For U.S. politicians, atheism is the last taboo

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-12-2013, 08:19 PM
RE: For U.S. politicians, atheism is the last taboo
(11-12-2013 04:46 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(11-12-2013 02:38 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  You got the idea from a holy book, that by itself is enough to scoff at regardless if you attend a church or claim a particular sect. I am sure other people of other religious beliefs don't go to holy buildings or claim a particular sect. Watering down beliefs to sound inclusive does not make any god real.

Jefferson was a deist but even his "generic" version I would question. Where is the evidence for any non-material invisible sky hero?
You are mistaken. I didn't get my information from a book nor did those who wrote that book. It is not an idea, it come as a revelation through the Gospel. The term religion can be used for almost anything be it true or false. It is ambiguous.

Proof of that which is eternal is a nonstarter for me. It is well known one cannot prove something is eternal from a temporal state of existence. But we can see that the goodness in the world is Love. To serve Love as your master is therefore worthwhile.

childeye:
Quote:You are mistaken. I didn't get my information from a book nor did those who wrote that book. It is not an idea, it come as a revelation through the Gospel

I see. You got it from a recording/tape/talking book, or from the mouth of Pastor Liddleboy, instead of reading the Gospel. right?

childeye:
Quote:Proof of that which is eternal is a nonstarter for me. It is well known one cannot prove something is eternal from a temporal state of existence.

I'm with you on that one. It is foolish even trying to prove Scrooge McDuck is God so why bother? It is blatantly obvious to the "Wise" he is Our Lord and Our Duck and who cares what sub-human non-believers think! You do believe Scrooge McDuck is God, doncha?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes The Misanthrope's post
11-12-2013, 08:32 PM
(11-12-2013 05:29 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(11-12-2013 05:12 PM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  Once atheism breaks into US politics, only good things can happen from then on.

I am ok with it just being secularism, I don't care what people believe in their own time but if they are working for the American people they need to represent every citizen and not just those that have the same imaginary friend.

When a politician can answer a question about his or her religious beliefs with "How is that any of your business?" without there being a backlash, then I'll be happy.

If I ever run for an office, my answer to such a question will be "How is that any of your fucking business?" I don't actually expect to get elected. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
11-12-2013, 08:45 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2013 09:13 PM by childeye.)
(11-12-2013 08:19 PM)The Misanthrope Wrote:  
Quote:childeye: You are mistaken. I didn't get my information from a book nor did those who wrote that book. It is not an idea, it come as a revelation through the Gospel
Quote: I see. You got it from a recording/tape/talking book, or from the mouth of Pastor Liddleboy, instead of reading the Gospel. right?[/b]
No I didn't. I was raised Catholic and heard the story of the man who suffered a cross and forgave his crucifiers from very young. But I had no idea what it meant, nor did I know what I was supposed to believe about it that was of any significance. I did not even know what a Christ is. No, I got in trouble in my life when I was young. Without going into too much detail I needed help and turned to prayer. I sought God in every way with all of my heart for what was probably a little over a month. I looked for Him in every way I could think of. I drove out to the boonies and yelled for Him asking where He was and saying I needed Him. And then, He answered.

childeye:
Quote:Proof of that which is eternal is a nonstarter for me. It is well known one cannot prove something is eternal from a temporal state of existence.

Quote:I'm with you on that one. It is foolish even trying to prove Scrooge McDuck is God so why bother? It is blatantly obvious to the "Wise" he is Our Lord and Our Duck and who cares what sub-human non-believers think! You do believe Scrooge McDuck is God, doncha?

No, Scrooge McDuck is not my Lord. But it is blatantly obvious to the wise that everyone is serving a master of some sort whether men know it or not.
11-12-2013, 08:48 PM
(11-12-2013 04:20 PM)Fat Mac Wrote:  Hell, there are states where it's required for those running for public office to believe in a higher power. I don't get how religious belief is a factor in this sort of thing.

Yup. But it's completely unconstitutional and unenforceable as was reaffirmed in Torcaso v. Watkins 50 FUCKING YEARS AGO!

As a Marylander I am deeply embarrassed by the wording and don't understand WHY WE DON'T FUCKING CHANGE IT!

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
11-12-2013, 10:59 PM
(11-12-2013 01:37 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(11-12-2013 01:12 PM)cufflink Wrote:  Just came across this recent article and wanted to share it.

We have a long way to go.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2...00901.html
It depends upon one's definition of God.

Do you ever say anything that isn't pure unadulterated bullshit?

Quote: Religion is also a term that is open to ambiguity. We should not conflate the terms.

...or irrelevant quibbling?

Quote: I am a Christian and yet if I defined God the way most atheists do,

And exactly what is that? We are under no obligation to define your fairytale creatures for you. We simply reject the fairy tale creatures YOU describe, for lack of evidence and because they are nonsensical and preposterous.

Quote: I would be an atheist also

You really should think about that. YOU are the one asserting the existence of such things. If you would reject your own bullshit claims, more power to you and welcome to the fold.

Quote:, as would God Himself.

Any (supposed) super-intelligent being would of course reject your fairytale superstitions.

Quote: I am a Christian but I do not count myself a follower of any religion,

Um, dumbass, Christianity IS a religion.

Quote:nor does God...

Word. Salad.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
11-12-2013, 11:07 PM
(11-12-2013 04:46 PM)childeye Wrote:  You are mistaken. I didn't get my information from a book nor did those who wrote that book. It is not an idea, it come as a revelation through the Gospel.

Meaning, from a stupid fairytale BOOK, dumbass.

Quote:The term religion can be used for almost anything be it true or false. It is ambiguous.

Yeah.

Quote:Proof of that which is eternal is a nonstarter for me. It is well known one cannot prove something is eternal from a temporal state of existence. But we can see that the goodness in the world is Love. To serve Love as your master is therefore worthwhile.

[Image: image_thumb.png?w=495&h=618]

[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
11-12-2013, 11:08 PM
(11-12-2013 04:49 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(11-12-2013 02:22 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Indeed if the current trend continues in the next 50 years it will be the theists in the minority. Which is of course why they are over reaching now they see the end of the line coming and are panicking.
According to scripture the last religion on earth will be atheism, the mark of the beast and all that. Those who believe the bible would therefore never panic.

That's really pathetically stupid. Atheism is not a religion, no matter how many times your sorry ass strawmans it.

And all you DO is fucking panic. That's all your silly fairytale book is FOR.

11-12-2013, 11:10 PM
(11-12-2013 05:45 PM)childeye Wrote:  Just saying the scripture agrees with you, and you have to find some way to make it irrelevant? Sometimes I think atheists are the best preachers for God.

Keep talking, idiot. You are making a better case for rejecting your preposterous bullshit than any of us could.

11-12-2013, 11:13 PM
(11-12-2013 06:31 PM)childeye Wrote:  Yes you've made it clear what you think of scripture. How could it not? I however do think loving others as I would want to be loved is important and that's what scripture is really all about. That is an omen.

For fuck's sake. Are you really so delusional that you are not aware that your xtardianity doesn't have a lock on the "Golden Rule", and didn't invent it, not by a long fucking shot?

11-12-2013, 11:17 PM
(11-12-2013 08:45 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(11-12-2013 08:19 PM)The Misanthrope Wrote:  
Quote: I see. You got it from a recording/tape/talking book, or from the mouth of Pastor Liddleboy, instead of reading the Gospel. right?[/b]
No I didn't. I was raised Catholic

So sorry to hear that. It explains a LOT.

Quote: and heard the story MYTH of the blah blah blah....

fixed!

Quote:childeye:

Quote:I'm with you on that one. It is foolish even trying to prove Scrooge McDuck is God so why bother? It is blatantly obvious to the "Wise" he is Our Lord and Our Duck and who cares what sub-human non-believers think! You do believe Scrooge McDuck is God, doncha?

No, Scrooge McDuck is not my Lord. But it is blatantly obvious to the wise that everyone is serving a master of some sort whether men know it or not.

Your making an ad hoc assertion does not make your fantasy bullshit "obvious to the wise"