Poll: Atheists only: Do you believe no god(s) exists?
Yes, I believe no god(s) exists
No, I do not believe no god(s) exists
[Show Results]

For Atheists: Do you believe no god(s) exist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-10-2016, 04:36 PM
RE: For Atheists: Do you believe no god(s) exist?
G'day mate, and welcome to the forum. Smile

(11-10-2016 11:54 AM)unknowndevil666 Wrote:  The one thing all atheists can agree on is that they do not hold a belief in anything they would call god.

Nope. Atheists all agree on a multitude of other things as well. There is no empirical evidence for such things as clairvoyance, telekinesis, ghosts, supernatural ectoplasm, séances, astrology, homeopathy, creation "science", orgone energy, scientology, water divining, enneagrams, biorhythms, numerology etc etc etc...

Quote:However, "I do not believe X" is not the same thing as "I believe NOT X". By example, "I do not believe a god(s) exists" is not the same as "I believe no god(s) exists". So I want to poll this distinction.

You're wasting your time playing with semantics. To an atheist, there's no meaningful difference. One god, ten gods, 100,000 gods. It's all the same bullshit.

Quote:We should all know this, but keep in mind that "I believe" is not the same thing as "I know". For example, "I'm pretty sure that fairies don't exist, but I can't be certain of it" means "Yes, I believe fairies don't exist".

Nope. Only semantics again anyway.

Quote:If the question isn't clear, simply don't answer the poll. I'm looking for strict answers.

I'm sorry, but I must have missed when you were made a moderator here. Consider

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
11-10-2016, 04:41 PM
(11-10-2016 04:15 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Why must we chose between two choices someone else has decided are the best ones?

Well the two choices are a dichotomy in the same way "Do you believe a god(s) exists?" is. Either you believe or you don't believe. But you might also not understand the question, think the question is malformed, etc. in which case, the question wouldn't be answered. I chose to leave out the other options because I feared most votes would immediately go there for being the "easy" choice. People can express their thoughts in the thread but I wanted the poll itself to have conclusive answers.
11-10-2016, 04:51 PM
(11-10-2016 04:36 PM)SYZ Wrote:  G'day mate, and welcome to the forum. Smile

(11-10-2016 11:54 AM)unknowndevil666 Wrote:  The one thing all atheists can agree on is that they do not hold a belief in anything they would call god.

Nope. Atheists all agree on a multitude of other things as well. There is no empirical evidence for such things as clairvoyance, telekinesis, ghosts, supernatural ectoplasm, séances, astrology, homeopathy, creation "science", orgone energy, scientology, water divining, enneagrams, biorhythms, numerology etc etc etc...

Quote:However, "I do not believe X" is not the same thing as "I believe NOT X". By example, "I do not believe a god(s) exists" is not the same as "I believe no god(s) exists". So I want to poll this distinction.

You're wasting your time playing with semantics. To an atheist, there's no meaningful difference. One god, ten gods, 100,000 gods. It's all the same bullshit.

Quote:We should all know this, but keep in mind that "I believe" is not the same thing as "I know". For example, "I'm pretty sure that fairies don't exist, but I can't be certain of it" means "Yes, I believe fairies don't exist".

Nope. Only semantics again anyway.

Quote:If the question isn't clear, simply don't answer the poll. I'm looking for strict answers.

I'm sorry, but I must have missed when you were made a moderator here. Consider

Sorry if I came off too demanding. I've already been chastised for my conduct so far.
As for all the other things you mentioned I have to disagree. Most of the logic I mentioned I'm taking right from Matt Dillahunty, the most logical person, let alone atheist, I've seen, so it's not even like I'm pulling the semantics of a religious person.
11-10-2016, 04:52 PM
(11-10-2016 04:41 PM)unknowndevil666 Wrote:  
(11-10-2016 04:15 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Why must we chose between two choices someone else has decided are the best ones?

Well the two choices are a dichotomy in the same way "Do you believe a god(s) exists?" is. Either you believe or you don't believe. But you might also not understand the question, think the question is malformed, etc. in which case, the question wouldn't be answered. I chose to leave out the other options because I feared most votes would immediately go there for being the "easy" choice. People can express their thoughts in the thread but I wanted the poll itself to have conclusive answers.

But only having two voting options won't provide you with conclusive answers because those who feel differently from the choices provided won't vote. You are skewing your own results by not offering additional options.
11-10-2016, 05:00 PM
(11-10-2016 03:51 PM)unknowndevil666 Wrote:  
(11-10-2016 01:08 PM)unfogged Wrote:  This two statements are contradictory.

I don't think they are. By strict answers I meant I only wish for people to respond if they can respond definitively. And because this is based on individuals' beliefs (or lack thereof), I can't choose what definition of god because I'm not the one deciding why people are atheists. Hopefully that's clear.

I understand, but it makes the poll meaningless since any "I don't believe no gods exist" responses can be referencing completely incompatible god concepts. No valid conclusions can be drawn from that category except that some people might believe that there might be something that could maybe be called a god under some circumstances. That doesn't get anybody anywhere.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
11-10-2016, 05:00 PM
(11-10-2016 04:17 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(11-10-2016 03:54 PM)unknowndevil666 Wrote:  I joined because I wanted to ask this question to a population of atheists. Sorry, I don't know any "forum etiquette". If I decide to really join I'll do just as you have said.

You have already "really" joined.

lol Well, then I mean when I integrate more into the community.
11-10-2016, 05:05 PM
I lack a belief in gods.
I lack a belief in leprechauns.
I lack a belief that this poll is worthy of my vote.

Beliefs are things we hold to be true based upon justified reasons that support the belief.

Without evidence, one cannot justify his or her belief.

As someone recently said, "Please describe the difference between an imaginary god and the god you believe exists."

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
11-10-2016, 05:08 PM
(11-10-2016 04:52 PM)jennybee Wrote:  But only having two voting options won't provide you with conclusive answers because those who feel differently from the choices provided won't vote. You are skewing your own results by not offering additional options.

Yeah, right now I'm figuring that results may not represent the population. I'll have to take it with a grain of salt, maybe.
[+] 1 user Likes unknowndevil666's post
11-10-2016, 05:15 PM
11-10-2016, 05:16 PM
(11-10-2016 05:00 PM)unknowndevil666 Wrote:  
(11-10-2016 04:17 PM)pablo Wrote:  You have already "really" joined.

lol Well, then I mean when I integrate more into the community.

You're a part of our TTA cult now. You can't leave. Quick somebody lock the door Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post