For our debaters (mainly of politics)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-09-2016, 11:27 AM
RE: For our debaters (mainly of politics)
(05-09-2016 11:26 AM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  
(05-09-2016 11:20 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Easy for you to say. Try ding it with psychomotor retardation. Tongue

Of course, it's easier said than done. Trust me,

Don't need to.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2016, 01:35 PM
(05-09-2016 10:53 AM)SYZ Wrote:  Like most other folks with an IQ at least in triple digits, I enjoy a meaningful debate about the things that matter in the mid- to long-term, and on a more global level.

I find far too many people these days—and surprisingly more so with the so-called 'millennials'—that public debate is becoming a thing of the past. Lots of Aussie kids are very inarticulate when it comes to their expressing a worldly point of view.

Ask an Australian teenager if he/she thinks global warming is anthropogenic, and you'll get a response along the lines of "Uh... err, yeah, I s'pose so". End of debate—such as it was LOL.

Press them further and their response will be something like "Ummm... shit, I dunno. Someone said that on Facebook."

Facepalm

When have teenagers ever been coherent? Tongue

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
05-09-2016, 01:51 PM
(05-09-2016 10:53 AM)SYZ Wrote:  Like most other folks with an IQ at least in triple digits, I enjoy a meaningful debate about the things that matter in the mid- to long-term, and on a more global level.

I find far too many people these days—and surprisingly more so with the so-called 'millennials'—that public debate is becoming a thing of the past. Lots of Aussie kids are very inarticulate when it comes to their expressing a worldly point of view.

Ask an Australian teenager if he/she thinks global warming is anthropogenic, and you'll get a response along the lines of "Uh... err, yeah, I s'pose so". End of debate—such as it was LOL.

Press them further and their response will be something like "Ummm... shit, I dunno. Someone said that on Facebook."

Facepalm

Isn't it idealizing the past? Judt wrote in his "Postwar" that in the past voice of intelectuals was more important but he don't wrote about debates having better quality and I tend to agree.

It is enough to look on the Reich and USSR to see how debates fared, or for less obvilus examples Eufope behind Iron Courtain. Demagogery and appeals to emotion (lack of knowledge too) aren't modern inventions.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
05-09-2016, 04:05 PM
(05-09-2016 10:35 AM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  Maybe this thread is just something I need so I don't lose my sanity. That could be it. Sorry about any inconveniences.

No you are OKAY.

It depends upon the time and place where one lives. To be free to argue is a blessing. Or, it could be like this.

It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong.
Voltaire

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
05-09-2016, 05:42 PM
I guess I'll fucking chill out, then, goddamn.
[+] 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
05-09-2016, 06:14 PM
(05-09-2016 05:42 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I guess I'll fucking chill out, then, goddamn.

How dare you speak to me like that! Tongue

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
[+] 4 users Like Banjo's post
05-09-2016, 11:15 PM
(05-09-2016 06:14 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(05-09-2016 05:42 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I guess I'll fucking chill out, then, goddamn.

How dare you speak to me like that! Tongue

You wanna take it outside, Bozo?
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
06-09-2016, 01:22 AM
(05-09-2016 11:15 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(05-09-2016 06:14 PM)Banjo Wrote:  How dare you speak to me like that! Tongue

You wanna take it outside, Bozo?

Knights who say NI!

Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
06-09-2016, 01:34 AM
Hi,

For me, the best moment in a debate is when I realise someone has a good point that I hadn't thought of. Then I might have to do the old: thesis, anti-thesis, synthesis shimmy. OTOH I might just fold. Smile

One view that I haven't folded on is that people who 'have to be right' don't debate.

D.
[+] 1 user Likes Dworkin's post
06-09-2016, 01:48 AM
If by chill you mean something like this air drop scene from a famous documentary featuring Steve McQueen I'd say you've got the right idea:

[Image: Blob_Drop.jpg]