For U.S. politicians, atheism is the last taboo

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-12-2013, 04:46 PM
RE: For U.S. politicians, atheism is the last taboo
(11-12-2013 02:38 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(11-12-2013 01:37 PM)childeye Wrote:  It depends upon one's definition of God. Religion is also a term that is open to ambiguity. We should not conflate the terms. I am a Christian and yet if I defined God the way most atheists do, I would be an atheist also, as would God Himself. I am a Christian but I do not count myself a follower of any religion, nor does God...

You got the idea from a holy book, that by itself is enough to scoff at regardless if you attend a church or claim a particular sect. I am sure other people of other religious beliefs don't go to holy buildings or claim a particular sect. Watering down beliefs to sound inclusive does not make any god real.

Jefferson was a deist but even his "generic" version I would question. Where is the evidence for any non-material invisible sky hero?
You are mistaken. I didn't get my information from a book nor did those who wrote that book. It is not an idea, it come as a revelation through the Gospel. The term religion can be used for almost anything be it true or false. It is ambiguous.

Proof of that which is eternal is a nonstarter for me. It is well known one cannot prove something is eternal from a temporal state of existence. But we can see that the goodness in the world is Love. To serve Love as your master is therefore worthwhile.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-12-2013, 04:49 PM
(11-12-2013 02:22 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(11-12-2013 01:41 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Thanks for the link. It's only a matter of time.

Indeed if the current trend continues in the next 50 years it will be the theists in the minority. Which is of course why they are over reaching now they see the end of the line coming and are panicking.
According to scripture the last religion on earth will be atheism, the mark of the beast and all that. Those who believe the bible would therefore never panic.
[+] 1 user Likes childeye's post
11-12-2013, 04:53 PM
(11-12-2013 04:49 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(11-12-2013 02:22 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Indeed if the current trend continues in the next 50 years it will be the theists in the minority. Which is of course why they are over reaching now they see the end of the line coming and are panicking.
According to scripture the last religion on earth will be atheism, the mark of the beast and all that. Those who believe the bible would therefore never panic.

Mhmm cause Revelation is of any consideration. Non-canonized the first time around and only just making the cut the second it is a second rate drug trip and mostly incoherent. Part of the long line of mistaking mental illness for devine inspiration.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
11-12-2013, 05:12 PM
Once atheism breaks into US politics, only good things can happen from then on.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." - Henry David Thoreau
11-12-2013, 05:29 PM
(11-12-2013 05:12 PM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  Once atheism breaks into US politics, only good things can happen from then on.

I am ok with it just being secularism, I don't care what people believe in their own time but if they are working for the American people they need to represent every citizen and not just those that have the same imaginary friend.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 6 users Like Revenant77x's post
11-12-2013, 05:45 PM
(11-12-2013 04:53 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(11-12-2013 04:49 PM)childeye Wrote:  According to scripture the last religion on earth will be atheism, the mark of the beast and all that. Those who believe the bible would therefore never panic.

Mhmm cause Revelation is of any consideration. Non-canonized the first time around and only just making the cut the second it is a second rate drug trip and mostly incoherent. Part of the long line of mistaking mental illness for devine inspiration.
Just saying the scripture agrees with you, and you have to find some way to make it irrelevant? Sometimes I think atheists are the best preachers for God.
11-12-2013, 06:26 PM
(11-12-2013 05:45 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(11-12-2013 04:53 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Mhmm cause Revelation is of any consideration. Non-canonized the first time around and only just making the cut the second it is a second rate drug trip and mostly incoherent. Part of the long line of mistaking mental illness for devine inspiration.
Just saying the scripture agrees with you, and you have to find some way to make it irrelevant? Sometimes I think atheists are the best preachers for God.

I don't really think the "scriptures" are worth the paper they are printed on for the most part. But if you want to believe that this is some kind of portent feel free people have been reading omen for hundreds of thousands of years.

11-12-2013, 06:31 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2013 06:52 PM by childeye.)
(11-12-2013 06:26 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(11-12-2013 05:45 PM)childeye Wrote:  Just saying the scripture agrees with you, and you have to find some way to make it irrelevant? Sometimes I think atheists are the best preachers for God.

I don't really think the "scriptures" are worth the paper they are printed on for the most part. But if you want to believe that this is some kind of portent feel free people have been reading omen for hundreds of thousands of years.

Yes you've made it clear what you think of scripture. How could it not? I however do think loving others as I would want to be loved is important and that's what scripture is really all about. That is an omen.
11-12-2013, 06:48 PM
(11-12-2013 06:31 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(11-12-2013 06:26 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I don't really think the "scriptures" are worth the paper they are printed on for the most part. But if you want to believe that this is some kind of portent feel free people have been reading omen for hundreds of thousands of years.

Yes you've made it clear what you think of scripture. As always your atheist reasoning always ends in a contradiction. I do think loving others as I would want to be loved is credible and that's what it is all about. That is an omen.

Yup empathy is a noble goal. We just disagree on how you have to get there.

[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
11-12-2013, 06:54 PM
(11-12-2013 06:48 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(11-12-2013 06:31 PM)childeye Wrote:  Yes you've made it clear what you think of scripture. As always your atheist reasoning always ends in a contradiction. I do think loving others as I would want to be loved is credible and that's what it is all about. That is an omen.

Yup empathy is a noble goal. We just disagree on how you have to get there.
Actually, loving others as you would want to be loved is clearly an individual assessment. I don't think we disagree over anything but a single term and it's meaning.