For The "Bernie or Busters"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-06-2016, 11:57 AM
RE: For The "Bernie or Busters"
I'll vote for Hillary if I must. The primary criticism of her is that she'd maintain the status quo. I'd rather have the status quo than the status Hell Fucking No any time.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Mr. Boston's post
10-06-2016, 11:59 AM
Many people don't seem to understand. Because of the electoral college and the state I reside, my vote is quite literally meaningless.

Not every vote really counts. In fact, I'm reminded that my vote is literally meaningless.

Those living swing states are far more relavent to the op.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

10-06-2016, 12:08 PM
(10-06-2016 11:59 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Many people don't seem to understand. Because of the electoral college and the state I reside, my vote is quite literally meaningless.

Not every vote really counts. In fact, I'm reminded that my vote is literally meaningless.

Have your state's electoral college votes ever differed from the popular vote?
10-06-2016, 12:14 PM
(10-06-2016 12:08 PM)ImFred Wrote:  
(10-06-2016 11:59 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Many people don't seem to understand. Because of the electoral college and the state I reside, my vote is quite literally meaningless.

Have your state's electoral college votes ever differed from the popular vote?

Only when a republican is running for president. Drinking Beverage

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
10-06-2016, 12:31 PM
(10-06-2016 12:14 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(10-06-2016 12:08 PM)ImFred Wrote:  Have your state's electoral college votes ever differed from the popular vote?

Only when a republican is running for president. Drinking Beverage

So your states electoral college has never aligned with the popular vote? Could you let me know what state that is in case it comes up on Trivial Pursuit?
10-06-2016, 12:36 PM

Even in swing states, though, the same logic is often used. Has anyone ever won or lost an election by one vote? Probably not, and even if it has happened, it's got to be extremely rare. Therefore my vote doesn't really matter.

But, as others have already pointed out, these things add up. If enough people vote for Bernie Sanders, it could take enough votes away from Clinton to hand the election to Trump (and this sort of thing has happened -- see Ralph Nader). On the other hand, we can dream that if enough people vote for Bernie Sanders (or Jill Stein or whoever your third-party candidate is), he could actually win the election. Right now, that's not realistic, but if enough people start to think that way, it could happen someday. The two-party system is showing some weaknesses these days (the Republicans in particular are just a wee bit splintered at the moment).

My primary concern for now is the Supreme Court. This election is not so much about the next 4-8 years as it is about the next 30-40 years. I absolutely do not want Trump (or any other Republican) packing the court with Scalia clones. And that's why I'm voting for Hillary Clinton, even though I don't like her much. It's vitally important to prevent the court going to a Conservative majority. Of course, I also think that Trump is much worse than Clinton, even aside from the SCOTUS issue. My vote for Clinton is both a SCOTUS vote and a "never Trump" vote.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
10-06-2016, 12:36 PM
(10-06-2016 12:31 PM)ImFred Wrote:  
(10-06-2016 12:14 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Only when a republican is running for president. Drinking Beverage

So your states electoral college has never aligned with the popular vote? Could you let me know what state that is in case it comes up on Trivial Pursuit?

This isn't a difficult thing to understand. Not every vote counts when talking about voting for president.

Swing states could go either way.

My state votes consistently one way.

10-06-2016, 12:57 PM
(10-06-2016 12:36 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(10-06-2016 12:31 PM)ImFred Wrote:  So your states electoral college has never aligned with the popular vote? Could you let me know what state that is in case it comes up on Trivial Pursuit?

This isn't a difficult thing to understand. Not every vote counts when talking about voting for president.

Swing states could go either way.

My state votes consistently one way.

If one equals one and the votes are counted and the electoral votes go to the winner then your vote counts as one vote and brings the candidate you voted for one vote closer to winning the electoral college vote. Math is math, from Alabama to Oregon, one equals one.
10-06-2016, 01:04 PM
(10-06-2016 11:57 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  I'll vote for Hillary if I must. The primary criticism of her is that she'd maintain the status quo. I'd rather have the status quo than the status Hell Fucking No any time.
I'd say that the primary criticism of her is that she's disgustingly corrupt and incapable of handling highly classified information responsibly. I suppose you could call that the "status quo", but in that case I don't see how maintaining it is the better option. The US is currently in many ways closer to third world countries than other Western nations as far as healthcare, public education and infrastructure are concerned. You have a small chance to change that by voting for a genuine candidate like Sanders. That or you can give your vote to a corporate puppet who received literally hundreds of millions of dollars from the very same people who are responsible for and interested in preserving this catastrophic status quo, including brutal, patriarchal dictatorships and monarchies like Saudi Arabia and Qatar. A fine advocate for women's rights and the common working people, indeed.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
10-06-2016, 01:10 PM
Quote:Ralph Nader

People who voted for Nadar did NOT want Bush or Gore to be president. They didn't want to defeat Bush, they wanted to elect Nader. My goal isn't to beat Trump or Clinton. My goal is to beat Trump AND Clinton and anyone else who runs against Jill Stein. I'm not using my vote to reinforce my own oppression. That would be much worse than not voting at all.