For those who reject the existence of Jesus...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-03-2014, 11:22 AM
For those who reject the existence of Jesus...
(11-03-2014 03:26 AM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  
(11-03-2014 03:01 AM)Lightvader Wrote:  actually,i don't. I only talk about religion if people have asked my opinion,wich they do rarely since they know they won't like the answer

You've made thousands of posts on this forum, and they don't have to do with religion or God?

Irrelevant. This is a discussion forum, not your personal Q&A forum.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like rampant.a.i.'s post
11-03-2014, 11:30 AM
RE: For those who reject the existence of Jesus...
Hey guys, remember when Drich said there was no evidence for Augustus?

Oh, how we laughed. Good times.

... this is my signature!
[+] 4 users Like cjlr's post
11-03-2014, 11:38 AM
(11-03-2014 11:16 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  ...

Ps join us in the sexy banter thread. Our fantasies about you will be better if you're actually around Big Grin

Ohmy
Now I'm scared!

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
11-03-2014, 11:42 AM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2014 11:48 AM by BlackMason.)
(10-03-2014 12:02 AM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  Do you also reject the existence of Socrates and Archimedes?

My point is simply that there is indeed a set of consistent standards and methods in determining the historicity of any given figure in antiquity.

There is no archaeological evidence for the existence of Archimedes. His existence hangs entirely on textual evidence, just like Jesus. This is the case for most figures in antiquity. Even then the references given on Archimedes, primarily Livy and Polybius, only give scant mentions written some 75 years after his death at the earliest. Most of it comes over 150 years later. That is quite typical of this field. Jesus has more textual evidence than almost anyone of this era written 25-75 years after the crucifixion.

If the existence of Jesus is to be called into question, then we must apply the same standards across the board. No?

Firstly Archemedes and Socretes were not gods. Neither were they the sons of gods or demi-gods. They were mortals. Regular Joes that were influential in their times.

I'm gonna appeal to the claim versus the evidence for it. The bolder the claim the higher the level of evidence that is required to discharge the burden of proof. Naturally Socrates and Archimedes don't present bold claims when dealing with their existence. Jesus on the other hand is radically different and requires the highest standard of evidence to prove his existence. Even more so since he allegedly still lives.

The bible doesn't count as proof because it is the claim. It amounts to circular reasoning when the claim doubles up as the proof.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
[+] 2 users Like BlackMason's post
11-03-2014, 11:42 AM
(11-03-2014 11:38 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(11-03-2014 11:16 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  ...

Ps join us in the sexy banter thread. Our fantasies about you will be better if you're actually around Big Grin

Ohmy
Now I'm scared!

You need to bring your own tentacles though. I checked. They aren't supplying many.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
11-03-2014, 11:53 AM
(11-03-2014 11:42 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(11-03-2014 11:38 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Ohmy
Now I'm scared!
tentacles

Was that a typo?

Shocking

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
11-03-2014, 11:56 AM
(11-03-2014 11:53 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(11-03-2014 11:42 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  ...
tentacles

Was that a typo?

Shocking

Big Grin Only 1 way to find out.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
11-03-2014, 11:57 AM
(11-03-2014 03:26 AM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  
(11-03-2014 03:01 AM)Lightvader Wrote:  actually,i don't. I only talk about religion if people have asked my opinion,wich they do rarely since they know they won't like the answer

You've made thousands of posts on this forum, and they don't have to do with religion or God?

"i only talk about religion if people ask my opinion"
so i did and still do talk about god,just not a lot.(you said "for someone claiming to be irreligious,you sure talk about god a lot") I am mostly here for the community,not to talk about god. If you have time,you can look trough all my 2000+ post and count how much i post about religious stuff

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
[+] 2 users Like Lightvader's post
11-03-2014, 11:58 AM
(11-03-2014 11:42 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(11-03-2014 11:38 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Ohmy
Now I'm scared!

You need to bring your own tentacles though. I checked. They aren't supplying many.

I actually laughed out loud at that one!!

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
11-03-2014, 12:17 PM
(11-03-2014 11:57 AM)Lightvader Wrote:  
(11-03-2014 03:26 AM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  You've made thousands of posts on this forum, and they don't have to do with religion or God?

"i only talk about religion if people ask my opinion"
so i did and still do talk about god,just not a lot.(you said "for someone claiming to be irreligious,you sure talk about god a lot") I am mostly here for the community,not to talk about god. If you have time,you can look trough all my 2000+ post and count how much i post about religious stuff

I'm no different.