For those who reject the existence of Jesus...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-03-2014, 02:11 AM
RE: For those who reject the existence of Jesus...
(10-03-2014 10:37 PM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  
(10-03-2014 10:38 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  But there isn't a lot of "historical consistency" in the bible.

Irrelevant.

My point was in regards to consistency in historical validation of figures in antiquity.

Your "point" (if one could call it that) has been refuted more that 10 times from multiple angles. You haven't responded. The conversation has moved on. You haven't.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2014, 02:16 AM
(10-03-2014 11:56 PM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  
(10-03-2014 11:47 PM)Logisch Wrote:  Also, even if a jesus existed (for the sake of discussion), how would someone decide next that said person was actually the son of god? Many people have claimed to be such a fellow. Even if someone walked around (jesus) and was written about in a book, how does that make the story credible about that person being a figure of a deity? If someone wrote a book and made a religion about me, would that make me the son of god 2 thousand years later if people bought into said book?

Not the point.

Making the point 'that there is indeed a set of consistent standards and methods in determining the historicity of any given figure in antiquity' is irrelevant for the 'Atheism and theism' section where this thread is posted.

The point only becomes relevant to subjects of atheism and theism if the OP then proceeds to make claims that this historical figure had some magical powers, which is what Logisch is discounting in advance.

Therefore Logisch's reply is actually more relevant to this section than the OP.

This thread could easily have been started in the history section instead in which case people would be less likely to anticipate the next step of the OP.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
11-03-2014, 02:16 AM
(11-03-2014 02:11 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(10-03-2014 10:37 PM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  Irrelevant.

My point was in regards to consistency in historical validation of figures in antiquity.

Your "point" (if one could call it that) has been refuted more that 10 times from multiple angles. You haven't responded. The conversation has moved on. You haven't.

I have already accepted everyone's position.
11-03-2014, 02:17 AM
(10-03-2014 10:33 PM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  For someone claiming to be non-religious, you sure talk a lot about religion(s).

The very reason I, and many others here as well, are not Christian is because we know so much more about Christianity (it's history, origins, and what the books actually say) than most who self identify as Christians. There's a very good reason why in national polling about religion, those who identify as Atheists score as the most knowledgeable overall; higher than any other religious group (usually followed by Jews and Mormons).

Walk up to your average Catholic and ask then to define or explain Transubstantiation, and they'll probably look at your dumbfounded; while there is a much higher chance that someone who identities as an atheist can explain it to you. By the way, Transubstantiation is the belief that during communion the Eucharist becomes the literal (not figurative) body and blood of Jesus Christ; which makes Catholic communion literally a cannibalistic ceremony (provided the laws of nature where regularly violated in this manner, fortunately we have no evidence that it does).

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
11-03-2014, 02:22 AM
(11-03-2014 02:17 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(10-03-2014 10:33 PM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  For someone claiming to be non-religious, you sure talk a lot about religion(s).

The very reason I, and many others here as well, are not Christian is because we know so much more about Christianity (it's history, origins, and what the books actually say) than most who self identify as Christians. There's a very good reason why in national polling about religion, those who identify as Atheists score as the most knowledgeable overall; higher than any other religious group (usually followed by Jews and Mormons).

Walk up to your average Catholic and ask then to define or explain Transubstantiation, and they'll probably look at your dumbfounded; while there is a much higher chance that someone who identities as an atheist can explain it to you. By the way, Transubstantiation is the belief that during communion the Eucharist becomes the literal (not figurative) body and blood of Jesus Christ; which makes Catholic communion literally a cannibalistic ceremony (provided the laws of nature where regularly violated in this manner, fortunately we have no evidence that it does).

How is this relevant?
11-03-2014, 02:25 AM
(11-03-2014 02:16 AM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  
(11-03-2014 02:11 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Your "point" (if one could call it that) has been refuted more that 10 times from multiple angles. You haven't responded. The conversation has moved on. You haven't.

I have already accepted everyone's position.

Why not be well mannered by answering the questions addressed to you?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-03-2014, 02:26 AM
(11-03-2014 02:25 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(11-03-2014 02:16 AM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  I have already accepted everyone's position.

Why not be well mannered by answering the questions addressed to you?

I have answered any I deem worthy of such.
11-03-2014, 02:31 AM

We talk about all religions in a fair light because they affect our lives,we're not fixated on certain type of monotheism like you.Dodgy

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
11-03-2014, 02:48 AM
(11-03-2014 02:22 AM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  
(11-03-2014 02:17 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  The very reason I, and many others here as well, are not Christian is because we know so much more about Christianity (it's history, origins, and what the books actually say) than most who self identify as Christians. There's a very good reason why in national polling about religion, those who identify as Atheists score as the most knowledgeable overall; higher than any other religious group (usually followed by Jews and Mormons).

How is this relevant?

I love how you've ignored all of my previous on-point responses, and only when I go off on a tangent because I'm getting bored with talking to a wall, now do you decide to finally respond to me... Dodgy

However the point that you've seemed to miss is this; many of the non-religious are non-religious because we know so much more about religion than the religious. This might seem surprising to those who profess belief, but many of the people here who no longer believe did at one time; and many of them were deeply entrenched in their religions.

So it should not come as a surprise, all things considered, that some non-religious folk talk about religion a lot.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
11-03-2014, 02:56 AM
(11-03-2014 02:31 AM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  

We talk about all religions in a fair light because they affect our lives,we're not fixated on certain type of monotheism like you.Dodgy

Christianity has directly effected me, and it is still all around me.