For what are you thankful?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-11-2010, 09:06 PM

For what are you thankful?
Apparently, Rush Limbaugh has decided that Atheists don't have anything to be thankful for since Thanksgiving is, supposedly, a religiously-based holiday. Why do I still bother to read and listen to ultra right-wing propaganda? Because it's fucking funny, that's why! (And a little scary.)

Anyway, what are five things for which you are thankful?

1. My family.
2. My freedom (for now).
3. Advances in technology and science. I didn't have to hunt for my Thanksgiving dinner this year. Although, I might sometime just to see how it was done.
4. Veterans.
5. Johnnie Walker Black Label Scotch.
Quote this message in a reply
24-11-2010, 10:58 PM
RE: For what are you thankful?
The Sun
My Friends
My Family
Science
Shelter, Bed, Food
Technology
Music
Civilization

http://www.youtube.com/user/MindprowlerMusic
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-11-2010, 11:05 PM
Isn't thanksgiving a day celebrating when Native Americans looked after settlers and then the settles massacred them, took all the land and then desecrated the native holy sites?

Maybe it's celebrating the "Christian victory over the Pagan heathens" then it might be a religious holiday. xD

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
24-11-2010, 11:30 PM
That Thanksgiving was in October Big Grin

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
24-11-2010, 11:44 PM
What's this one then?

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
25-11-2010, 10:18 AM

(24-11-2010 11:44 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  What's this one then?

A 4 day weekend Big Grin
Quote this message in a reply
25-11-2010, 10:31 AM (This post was last modified: 25-11-2010 10:39 AM by BnW.)
I'm thankful for my wife, my kids, my dog, my parents and my sister, my various in-laws (sisters, brothers, wife's parents), nieces and nephews and that we are all collectively healthy and happy.

I'm thankful for my friends, good job, my steady pay check, and the good co-workers.

I'm thankful that by happenstance I was born in the 21st century United States and specifically in the northeastern US as opposed to some 3rd world shit hole, that I was born in an era when there is modern, indoor plumbing and an abundance of food and freshwater.

I'm thankful for my big screen TV, my HD feed, my 30 movie channels and a lifestyle that allows me to afford all this (but little time to watch any of it. There are always trade offs, I guess).

And, finally, I'm thankful to be able to spend this time of year with all the good people who make my life special.
Oh, I'd like to add one: I'm thankful I had the foresight to volunteer to host Thanksgiving at my house this year because it's freaking snowing outside and I don't have to deal with the weather and traffic.

I figure I'll crack the first drink in about 20 minutes or so. Once it's past noon, it's happy hour - except for my parents and sister/brother-in-law who have to drive here in the snow.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
25-11-2010, 11:32 AM
What do you mean? Thankful for to whom?

I'm thankful to my girlfriend that she loves me. I'm grateful to my country for the freedoms it affords. I consider myself randomly lucky to have three wonderful children and a sweet and generous mother who is still alive. But I don't have some ambiguous feeling of gratitude for some unnamed universal beneficence. That would be insane.
25-11-2010, 12:25 PM (This post was last modified: 25-11-2010 12:32 PM by Kikko.)
1. I'm thankful to all who are responsible for modern techology and science.
2. I'm thankful to the system for providing free education + a free meal.
3. I'm thankful to my family for being my family.
4. I'm thankful to bands for providing me with music, although the bands don't profit much.
5. I'm thankful to the people who defended Finland for what Finland is nowadays.

I'm glad I don't thank some magical sky daddy for what people have done with blood, sweat and tears.
Quote:Maybe it's celebrating the "Christian victory over the Pagan heathens" then it might be a religious holiday. xD
The 1676 first thanksgiving proclamation.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
25-11-2010, 01:18 PM
Quote:But I don't have some ambiguous feeling of gratitude for some unnamed universal beneficence. That would be insane.

Of course but you can still be thankful for your good fortune. Whether you express it in the fall, the spring or not at all is entirely up to you but this is as good a time as any if you're an American to do it. That does not mean you're thankful to a god or some other benevolence. However, it never hurts to take a few seconds to be humble and recognize that you're not only one of the luckiest people who is currently alive but one of the luckiest people who ever lived. You live in a modern country in a period of time with huge advances in modern medicine, relative wealth, little famine or poverty, no significant wars, etc. Given the totality of human history and even the totality of current existence for a lot of the world, I'd say you have it pretty good. And, a big chunk of that is luck of the draw in terms or where you were born, when you were born, etc.

You don't have to say "thanks" to anyone in particular for it - that is just the way the cookie crumbled for you - but you can be thankful for your good fortune without violating some core belief or non-belief. Or, you can exercise your your right not to be thankful. Either way, not every gesture has to boil down to a war of theists vs. atheists, us vs. them.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost