For those atheists that believe in objective morality, can you prove it?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-03-2014, 04:52 PM
RE: For those atheists that believe in objective morality, can you prove it?
(11-03-2014 04:46 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(11-03-2014 12:59 PM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  Can you show me how morals acquire the ability to leap out of your brains, or of any other brain for that matter, and become an 'object'? If so, by what process does this occur?

Haven't read the thread yet, sorry if this has already been asked.

Please give an example of an atheist believing in an objective morality so that we may attempt to figure out what you are going on about.

Matt Dillahunty.

'xcept, he's wrong.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2014, 04:55 PM
(11-03-2014 04:52 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(11-03-2014 04:46 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  Haven't read the thread yet, sorry if this has already been asked.

Please give an example of an atheist believing in an objective morality so that we may attempt to figure out what you are going on about.

Matt Dillahunty.

'xcept, he's wrong.

Where is he wrong?
11-03-2014, 04:58 PM
(11-03-2014 04:50 PM)Charis Wrote:  
(11-03-2014 12:59 PM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  Can you show me how morals acquire the ability to leap out of your brains, or of any other brain for that matter, and become an 'object'? If so, by what process does this occur?

I am getting the most hilarious, albeit violent, mental pictures right now. The movie "Alien" comes to mind...

Good to know that I'm not alone in that Blush Actually I thought it sounded like something from Rocco's Modern Life. Wow, that's been years since I've seen that show...

But to answer the question, no I don't believe morality is an object. Well, maybe technically since morals involves thinking which involves the brain which is an object which is stretching it big time. But thoughts of things to believe and actions to do? Nah. Mostly because my morals come from my ideas and thoughts and I act upon them. There's no like cube I pick up that causes me to develop my morals. If my morals change, it's because I've thought about it. Nothing really physical or object related. And since morals aren't physical idk if there's any real way to "show" you rather than tell you so yeah....

[Image: notagain.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Miss Suzanne's post
11-03-2014, 05:02 PM
There seems to be a bit of confusion between the noun, "object" and the adjective, "objective."

Here... look down at the adjective section.
[+] 1 user Likes Charis's post
11-03-2014, 05:09 PM
(11-03-2014 02:54 PM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  
(11-03-2014 02:52 PM)donotwant Wrote:  Define objective.

It exists outside of your brain.

This might be where the confusion lays and why you seem to think people are arguing that morality has a physical presence. It's normally the theists who believe that morality would continue to exist even if the human race were to be wiped out. I've used the concept of morality as a physical object as a means to ridicule their stance because the idea of a physical morality is ludicrous.

But the term objective doesn't just mean to say that something is an object. The first definition from google is

(of a person or their judgement) not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering and representing facts.

This is the most common usage of the term, otherwise it's like saying that something is square and only using it in relation to something that actually is a square.

As Simon Moon pointed out in post 44, secular morality has a chance of being superior because we can reason about it and choose laws that are more efficacious in satisfying certain constants, such as the desire not to suffer that is common to all animals. This would be considered objective because it would result from reasoning rather than personal bigotry or upbringing which is different for each person.

But you misunderstood him and thought he meant that morality is an object and this resulted in the face palm smiley of post 91.

At no time is anyone saying that morality is an object. Not even christians want to admit to that.
11-03-2014, 05:18 PM
(11-03-2014 04:41 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(11-03-2014 02:40 PM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  WE have such desires, but that doesn't matter beyond us. We feel such things because nature intended us to.

Ummm, no. Nature intends nothing; nature has no intent, no purpose, no direction, no goal.

Our brains/minds evolved patterns of thought and feeling that aided survival better than others.

I think we can agree that Natural law needs to be put down.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
11-03-2014, 05:23 PM
(11-03-2014 04:42 PM)Miss Meng Wrote:  
(11-03-2014 04:41 PM)Chas Wrote:  Ummm, no. Nature intends nothing; nature has no intent, no purpose, no direction, no goal.

Our brains/minds evolved patterns of thought and feeling that aided survival better than others.

Is this the current, official propaganda, Chas? Do I get a medal if I tow the line like you? Laugh out load

~ Miss Meng

You get a pat on the head like the good family doggie you are! Who's a good girl? Who's a good girl?

Whose breath smells like their own feces? That's right, it's you! Good girl!

Now fetch the ball! Fetch it!
Good girl!

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 2 users Like rampant.a.i.'s post
11-03-2014, 05:53 PM
(11-03-2014 04:42 PM)Miss Meng Wrote:  
(11-03-2014 04:41 PM)Chas Wrote:  Ummm, no. Nature intends nothing; nature has no intent, no purpose, no direction, no goal.

Is this the current, official propaganda, Chas? Do I get a medal if I tow the line like you? Laugh out load

~ Miss Meng

That's "toe the line". Drinking Beverage Your ignorance is deep.

That is the evolutionary explanation. However, since you clearly do not understand evolution, you didn't understand what I wrote.

I suggest you actually read some books on evolution from scientists before you commit further buffoonery here.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-03-2014, 06:07 PM
Buffoons drink tea too, Chas.
11-03-2014, 06:15 PM
(11-03-2014 01:27 PM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  I do not believe in objective morality.

I do not believe in objective beauty.

But I do believe Megan Fox is more beautiful than Tilda Swinton.

How can I say such a thing without a standard of beauty?

I didn't say I had no standard of beauty. I said I had no OBJECTIVE one.

I have no objective standard of morality, either. But my subjective standard of morality is far superior to Jehovah's.

Which is more beautiful ?

[Image: Screen-shot-2012-05-15-at-6.05.43-PM.png]

or

[Image: world-most-beautiful-woman-redit__oPt.jpg]

WHY ?

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]