For those who think God condones murder for his sadistic pleasure.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-07-2015, 08:11 PM
RE: For those who think God condones murder for his sadistic pleasure.
(21-07-2015 08:02 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(21-07-2015 04:34 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  You've really got to stop taking everything Literally in the bible. Try reading other ancient texts. You know...critical thinking.

What is it that makes 'ancient texts' believable? They are myths, not histories; ignorance, not knowledge.
For me personally. They verify everything that I already know. The fact that they are essentially the same with the same life lesson, people, places, and reassuring guidance says a little for its credibility too. The fact that many feel a real powerful connection with existence through the texts even though some has been lost in translation also speaks to there significance.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-07-2015, 08:33 PM
(21-07-2015 08:11 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(21-07-2015 08:02 PM)Chas Wrote:  What is it that makes 'ancient texts' believable? They are myths, not histories; ignorance, not knowledge.
For me personally. They verify everything that I already know. The fact that they are essentially the same with the same life lesson, people, places, and reassuring guidance says a little for its credibility too. The fact that many feel a real powerful connection with existence through the texts even though some has been lost in translation also speaks to there significance.

You mean it shows the great knowledge and significance of how we have united cultural connection to our emergence as a species. And that trade and values spread across the world and combined in to various styles of the same story. It is a good bit of information to regather.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
21-07-2015, 08:38 PM
I just read that entire, spammy series of clips on the fossil hominid and Homo finds, and I am trying to understand the problem. You wish we had more fossil finds to fill in the areas in time where we don't have more? Yeah, us too!

My question is, what's the issue? Do you think it somehow means we "blipped" into existence somewhere in the region of 2 million years ago? You think that blipping into existence 2MYA is a more plausible explanation than evolving bigger brains/bodies during that time, and simply not leaving easily-discovered remains? (Or, possibly any, since fossils of hominids, which tend to die on the surface where their bones scatter and are shattered/disintegrated, are rarely formed in the first place. It's amazing we have any at all.)

And, by the way, that version of us you mentioned in your post looked like this:
[Image: homo-habilis.jpg]

Note the absolute lack of a vertical forehead, as we have today due to a genetic development known as neoteny, where juvenile traits (baby chimps, for instance, have our vertical foreheads, which disappears as they age into adults which more closely resemble Homo habilis) persist into adulthood with the deletion/alteration of puberty-invoking genes for the alteration.

Using police facial-reconstruction forensic techniques (mainly used to identify the faces of victims, when we find their buried skeletons, with a shocking degree of accuracy), they came up with what this creature looked like in real life:

[Image: Homo_habilis.jpg]

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
21-07-2015, 08:45 PM
(21-07-2015 08:38 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I just read that entire, spammy series of clips on the fossil hominid and Homo finds, and I am trying to understand the problem. You wish we had more fossil finds to fill in the areas in time where we don't have more? Yeah, us too!

My question is, what's the issue? Do you think it somehow means we "blipped" into existence somewhere in the region of 2 million years ago? You think that blipping into existence 2MYA is a more plausible explanation than evolving bigger brains/bodies during that time, and simply not leaving easily-discovered remains? (Or, possibly any, since fossils of hominids, which tend to die on the surface where their bones scatter and are shattered/disintegrated, are rarely formed in the first place. It's amazing we have any at all.)

And, by the way, that version of us you mentioned in your post looked like this:

Note the absolute lack of a vertical forehead, as we have today due to a genetic development known as neoteny, where juvenile traits (baby chimps, for instance, have our vertical foreheads, which disappears as they age into adults which more closely resemble Homo habilis) persist into adulthood with the deletion/alteration of puberty-invoking genes for the alteration.

Using police facial-reconstruction forensic techniques (mainly used to identify the faces of victims, when we find their buried skeletons, with a shocking degree of accuracy), they came up with what this creature looked like in real life:

My point was that there is a jump in our evolution that explains a point in time when we had a great leap forward in technology and understanding and this jump is related to the acquisition of conscious thought or free will.
21-07-2015, 09:12 PM
(21-07-2015 08:45 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(21-07-2015 08:38 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I just read that entire, spammy series of clips on the fossil hominid and Homo finds, and I am trying to understand the problem. You wish we had more fossil finds to fill in the areas in time where we don't have more? Yeah, us too!

My point was that there is a jump in our evolution that explains a point in time when we had a great leap forward in technology and understanding and this jump is related to the acquisition of conscious thought or free will.

And you know that how ? You have an advanced degree in anthropology ?
LMFAO

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
21-07-2015, 09:24 PM
(21-07-2015 08:11 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(21-07-2015 08:02 PM)Chas Wrote:  What is it that makes 'ancient texts' believable? They are myths, not histories; ignorance, not knowledge.
For me personally. They verify everything that I already know.

You don't know anything - you just believe it. Without evidence, knowledge is not possible.

Quote:The fact that they are essentially the same with the same life lesson, people, places, and reassuring guidance says a little for its credibility too. The fact that many feel a real powerful connection with existence through the texts even though some has been lost in translation also speaks to there significance.

The human condition is the human condition. There are parallel tales in many cultures as people have more commonalities than differences.

The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-07-2015, 09:32 PM
Et jamais avec quelque chose intéressante. Malhereusement.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
21-07-2015, 09:56 PM
(21-07-2015 08:33 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(21-07-2015 08:11 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  For me personally. They verify everything that I already know. The fact that they are essentially the same with the same life lesson, people, places, and reassuring guidance says a little for its credibility too. The fact that many feel a real powerful connection with existence through the texts even though some has been lost in translation also speaks to there significance.

You mean it shows the great knowledge and significance of how we have united cultural connection to our emergence as a species. And that trade and values spread across the world and combined in to various styles of the same story. It is a good bit of information to regather.

Just like all myths and legends in all cultures.
If the Babble floats your boat, (the same set of books that say it's ok to kill you disobedient kids), I guess it floats you boat. Whatever you need to sleep at night.
Rolleyes

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
22-07-2015, 04:31 AM
(21-07-2015 09:56 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(21-07-2015 08:33 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  You mean it shows the great knowledge and significance of how we have united cultural connection to our emergence as a species. And that trade and values spread across the world and combined in to various styles of the same story. It is a good bit of information to regather.

Just like all myths and legends in all cultures.
If the Babble floats your boat, (the same set of books that say it's ok to kill you disobedient kids), I guess it floats you boat. Whatever you need to sleep at night.
Rolleyes
It doesn't float my boat, it verifies everything. And only one book says to end the physical life of a truly damned soul. This is to ease its burden and release it of any responsibility or further want to commit evil often unknowingly in the name of evil.
22-07-2015, 04:57 AM
(22-07-2015 04:31 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(21-07-2015 09:56 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Just like all myths and legends in all cultures.
Rolleyes
It doesn't float my boat, it verifies everything. And only one book says to end the physical life of a truly damned soul. This is to ease its burden and release it of any responsibility or further want to commit evil often unknowingly in the name of evil.

Why doesn't the Qu'ran verify everything? It happens to also say a lot of the bible is true itself so what isn't certain about that collection? Or the Bhavad-Gita, or the various collection of Buddhist studied information.. Do you not believe you can reach a state of escaping life and become a rainbow dish?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post