore, not dead.
You haven't defined "dead" yet.
You'll understand why this is a difficult topic when you try to define "dead"
At what point would you declare these tree frogs dead from the instant they go into "hibernation"?
After you answer that replace the words "tree frog" with "water bear" & things are going to start getting really complicated.
04-02-2017, 02:37 PM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2017 03:05 PM by GirlyMan.)
(04-02-2017 02:11 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  
(04-02-2017 02:02 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  The water bear & frozen tree frogs

If they've "come back to life" that means that they were never dead to begin with.

There is such a thing as suspended animation, especially due to harsh drops in temperature. Surgeons do this frequently when they drop the temperature of a patient, stop the heart, perform surgery and then re-warm the patient. While not terribly common, it's not unheard of.

The tardigrade, affectionately known as the water bear or moss piglets (my favorite), are the real masters of the universe. They do indeed rise from the dead to the extent that we are technologically capable of defining and measuring dead. These little bastards are the real Jesus and prove that resurrection is not only possible but demonstrably proveable as far as we are capable of defining and measuring it. Don't know why more Christians don't appeal to the little guys in their arguments®. And just look at the cute little fella, I just want to hug him and squeeze him and take him home -

[Image: tardigrade_zpsicuwmmwr.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post