For those who reject the existence of Jesus...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2014, 12:30 AM
RE: For those who reject the existence of Jesus...
Archimedes and Socrates's existence themselves are irrelevant and we just enjoy the fruits of what is attributed to them. Whether or not they exist is not the point of their work.

Jesus however has a bunch of magic tricks in his story that is as plausible as the 12 labors of Heracles AND asks that we kiss Jesus's ass every day.

Archimedes: Mathematician attributed to neat shit whose existence is irrelevant.
Socrates: Philosopher attributed to neat shit whose existence is irrelevant.
Jesus: Magic Man whose religion revolves around his alleged existence.

One of these are not like the others.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 28 users Like DemonicLemon's post
10-03-2014, 12:32 AM
(10-03-2014 12:24 AM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  
(10-03-2014 12:20 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Nothing magical about Archimedes' or Socrates' lives. I don't care if they actually existed or not. Let's say they don't exist. That doesn't mean your Jeebus did.

Indeed.

Except many believe Archimedes and Socrates did exist, even though the evidence for such is no greater than the evidence for Jesus.

Just because you assert something doesn't make it true.

Quote:
(10-03-2014 12:09 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  I didn't say anything at all about "legitimizing Archimedes' existence". Strawman much, troll?

Not you in particular then, but all the people that do so.

Yeah. Strawman.

No one is making any extraordinary claims about Archimedes' or Socrates' "magic powers". You are arguing apples and oranges.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
10-03-2014, 12:39 AM
(10-03-2014 12:28 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Actually I do question historicity of Socrates. Archimedes on the other hand I can say nothing about. I'm only aware of his contribution to science. But the idea has been raised and I will research it. I also question whether or not Jesus existed. But who knows? Maybe he did. Could be there was a guy hanging around in Ancient Greece named Hercules but I doubt he was the son of a god...

I've seen this same sort of bullshit tactic in Buddhist circles, where mahayanists who believe in all sorts of fairy tales (like the "lotus sutra", when cornered, say "Well, the Nikayas were transmitted orally for some time, how do you know that the Buddha even existed?". The answer, of course, is that if he didn't exist, the secular teachings attributed to him still stand on their own, and in fact if it were shown that he did not exist, that destroys all of the superstitious/magical claims made about him and what then do we have left? His secular teachings.

These assholes don't think this shit through.

[+] 3 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
10-03-2014, 12:49 AM
(10-03-2014 12:30 AM)DemonicLemon Wrote:  Archimedes and Socrates's existence themselves are irrelevant and we just enjoy the fruits of what is attributed to them. Whether or not they exist is not the point of their work.

Jesus however has a bunch of magic tricks in his story that is as plausible as the 12 labors of Heracles AND asks that we kiss Jesus's ass every day.

Archimedes: Mathematician attributed to neat shit whose existence is irrelevant.

So attribution is more important to you?

What if the bible misattributes Jesus, and he is nothing like how he is portrayed? And the same for Archimedes and Socrates.
10-03-2014, 12:50 AM
(10-03-2014 12:30 AM)DemonicLemon Wrote:  Archimedes: Mathematician attributed to neat shit whose existence is irrelevant.

Would love to see a creatard version of sesame street.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
10-03-2014, 12:50 AM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2014 12:54 AM by shimmyjimmy.)
(10-03-2014 12:32 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  No one is making any extraordinary claims about Archimedes' or Socrates' "magic powers". You are arguing apples and oranges.

Nothing about magic powers, but there are many (ie. the teachers and students in all my history courses throughout my education) who believe in Archimedes and Socrates.
10-03-2014, 12:53 AM
(10-03-2014 12:39 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(10-03-2014 12:28 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Actually I do question historicity of Socrates. Archimedes on the other hand I can say nothing about. I'm only aware of his contribution to science. But the idea has been raised and I will research it. I also question whether or not Jesus existed. But who knows? Maybe he did. Could be there was a guy hanging around in Ancient Greece named Hercules but I doubt he was the son of a god...

I've seen this same sort of bullshit tactic in Buddhist circles, where mahayanists who believe in all sorts of fairy tales (like the "lotus sutra", when cornered, say "Well, the Nikayas were transmitted orally for some time, how do you know that the Buddha even existed?". The answer, of course, is that if he didn't exist, the secular teachings attributed to him still stand on their own, and in fact if it were shown that he did not exist, that destroys all of the superstitious/magical claims made about him and what then do we have left? His secular teachings.

These assholes don't think this shit through.

So your position is similar to DemonicLemon's, in that attribution is of sole importance?
10-03-2014, 12:54 AM
You're missing the point here.
Even if Jesus were shown to have existed, it doesn't mean he was anything more than a great magician.
It doesn't really matter whether Socrates or Archimedes existed as no-one says they were divine beings and people do not do ridiculous things in their names.
Let's say they didn't exist. So what? Does that make your Jesus man any more legitimate?
[+] 7 users Like englishrose's post
10-03-2014, 12:57 AM
(10-03-2014 12:54 AM)englishrose Wrote:  You're missing the point here.
Even if Jesus were shown to have existed, it doesn't mean he was anything more than a great magician.
It doesn't really matter whether Socrates or Archimedes existed as no-one says they were divine beings and people do not do ridiculous things in their names.
Let's say they didn't exist. So what? Does that make your Jesus man any more legitimate?

My point is purely in regards to his existence, and not his claimed abilities.
10-03-2014, 12:59 AM
(10-03-2014 12:50 AM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  
(10-03-2014 12:32 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  No one is making any extraordinary claims about Archimedes' or Socrates' "magic powers". You are arguing apples and oranges.

Nothing about magic powers, but there are many (ie. the teachers and students in all my history courses throughout my educational career) who believe in Archimedes and Socrates.

So? There is nothing extraordinary about any claim that they actually existed. Your extraordinary claim of a magical Jeebus (oh, and by the way, you tipped your hand that you ARE a fucking Xtard, which you earlier claimed you weren't) requires extraordinary evidence to back it up.

I love how xtards pretend their beliefs are based in reason and evidence and try to claim that atheists aren't using reason and evidence. Magic talking snakes STFU.