For those atheists that believe in objective morality, can you prove it?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-03-2014, 01:27 PM
(11-03-2014 01:20 PM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  
(11-03-2014 01:19 PM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  Some examples of the Abrahamic god's "objective morality".

If two men are fighting and the wife of one of them comes to rescue her husband from his assailant, and she reaches out and seizes him by his private parts, you shall cut off her hand. Show her no pity. Deuteronomy 25:11-12

When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment. Exodus 21:7-11

If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her. Deuteronomy 22:28-29

All who curse their father or mother must be put to death. They are guilty of a capital offense. Leviticus 20:9

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ. Ephesians 6:5

Anyone who is captured will be run through with a sword. Their little children will be dashed to death right before their eyes. Their homes will be sacked and their wives raped by the attacking hordes. For I will stir up the Medes against Babylon, and no amount of silver or gold will buy them off. The attacking armies will shoot down the young people with arrows. They will have no mercy on helpless babies and will show no compassion for the children. Isaiah 13:15-18

Is this really a morality you support?

No. What does that have to do with anything?

Because you're weakly claiming objective morality exists. Which objective morality, if not this one?

How about Hobbes Social Contract?

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2014, 01:29 PM
RE: For those atheists that believe in objective morality, can you prove it?
(11-03-2014 01:20 PM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  No. What does that have to do with anything?

That's the crap you believe in when you start needing gods to have an "objective morality".
11-03-2014, 01:30 PM
(11-03-2014 01:25 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(11-03-2014 01:09 PM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  

You know what a Strawman Fallacy is, right?

Of course you don't.

Fucking idiot.

(11-03-2014 01:20 PM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  No. What does that have to do with anything?

It's YOUR xtard "objective morality.

And YES, you have shown your hand that you are an xtard apologist.

Prove where I claimed I follow the bible.
11-03-2014, 01:31 PM
(11-03-2014 01:27 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  

Because you're weakly claiming objective morality exists. Which objective morality, if not this one?

How about Hobbes Social Contract?

I don't believe in objective morality.
11-03-2014, 01:32 PM
(11-03-2014 12:59 PM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  Can you show me how morals acquire the ability to leap out of your brains, or of any other brain for that matter, and become an 'object'? If so, by what process does this occur?

1. I don't know of any self proclaimed atheist that claims the existence of an objective morality, and so far as I know we don't have anyone on the forums that espouses such a view.

2. So far as I can tell objective morality does not exist, at best we can try to objectively measure our options along a subjective scale (otherwise known as ethics)

3. With your actions you are failing miserably at convincing the more even-keeled members of the forums that you are anything but the troll Taq is accusing you of being.

Drinking Beverage

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
I see Slimey Jimmy is still playing "20 Stupid Questions".
I see, along with every other subject here, you also have never cracked and Anthropology book.

You call this god "moral " ?
Deuteronomy 21:18-21

18 If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them:
19 Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place;
20 And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard.
21 And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear

Please do not consider reproducing, SlimeyJimmy.
You and your deity might kill your children.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
(11-03-2014 01:27 PM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  I do not believe in objective morality.

I do not believe in objective beauty.

But I do believe Megan Fox is more beautiful than Tilda Swinton.

How can I say such a thing without a standard of beauty?

I didn't say I had no standard of beauty. I said I had no OBJECTIVE one.

I have no objective standard of morality, either. But my subjective standard of morality is far superior to Jehovah's.

It is superior in what way? What is the purpose of morality, you think?
11-03-2014, 01:33 PM
(11-03-2014 01:32 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I see Slimey Jimmy is still playing "20 Stupid Questions".
I see, along with every other subject here, you also have never cracked and Anthropology book.

You call this god "moral " ?
Deuteronomy 21:18-21

18 If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them:
19 Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place;
20 And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard.
21 And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear

Please do not consider reproducing, SlimeyJimmy.
You and your deity might kill your children.

Please quote me wherever I have claimed that I currently follow the bible.

Oh wait, you can't.
11-03-2014, 01:35 PM
(11-03-2014 01:32 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(11-03-2014 12:59 PM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  Can you show me how morals acquire the ability to leap out of your brains, or of any other brain for that matter, and become an 'object'? If so, by what process does this occur?

1. I don't know of any self proclaimed atheist that claims the existence of an objective morality, and so far as I know we don't have anyone on the forums that espouses such a view.

2. So far as I can tell objective morality does not exist, at best we can try to objectively measure our options along a subjective scale (otherwise known as ethics)

3. With your actions you are failing miserably at convincing the more even-keeled members of the forums that you are anything but the troll Taq is accusing you of being.

Drinking Beverage

Doesn't Harris argue for such?
11-03-2014, 01:35 PM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2014 01:41 PM by rampant.a.i..)
(11-03-2014 01:32 PM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  
(11-03-2014 01:27 PM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  I do not believe in objective morality.

I do not believe in objective beauty.

But I do believe Megan Fox is more beautiful than Tilda Swinton.

How can I say such a thing without a standard of beauty?

I didn't say I had no standard of beauty. I said I had no OBJECTIVE one.

I have no objective standard of morality, either. But my subjective standard of morality is far superior to Jehovah's.

It is superior in what way? What is the purpose of morality, you think?

Dunno, what do you think?

P.S.: Hobbes Social Contract doesn't describe objective morality.

Self-interest + Rational + Submit to an authority enforcing subjective but agreed-upon self-protecting moral framework = Social Contract.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes