For HobbitGirl

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-09-2015, 10:23 PM
For HobbitGirl
[Image: gowan%20ta%20mordor.PNG?itok=jY7YnFyI]

How Much Lembas Would You Need To Get To Mordor?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
04-09-2015, 10:35 PM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2015 10:38 PM by DLJ.)
RE: For HobbitGirl
Nice.

Although there is a flaw in their calculation.

Quote:Abstract
The Fellowship of the Ring were supposed to travel from Imraldis to the forges of Mt. Doom in order to destroy the One Ring of Sauron. For an ideal journey with all 9 members of the fellowship, using the metabolic rates for each species from [2], the total calorific consumption of the 92-day journey was found to be 1,780,214.59 kcal.
If the elves of Imraldis had provided the Fellowship with lembas, this would equate to them having to carry a total of 675 pieces, or 75 pieces each. For the different species, this equates to 304 for the hobbits, 214 for Gandalf, Aragorn and Boromir; 99 for Gimli and 60 for Legolas

It was not the elves of Imraldis (Rivendell) who supplied the Lembas but the elves of Lothlorien.

Given that much of the subsequent journey was by boat, they would have had to carry maybe 25 each.

Do I get a nerd award?

Smartass

Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
04-09-2015, 10:49 PM
Well, it's a hypothetical to see how much bread it would take FROM Rivendell. I don't think they are picking apart the movie or applying it to what ACTUALLY was depicted.

But, I'll give you top marks for it anyway.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
04-09-2015, 10:57 PM
In related news, I saw this ring sitting in the bathroom last week. I was totally not impressed that it failed to expand to fit my finger. Angry

living word
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
05-09-2015, 12:07 PM
(04-09-2015 10:35 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Nice.

The Fellowship of the Ring were supposed to travel from Imraldis to the forges of Mt. Doom in order to destroy the One Ring of Sauron. For an ideal journey with all 9 members of the fellowship, using the metabolic rates for each species from [2], the total calorific consumption of the 92-day journey was found to be 1,780,214.59 kcal.
If the elves of Imraldis had provided the Fellowship with lembas, this would equate to them having to carry a total of 675 pieces, or 75 pieces each. For the different species, this equates to 304 for the hobbits, 214 for Gandalf, Aragorn and Boromir; 99 for Gimli and 60 for Legolas

It was not the elves of Imraldis (Rivendell) who supplied the Lembas but the elves of Lothlorien.

Given that much of the subsequent journey was by boat, they would have had to carry maybe 25 each.

Do I get a nerd award?

Smartass

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
[+] 2 users Like ELK12695's post
05-09-2015, 12:09 PM
This was all I needed to know before I left! Thank you Chas!

I will make you some as well!

(Haha this was awesome! Thanks for sharing! )
06-09-2015, 08:27 AM

Do I get a nerd award?

Smartass

Yeah, it definitely wasn't the elves of Imraldis, because there is no "Imraldis". It's Imladris Tongue

Even if they're not talking about the actual events, this is not even worth calculating. They probably had fruit from trees and hunted too (what did Sam need salt and pepper for anyway?) and they definitely did not eat as much as they needed all along the way, since by the time Frodo and Sam reached Mordor, they were severely malnourished.

As for the calculations, I tried a couple of them and it's really not right. For example, if Legolas needs 1,400 calories, it's 128,800 calories for 92 days. If a slice of lembas contains 2,638.5 calories, he needs approximately 49 SLICES of lembas, and not 60 LOAVES as the article claims. That's really not much.

Now, do I get the nerd award or what?

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 3 users Like undergroundp's post
06-09-2015, 08:58 PM
(06-09-2015 08:27 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  

Do I get a nerd award?

Smartass

Yeah, it definitely wasn't the elves of Imraldis, because there is no "Imraldis". It's Imladris Tongue

Even if they're not talking about the actual events, this is not even worth calculating. They probably had fruit from trees and hunted too (what did Sam need salt and pepper for anyway?) and they definitely did not eat as much as they needed all along the way, since by the time Frodo and Sam reached Mordor, they were severely malnourished.

As for the calculations, I tried a couple of them and it's really not right. For example, if Legolas needs 1,400 calories, it's 128,800 calories for 92 days. If a slice of lembas contains 2,638.5 calories, he needs approximately 49 SLICES of lembas, and not 60 LOAVES as the article claims. That's really not much.

Now, do I get the nerd award or what?

Bowing

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post