Poll: Atheists only: Do you believe no god(s) exists?
Yes, I believe no god(s) exists
No, I do not believe no god(s) exists
[Show Results]

For Atheists: Do you believe no god(s) exist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-02-2017, 10:19 AM (This post was last modified: 13-02-2017 10:55 AM by GirlyMan.)
RE: For Atheists: Do you believe no god(s) exist?
(13-02-2017 03:31 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Yeah. Weirdos going around claiming to be God on atheist forums are an annoyance to those of us who are.

Are you sure your certs are up to date? Don't see you on the roster. Alla's are current I see. Thumbsup

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-02-2017, 10:26 AM
(13-02-2017 10:17 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(13-02-2017 10:00 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I didn't forgot about, it was just irreverent to the point, in which only whether it's logical or not matters.

No you stupid fuck. Logic is one part. Examining assumptions is the other. You can make a fucking logical argument that 0 = 1, based on the Peano axioms (do you even know what the fuck those are?) and the assumption that 1+1 = 1, but that does not make the statement 0=1 *correct* because the initial assumption is a load of horseshit.

But go ahead and claim that it's irrelevant. Twat.

Strawmanning seems to be a rampant virus among these parts. I'm guessing it's an adequate means for individuals like yourself to vent your personal frustrations.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
13-02-2017, 10:41 AM
(13-02-2017 09:34 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I presented a variety of arguments why your views are wrong, but you avoided addressing them.

No, you haven't.

You've spent quite a while propping up straw men and implying that you don't think academia would agree with me, or implying that you have a better life than I do, or any number of other things. I have not avoided addressing these parts of your posts. I have ignored them, deliberately, because they are pointless and have no actual weight as an argument.

As a rule, I do not dignify pointless idiocy like that with a response.

(13-02-2017 09:34 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Someone comes across the natural sphinx in Pakistan, and based on his familiarity with carved objects, and other sphinxs, he assumes that this was carved as well. He later learns that it wasn't, but it was carved by wind and rain

Is this sort of reasoning that led him to initially conclude it was carved logical? Even if he was wrong in his initial conclusion.

This was also not ignored. Chas' reply was adequate.

The issue, which Chas raised and which you have promptly ignored, is that our hypothetical sphinx-finder can only continue to hold these views by ignoring all the other evidence that comes up.

As you do.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
13-02-2017, 10:48 AM
(13-02-2017 10:00 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(13-02-2017 09:59 AM)Chas Wrote:  Logical but incorrect because of the paucity of actual evidence. You conveniently forgot that part. Dodgy

I didn't forgot about, it was just irreverent to the point, in which only whether it's logical or not matters.

No, logical is not binary, there are degrees since one can reach many logical conclusions from the same set of facts , some more reasonable than others.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-02-2017, 11:14 AM
(13-02-2017 10:48 AM)Chas Wrote:  No, logical is not binary, there are degrees since one can reach many logical conclusions from the same set of facts , some more reasonable than others.

Let's see, i never said anything about logical conclusions being equally reasonable, I also never claimed that just because a conclusion is logical, that this means it's true.
So quite trying to push an argument on me that I never made.

The only question I addressed to Unbeliever, is whether or not it's logical, full stop, not whether or not it's the most reasonable, or the correct conclusion.

The only part of your post the address my point, is your agreement that it's logical. Any thing else you wanted to add is irrelevant to my question, and point.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
13-02-2017, 11:20 AM
(13-02-2017 11:14 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  The only question I addressed to Unbeliever, is whether or not it's logical, full stop, not whether or not it's the most reasonable, or the correct conclusion.

"Logical" requires more than valid inferencing, it requires sound, self-evident and incontrovertible premises, your's are anything but.

#sigh
13-02-2017, 11:23 AM
(13-02-2017 11:14 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(13-02-2017 10:48 AM)Chas Wrote:  No, logical is not binary, there are degrees since one can reach many logical conclusions from the same set of facts , some more reasonable than others.

Let's see, i never said anything about logical conclusions being equally reasonable, I also never claimed that just because a conclusion is logical, that this means it's true.
So quite trying to push an argument on me that I never made.

The only question I addressed to Unbeliever, is whether or not it's logical, full stop, not whether or not it's the most reasonable, or the correct conclusion.

The only part of your post the address my point, is your agreement that it's logical. Any thing else you wanted to add is irrelevant to my question, and point.

Like an attorney that insists the witness answer yes or no, you over-simplify something that is more nuanced.

I don't give a fuck whether you argued for reasonableness; you only partially quoting me to pretend that I supported your position is dishonest.

This is not the first time you've done that. Stop doing that.

13-02-2017, 11:41 AM
(13-02-2017 10:41 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  This was also not ignored. Chas' reply was adequate.

The issue, which Chas raised and which you have promptly ignored, is that our hypothetical sphinx-finder can only continue to hold these views by ignoring all the other evidence that comes up.

As you do.

I only asked whether it logical. You agree with Chas that yes it's logical.

Yet you believe that using the same basic reasoning, of someone who logically deduces that the natural sphinx was created, is illogical when they deduce that the universe was created, that we're a part of created order. That every deists who made such a deduction, did so illogically, though the basic rules/thought patterns are same rules/though patterns associated with logical natural sphinx conclusion.

13-02-2017, 11:47 AM
(13-02-2017 11:41 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(13-02-2017 10:41 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  This was also not ignored. Chas' reply was adequate.

As you do.

I only asked whether it logical. You agree with Chas that yes it's logical.

Stop doing that.

13-02-2017, 11:49 AM
Is this guy Huggy?

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.