Poll: Atheists only: Do you believe no god(s) exists?
Yes, I believe no god(s) exists
No, I do not believe no god(s) exists
[Show Results]

For Atheists: Do you believe no god(s) exist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-10-2016, 10:35 PM
RE: For Atheists: Do you believe no god(s) exist?
(11-10-2016 10:28 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  My belief in gods is equivalent to my belief that tiny elephants live in my ass. Nonexistent.

The only difference is I could actually prove that my ass is free of colon-dwelling pachyderms, if I wanted to. Since I know what elephants are, where my asshole is, and know that the technology to explore my rectum exists. All of these things are clearly defined. Gods... not so much.

(adds "pachydermocolonoscopy" to medical dictionary) Smartass
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Astreja's post
11-10-2016, 10:41 PM
(11-10-2016 10:35 PM)Astreja Wrote:  
(11-10-2016 10:28 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  My belief in gods is equivalent to my belief that tiny elephants live in my ass. Nonexistent.

The only difference is I could actually prove that my ass is free of colon-dwelling pachyderms, if I wanted to. Since I know what elephants are, where my asshole is, and know that the technology to explore my rectum exists. All of these things are clearly defined. Gods... not so much.

(adds "pachydermocolonoscopy" to medical dictionary) Smartass

It's only the second weirdest thing I've heard in the past few weeks.

Puppy pregnancy syndrome takes first place. We use it regularly at work now whenever anyone's feeling shitty.

"Ugh, I didn't sleep well last night."

"Must be your puppy pregnancy syndrome flaring up again."
Find all posts by this user
12-10-2016, 12:30 AM
I'm absent the belief in gods and in addition I suspect that idea of god is human creations to explain things we did not understand in infancy of our species and tool for social manipulation.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
12-10-2016, 06:48 AM
(11-10-2016 10:20 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Yours is a problematic definition of agnosticism. Agnostics do not believe in the existence of gods—as you apparently do half of the time.

Agnosticism is the position of believing that knowledge of the existence or non-existence of god is impossible. It's often put forth as a middle ground between theism and atheism. Understood this way, agnosticism is skepticism regarding all things theological. The agnostic holds that human knowledge is limited to the natural world, that the mind is incapable of knowledge of the supernatural. Understood this way, an agnostic could also be a theist or an atheist. The former is called a fideist—one who believes in god purely on faith. The agnostic-atheist simply finds no compelling reason to believe in god.

There are many different usages of "agnostic". The strict Huxley definition has lost usage over time so I don't feel the need to refer to it and I'd expect most people wouldn't assume it anyway. I tend to use it as a "middle ground" between theism and atheism because (1) it's popular and (2) there was a significant change in my views that required me to abandon the "atheist" label. Specifically, when I discovered good reasons to believe in a god. I'm not committed to believing or disbelieving in god concepts and so I remove myself from the atheist and theist labels. I recognize my definitions are not held among others but I don't really care because I think mine are valid. You can argue that it's not valid, but don't do so by using your own definition.
[+] 1 user Likes unknowndevil666's post
12-10-2016, 06:58 AM
The God that exists is a form of viral meme. A much clearer expression is that no god exists outside of self. Smartass

Except my Gwynnies, of course. Big Grin
[Image: 2VRhXll.jpg]

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
12-10-2016, 07:01 AM
(12-10-2016 06:48 AM)unknowndevil666 Wrote:  
(11-10-2016 10:20 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Yours is a problematic definition of agnosticism. Agnostics do not believe in the existence of gods—as you apparently do half of the time.

Agnosticism is the position of believing that knowledge of the existence or non-existence of god is impossible. It's often put forth as a middle ground between theism and atheism. Understood this way, agnosticism is skepticism regarding all things theological. The agnostic holds that human knowledge is limited to the natural world, that the mind is incapable of knowledge of the supernatural. Understood this way, an agnostic could also be a theist or an atheist. The former is called a fideist—one who believes in god purely on faith. The agnostic-atheist simply finds no compelling reason to believe in god.

There are many different usages of "agnostic". The strict Huxley definition has lost usage over time so I don't feel the need to refer to it and I'd expect most people wouldn't assume it anyway. I tend to use it as a "middle ground" between theism and atheism because (1) it's popular and (2) there was a significant change in my views that required me to abandon the "atheist" label. Specifically, when I discovered good reasons to believe in a god. I'm not committed to believing or disbelieving in god concepts and so I remove myself from the atheist and theist labels. I recognize my definitions are not held among others but I don't really care because I think mine are valid. You can argue that it's not valid, but don't do so by using your own definition.

Label yourself however you want. I don't care. I would label you as an agnostic atheist. That just means you don't believe in a god but you don't know whether or not it exists. You either actively believe (theist) or you don't (atheist). Knowledge (gnostic or agnostic) is a separate matter. I know you don't care about my definition either. Where does that leave us then?
12-10-2016, 07:04 AM
(12-10-2016 06:48 AM)unknowndevil666 Wrote:  I recognize my definitions are not held among others but I don't really care because I think mine are valid. You can argue that it's not valid, but don't do so by using your own definition.

So you are allowed to use your own definitions but someone who is arguing against you is not?

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 4 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
12-10-2016, 07:09 AM
I guess my other point is that discussion is useless if you just want to play around with definitions to fit your needs. If we can't agree on the definition of the color blue, we can't get very far with discussing blue things. I'll just let you get on with your mental masturbation instead.
[+] 3 users Like Jesster's post
12-10-2016, 07:09 AM
(12-10-2016 06:48 AM)unknowndevil666 Wrote:  ...there was a significant change in my views that required me to abandon the "atheist" label. Specifically, when I discovered good reasons to believe in a god.

What did you discover?

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
12-10-2016, 07:23 AM
I find it humorous that somebody that wants to redefine the definitions with regards to themselves, puts up a black and white two answer poll. I refer back to my first post.
Putting people in little boxes is a futile exercise. They are usually too messy to fit in Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post