For those atheists that believe in objective morality, can you prove it?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-03-2014, 05:57 AM
RE: For those atheists that believe in objective morality, can you prove it?
(12-03-2014 05:56 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(12-03-2014 05:52 AM)donotwant Wrote:  What do you mean by health?

Considering you're the one intent on moving the subject around, I'm not going to spell out an argument one way or the other only for you to go and say 'well, that's not what I mean by health'.

You asked me the question, I want clarification before I formulate a response.
Well we discuss if you think that health is subjective or not so I want to see what do you mean by health. Now come on tell me.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-03-2014, 06:15 AM
(12-03-2014 05:57 AM)donotwant Wrote:  
(12-03-2014 05:56 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Considering you're the one intent on moving the subject around, I'm not going to spell out an argument one way or the other only for you to go and say 'well, that's not what I mean by health'.

You asked me the question, I want clarification before I formulate a response.
Well we discuss if you think that health is subjective or not so I want to see what do you mean by health. Now come on tell me.

What is considered healthy is subjective.

100,000 years ago, living to the age of 20 without dying of an tooth borne infection would probably have been considered 'good health'. Now someone that is 5'10 and 150 lbs might consider themselves 'healthy', while another person might with the same weight and height may consider themselves 'unhealthy' because they think they are either too fat, too skinny, or possibly for some other reason.

I know what you're getting at, so I'll spell it out. Yes we can attempt to objectively evaluate what choices can make us healthier, depending on how each of us defines 'healthy'. To an anorexic, this means starving yourself to get thinner. To a professional athlete this might mean dieting and exercise, or abusing steroids. Once again 5'10 and 150 lbs might just be fine for some people, but would that be considered a 'healthy' end goal for NFL linebacker? How about a sumo wrestler? These professionals have a very different end goal for what they consider 'healthy' to meet the demands for their sport.

So once again, the goal or the scale used to judge is subjective (do you go by BMI, how long it takes you to run a mile, or just how 'good' you feel after working out?); but within that framework you can attempt to make objective distinctions between which choices and actions will further your goal better (like eating lots of protein to bulk up as a bodybuilder, which would not be as valuable to an olympic fencer).

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
12-03-2014, 06:17 AM
Is it more healthy to brush teeth or not to?
12-03-2014, 06:19 AM
(12-03-2014 06:17 AM)donotwant Wrote:  Is it more healthy to brush teeth or not to?

If you goal is to avoid tooth decay and tooth borne infections, then brushing your teeth to prevent these would help one stay 'healthy' in this way.

12-03-2014, 06:20 AM
If tooth decay is healthy or not is a matter of opinion?
12-03-2014, 06:22 AM
(12-03-2014 06:17 AM)donotwant Wrote:  Is it more healthy to brush teeth or not to?

Depends on how much you brush them. You can brush off all the enamel if you are obsessed with it. Apparently it is worse after drinking orange juice.
12-03-2014, 06:28 AM
(12-03-2014 06:22 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  

Depends on how much you brush them. You can brush off all the enamel if you are obsessed with it. Apparently it is worse after drinking orange juice.

It doesn't devalue brushing teeth in anyway. Just says that it has harmful effects to HEALTH if overdone.
What we are discussing here is what state of teeth are more healthy than others. And if it's just a matter of opinion or not.
Are teeth which are intact and in place healthier than if they are gonna decay and fall out?
12-03-2014, 06:30 AM
(12-03-2014 06:20 AM)donotwant Wrote:  If tooth decay is healthy or not is a matter of opinion?

If you consider tooth decay healthy (maybe for religious purposes or simple misinformation), then not brushing your teeth would make you healthier by allowing your teeth to decay faster.

If however you consider keeping all of your teeth in place and cavity free, then brushing your teeth would help in keeping with your goal of being healthier along this line of thinking.

Yep, what is considered 'healthy' is just as subjective as what is considered a good guide for moral behavior. Imagine that... Consider

12-03-2014, 06:31 AM
So a person who says tooth decay is healthy his opinion is just as valid as yours? It's just a matter of opinion? Come on say it.
12-03-2014, 06:38 AM
(12-03-2014 06:31 AM)donotwant Wrote:  So a person who says tooth decay is healthy his opinion is just as valid as yours? It's just a matter of opinion? Come on say it.

It is, it is all subjective. Now I can use reasons and evidence to support my personal subjective valuation of the maintenance of my teeth by brushing them. However if someone else has a religious belief that tooth-decay brings them closer to their god and that is what they use as a measurement of health, all I can do is try to persuade them. But within their own subjective framework, allowing their teeth to rot by not brushing them makes them healthier from their perspective. I don't have to agree with their subjective choice of values, but that doesn't make my values objectively better than theirs.

All we can do is appeal to reason.