For all the Star Trek fans out there.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-10-2012, 10:32 AM
RE: For all the Star Trek fans out there.
(19-10-2012 09:44 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  Kirk third, for although he's a demigod among men, he was a bad captain, always pushing crewmen away from their workstations because he believed he could do everyone's job better than they could. Oh, you're a transporter engineer, trained to be an expert in all things related to the transporter? But, something is going wrong, here, get out of my way, I'll show you how to use that transporter. Unrealistic, unlikely, and unbelievable.

Although it wasn't in the future, I can tell you, your description up until this point describes a naval officer I worked for. Last time I say him he was a Commander, but I heard he made Captain, so it is not unbelievable for me. Also, I fucking hated that dick.

Also, you did a pretty good assessment of everyone from the best that I could tell, but to be perfectly honest they only two series that I seriously watched were the original Star Trek, and TNG. I tried the one after that for a while but I just didn't find the characters relatable. I've seen a few episodes of the one after that one as well.

Picard #1

After that, don't even matter.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-10-2012, 10:39 AM
(19-10-2012 10:32 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(19-10-2012 09:44 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  Kirk third, for although he's a demigod among men, he was a bad captain, always pushing crewmen away from their workstations because he believed he could do everyone's job better than they could. Oh, you're a transporter engineer, trained to be an expert in all things related to the transporter? But, something is going wrong, here, get out of my way, I'll show you how to use that transporter. Unrealistic, unlikely, and unbelievable.

Although it wasn't in the future, I can tell you, your description up until this point describes a naval officer I worked for. Last time I say him he was a Commander, but I heard he made Captain, so it is not unbelievable for me. Also, I fucking hated that dick.

Perhaps I should have made it clearer that the unrealistic part was that Kirk was right - he could do everyone's job better than they could. Well, maybe not Bones or Spock, and sometimes not Scotty. But all the crewmen, well, Kirk knew every one of their jobs and was better at all of them than the crewmen were. And still a chess grandmaster, martial arts master, galaxy's best diplomat, more of a ladies' man than James Bond, etc.

I suspect that your navy Captain probably wasn't actually as good at everything as he thought he was. Kirk, on the other hand, really was as good at everything as he thought he was. I also suspect that you weren't the only one who hated that officer. I bet he was extremely unpopular. Kirk was pretty much universally loved by his crew who were all loyal to the point they'd die for him.

That's what makes him unbelievable.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
19-10-2012, 10:52 AM
I am disappointed to learn that there are so many deluded people in this forum. No

It seems you need direct evidence:

'nuff said, Motherfuckers!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
19-10-2012, 12:54 PM
Erx, Picard is better, resistance is futile!

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
19-10-2012, 01:13 PM
(19-10-2012 12:54 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Erx, Picard is better, resistance is futile!

See? That's just the point. Picard became Locutus and almost destroyed the known galaxy. Kirk would never submit to such nefarious shenanigans!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
19-10-2012, 02:14 PM
Oh this is hard. I'm only familiar with Kirk, Picard, and Archer.
Picard is of course the smartest and classiest. The most clever.
Kirk, he knew how to keep Bones and Spock under control.
Archer isn't as smart, not as smart as Picard anyway, but that's what made him so easy to relate to. Plus Archer was the most friendliest with the crew. He didn't always dine with the commanders, he dined with crew a lot.
But with Picard, he lived in the distant future where they obviously had hair renewal restoration, but, he accepted going bald. He was the most aware of his mortality, believing it is better to be human than Q. A man with well established ethics.
I think I'll go with Picard.

"There is a circle here that links us to one another: we each want to be happy; the social feeling of love is one of our greatest sources of happiness; and love entails that we be concerned for the happiness of others. We discover that we can be selfish together."
-Sam Harris
[+] 2 users Like Chase's post
22-10-2012, 02:11 AM
I like how most of you think. Picard is the man, end of discussion. I have a feeling that Kirk had a HUGE portion of luck surrounding him, which is great, but... Archer was interestingly brilliant captain. But I just can't ignore Picard, no matter how good the rest of the Fleet are, Picard is a whole new league.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
22-10-2012, 07:40 AM
Re: For all the Star Trek fans out there.
Scott Bacula!!

No other capitano swapped through bodies across history as often as he did... Maybe I'm mixing my shows..

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
22-10-2012, 07:41 AM
Rock, paper, scissors, lizard, spock!
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
23-10-2012, 09:00 PM
(22-10-2012 07:40 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Scott Bacula!!

No other capitano swapped through bodies across history as often as he did... Maybe I'm mixing my shows..

Puts hands on cheeks and says "oh boy".