For U.S. politicians, atheism is the last taboo

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-12-2013, 01:12 PM
For U.S. politicians, atheism is the last taboo
Just came across this recent article and wanted to share it.

We have a long way to go.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2...00901.html

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like cufflink's post
11-12-2013, 01:37 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2013 01:41 PM by childeye.)
RE: For U.S. politicians, atheism is the last taboo
(11-12-2013 01:12 PM)cufflink Wrote:  Just came across this recent article and wanted to share it.

It depends upon one's definition of God. Religion is also a term that is open to ambiguity. We should not conflate the terms. I am a Christian and yet if I defined God the way most atheists do, I would be an atheist also, as would God Himself. I am a Christian but I do not count myself a follower of any religion, nor does God...
11-12-2013, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the link. It's only a matter of time.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-12-2013, 02:22 PM
(11-12-2013 01:41 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Thanks for the link. It's only a matter of time.

Indeed if the current trend continues in the next 50 years it will be the theists in the minority. Which is of course why they are over reaching now they see the end of the line coming and are panicking.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
11-12-2013, 02:38 PM
(11-12-2013 01:37 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(11-12-2013 01:12 PM)cufflink Wrote:  Just came across this recent article and wanted to share it.

It depends upon one's definition of God. Religion is also a term that is open to ambiguity. We should not conflate the terms. I am a Christian and yet if I defined God the way most atheists do, I would be an atheist also, as would God Himself. I am a Christian but I do not count myself a follower of any religion, nor does God...

You got the idea from a holy book, that by itself is enough to scoff at regardless if you attend a church or claim a particular sect. I am sure other people of other religious beliefs don't go to holy buildings or claim a particular sect. Watering down beliefs to sound inclusive does not make any god real.

Jefferson was a deist but even his "generic" version I would question. Where is the evidence for any non-material invisible sky hero?

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-12-2013, 02:41 PM
(11-12-2013 02:22 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(11-12-2013 01:41 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Thanks for the link. It's only a matter of time.

Indeed if the current trend continues in the next 50 years it will be the theists in the minority. Which is of course why they are over reaching now they see the end of the line coming and are panicking.

And all I keep hearing from them is, "This was predicted! I'll be the last one standing in this war! End times!"

Their declining numbers are just proof, just more fuel for the fire.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
11-12-2013, 04:15 PM

It's hardly a surprise American atheists are as welcome as a pork chop in a synagogue when you look at America's fascistic Foundling* Fathers, i.e. the religious bacillus that oozed ashore in 1620, and the exorbitant, baneful influence these sanctimonious, autocratic maggots have had on America's communal mind ever since. The psalm singing Nazis who really founded America.

*unwelcome everywhere they went in Europe because of their arrogant and totally intolerant doctrine.
11-12-2013, 04:20 PM
Hey Cuffy. Long time no see. Politicians are such hypocrites.
God bless them. Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
11-12-2013, 04:20 PM
Hell, there are states where it's required for those running for public office to believe in a higher power. I don't get how religious belief is a factor in this sort of thing.

“The only reason people do not know much is because they do not care to know. They are incurious. Incuriousity is the oddest and most foolish failing there is.” -Stephen Fry
[+] 1 user Likes Fat Mac's post
11-12-2013, 04:45 PM
(11-12-2013 04:15 PM)The Misanthrope Wrote:  

It's hardly a surprise American atheists are as welcome as a pork chop in a synagogue when you look at America's fascistic Foundling* Fathers, i.e. the religious bacillus that oozed ashore in 1620, and the exorbitant, baneful influence these sanctimonious, autocratic maggots have had on America's communal mind ever since. The psalm singing Nazis who really founded America.

*unwelcome everywhere they went in Europe because of their arrogant and totally intolerant doctrine.

More on why atheists are as welcome as the rats under the house in America.