For those that have debated with me...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-06-2012, 04:48 PM
RE: For those that have debated with me...
I did some experimentation after high school. Namely with savlia divinorum and mushrooms.

They showed me how powerful my brain was, and how easy it was to be deceived. Knowing that what was happening wasn't real, made the experience interesting. But the lesson was important, I simply cannot always trust my senses and feelings.

I need other people to come in and put my points of view, senses, and thoughts on trial to see how accurate they are. I think getting to the point where you realize that your sensory input isn't always correct is where a person learns to separate the subjective from the objective.

Your experience to me seems like a strong personal feeling. Rather than something rooted from out side your body.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like fstratzero's post
28-06-2012, 09:55 PM
(28-06-2012 04:24 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(28-06-2012 04:23 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  I also take you've never taken hallucinogenic drugs?

No. Never had. Never even tried marijuana.
Well that's your problem right there.
Idea

But I say skip the soft stuff and move straight to LSD or Ayahuasca (e.g. the "spirit vine" or "vine of the souls"):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayahuasca

It's funny because I did a ton of hallucinogens in my youth, when I was still a diehard theist. Many of my trips were with a child-hood friend studying to be a rabbi. We both thought that drugs were just one of many channels to commune with god/Brahman.

He died in a tragic accident. I went on to become an atheist.

Sometimes I wonder where he's be right about now and what I'd say to him if he still held onto any of those old delusions of ours.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
[+] 1 user Likes lightninlives's post
29-06-2012, 10:14 AM
(28-06-2012 02:28 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(28-06-2012 01:59 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  How did that happen?

Not really sure.

It just happened.

I had one of these.

May I suggest doing some research into neurology? I'm highly thinking from your commentary that you don't realize how unreliable the brain is when it comes to using personal powerful experiences as evidence.
[+] 1 user Likes Godless's post
29-06-2012, 10:18 AM
(28-06-2012 09:55 PM)lightninlives Wrote:  
(28-06-2012 04:24 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  No. Never had. Never even tried marijuana.
Well that's your problem right there.
Idea

But I say skip the soft stuff and move straight to LSD or Ayahuasca (e.g. the "spirit vine" or "vine of the souls"):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayahuasca

It's funny because I did a ton of hallucinogens in my youth, when I was still a diehard theist. Many of my trips were with a child-hood friend studying to be a rabbi. We both thought that drugs were just one of many channels to commune with god/Brahman.

He died in a tragic accident. I went on to become an atheist.

Sometimes I wonder where he's be right about now and what I'd say to him if he still held onto any of those old delusions of ours.
LSD experiences convinced me that mind is based on brain, that mind is an emergent property of the brain. Change the hardware, it affects the software.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
03-07-2012, 10:38 PM
(28-06-2012 02:26 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(28-06-2012 01:01 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  When one debates reality vs fantasy, I don't think you can really call that a debate.

Yet another new and exciting comment toward the Christian of the board.

But really, are you just following my stuff to make posts like this?

Has he been posting small things in your threads a lot? This statement is actually perfectly reasonable since truthfully there's gotta be some fantasy somewhere =p I really just didn't see this statement as an attack on christianity since it works both ways. Maybe it's cause I'm not in the croshairs.

Just read your response to my message, I'm not sure I'll be able to get a god list for a while. Trying to make the most of my time in Canada which is down to 2 months. I was working from memory o to bring references I'll have to read through your stuff some. If I find the time I'll do it, but I'm not sure I will.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
03-07-2012, 11:05 PM
(28-06-2012 04:01 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(28-06-2012 03:50 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  That description is pretty vague. I wanted to know what the experience was.

I wrote about it here.

The Good Book sayeth that the demons too can perform miracles; could this have happened to you in a similar way to Saul of Tarsus? Angel Ohmy Evil_monster
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
06-07-2012, 01:40 AM
(25-06-2012 04:18 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I'm always looking for positive criticism and ways to better my approach and skills in debating.

A common gripe with atheists when it comes to the big boy theist debaters is that they are being "inconsistent" or "dishonest" or "using mental gymnastics" or something else like this.

Which negative traits do I use and need to lose?

Do you feel my theology is consistent and reconciled?

Am I fair in my arguments?
I have found you fair and open minded thus far.

In the answers you have given me you have basically said 'I don't know.' Which I admire.

It's OK to not know the answer. I wish more people would realize that.

With your open mindedness and reason the only thing that boggles me is that your not an atheist by now.

Forget Jesus. Stars died so you could live.-Lawrence Krauss

For god loved the world so much he tortured his only begotten son, gave him a 3 day nap only to wake up in ultimate awesomeness and called it a sacrifice.
09-07-2012, 06:10 AM
I don't know if you'll consider this positive criticism but I think it is constructive.

Your arguments will never have any power until you base them on demonstrable evidence rather than circular assertions.
[+] 2 users Like Jeff's post
10-07-2012, 04:34 PM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2012 04:58 PM by bemore.)
(09-07-2012 06:10 AM)Jeff Wrote:  I don't know if you'll consider this positive criticism but I think it is constructive.

Your arguments will never have any power until you base them on demonstrable evidence rather than circular assertions.
Thumbsup

I agree with this statement KC....... Although im interested to know why you wish to further your debating skills with us???

To feel the need to betterment/improvement comes from somewhere.

Is it because you feel the need to understand us more...... or is it the need that you wish for us to understand you more???

A mixture of both or is it something else compleltly???

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
10-07-2012, 08:55 PM
(28-06-2012 04:48 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  I did some experimentation after high school. Namely with savlia divinorum and mushrooms.

They showed me how powerful my brain was, and how easy it was to be deceived. Knowing that what was happening wasn't real, made the experience interesting. But the lesson was important, I simply cannot always trust my senses and feelings.

I need other people to come in and put my points of view, senses, and thoughts on trial to see how accurate they are.

You almost got it. But I'd be careful about trusting them other fuckers for grounding.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.