Poll: Atheists only: Do you believe no god(s) exists?
Yes, I believe no god(s) exists
No, I do not believe no god(s) exists
[Show Results]

For Atheists: Do you believe no god(s) exist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-02-2017, 06:40 PM
RE: For Atheists: Do you believe no god(s) exist?
All unicorns have one horn on their head.
Some unicorns are pink.
All pink unicorns have one horn on their head.

Borders on being logical, but still doesn't provide any evidence that unicorns exist.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
13-02-2017, 06:49 PM
(13-02-2017 06:36 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Other atheists do of course, as indicated in my quotes from Dawkins

Believe it or not, Tom, atheists do not worship Dawkins.

(13-02-2017 06:36 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
Quote: In what way would a universe designed for us look different from a universe that is not?

For starters one without us.

So it is your assertion that, if the universe were not explicitly designed for us, that we would not exist?

Good. Glad to get that out in the open.

No evidence. Dismissed.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
13-02-2017, 07:23 PM
(13-02-2017 06:49 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Believe it or not, Tom, atheists do not worship Dawkins.

That wasn't the question. You don't understand why an atheists like Dawkins acknowledges the appearance of design? It's a position you can't relate to, or comprehend the reason for such views? You just don't get it right?

Quote:So it is your assertion that, if the universe were not explicitly designed for us, that we would not exist?

Nope, that's not my assertion.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
13-02-2017, 08:51 PM
(13-02-2017 05:34 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(13-02-2017 03:37 PM)Chas Wrote:  It is a lie because I qualified it and you keep leaving that out.

And your qualifications were irrelevant to my point. With or without those qualifications, we both agree it's a logical conclusion.

No, you dishonest little twat, I only agree insofar as I qualified it.
Are you really this dishonest or are you just this fucking stupid? Consider

Quote:To borrow the bald Chas example, it's to acknowledge that we both agree that you're bald, and leaving out the that you qualified your baldness as the result of a botched surgery to lengthen your small penis size. While that's all sad and tragic, that qualification is not relevant to the agreement that you're bald.

Go fuck yourself, you nasty little shit. You are a perverted piece of slime.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-02-2017, 09:03 PM
(13-02-2017 08:51 PM)Chas Wrote:  No, you dishonest little twat, I only agree insofar as I qualified it.

And I agree with you regardless of how you qualified it. How you qualified it is irrelevant, in fact I'm inclined to agree with your qualifiers as well, but that's irrelevant. The only point relevant to the one I was making is that it's logical, regardless of how that's being qualified.

Quote:Are you really this dishonest or are you just this fucking stupid?

Are you?

Quote: You are a perverted piece of slime.

What are you a prude? I guess I'm the only one with a sense of humor here.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
13-02-2017, 09:07 PM
(13-02-2017 07:23 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  That wasn't the question. You don't understand why an atheists* like Dawkins acknowledges the appearance of design?

He never said that. It's a totally dishonest (but very common lying) mischaracterization of what he actually wrote.

*an atheist is not plural, you ignorant dolt.

The life of a black hole is 10^80 to 10^100 years.
Whatever the universe was designed for, it clearly was not for humans, (which have existed for an infinitesimally small portion of it's length).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
13-02-2017, 09:19 PM (This post was last modified: 13-02-2017 09:23 PM by Tomasia.)
(13-02-2017 09:07 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  He never said that. It's a totally dishonest (but very common lying) mischaracterization of what he actually wrote.

this is what he actually wrote: "Natural selection is the champion crane of all time. It has lifted life from primeval simplicity to the dizzy heights of complexity, beauty
and apparent design that dazzle us today."

Or here: "“ “the illusion of design conjured by Darwinian natural selection is so breathtakingly powerful”

Or take Dennett: "“The biosphere is utterly saturated with design, with purpose, with reasons. What I call the “design stance” predicts and explains features throughout the living world using the same assumptions that work so well when reverse-engineering artifacts made by (somewhat) intelligent human designers.”

"“Is there design in Nature or only apparent design? If we consider evolutionary biology to be a species of reverse engineering, does this imply that there are reasons for the arrangements of the parts of living things? Whose reasons? Or can there be reasons without a reasoner, designs without a designer?”

Excerpt From: Daniel C. Dennett. “From Bacteria to Bach and Back: The Evolution of Minds.” iBooks. https://itun.es/us/7Gljdb.l"

13-02-2017, 09:47 PM
(13-02-2017 09:03 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(13-02-2017 08:51 PM)Chas Wrote:  No, you dishonest little twat, I only agree insofar as I qualified it.

And I agree with you regardless of how you qualified it. How you qualified it is irrelevant, in fact I'm inclined to agree with your qualifiers as well, but that's irrelevant. The only point relevant to the one I was making is that it's logical, regardless of how that's being qualified.

Quote:Are you really this dishonest or are you just this fucking stupid?

Are you?

Quote: You are a perverted piece of slime.

What are you a prude? I guess I'm the only one with a sense of humor here.

Go fuck yourself, you nasty little shit.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-02-2017, 09:51 PM
(13-02-2017 07:23 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  That wasn't the question. You don't understand why an atheists like Dawkins acknowledges the appearance of design? It's a position you can't relate to, or comprehend the reason for such views? You just don't get it right?

No. I get it. I just don't agree, even taking it at face value (and, in case it was not painfully obvious, the posters here have long since stopped taking anything you quote at face value; I just can't be bothered to go digging for the full quote, as it's irrelevant).

(13-02-2017 07:23 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Nope, that's not my assertion.

Funny. Because that's what you said.

If that isn't your assertion, then, I ask again: What difference do you claim that there would be between a universe designed for us and one that is not?

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
13-02-2017, 10:15 PM
I call bullshit.

Here's the large-scale structure of the universe. Kindly point to the bit that looks designed.

[Image: 2015-12-07-S-L.jpg]

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.