Forbes: religion makes kids more selfish

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2015, 08:09 AM
Forbes: religion makes kids more selfish
Religion Makes Children More Selfish, Say Scientists

Over 1,000 children were studied from around the world. They were primarily either Christian, Muslim, or non-religious. The children were given a chance to play the "dictator game" (where they're given 30 stickers and can freely share any amount they want with an anonymous kid), were asked to judge the "meanness" of people in videos doing things like pushing other people, and their parent's evaluated the kids behavior.

Three take homes:
  • Non-religious kids are less selfish.
  • Religious kids are less judgmental of people being mean to others.
  • Religious parents tend to over-evaluate their own kid's moral behavior.
Go figure.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like RobbyPants's post
06-11-2015, 08:18 AM
RE: Forbes: religion makes kids more selfish
Such results does not surprise me.

[Image: tumblr_n300qjl42v1qdmsaho1_500.jpg]

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 6 users Like Szuchow's post
06-11-2015, 08:32 AM
As a follower of Odin, all I need to do to achieve my desired afterlife is get killed in glorious battle. Therefore, if I do something nice, you can rest assured that I actually wanted to do it Smile

'Murican Canadian
[+] 4 users Like yakherder's post
06-11-2015, 10:02 AM
I guess it's hard not to feel self-important when you believe you're best friends with the guy who created the universe.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 5 users Like onlinebiker's post
07-11-2015, 08:04 AM
(06-11-2015 08:32 AM)yakherder Wrote:  As a follower of Odin, all I need to do to achieve my desired afterlife is get killed in glorious battle. Therefore, if I do something nice, you can rest assured that I actually wanted to do it Smile

Not a bad plan if you want my opinion, plus Odin should send you a warning in the form of a Valkyrie. She's also going to give you a ride on a magic horse to get to heaven. It's a lot faster than walking.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
07-11-2015, 08:20 AM
(07-11-2015 08:04 AM)epronovost Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 08:32 AM)yakherder Wrote:  As a follower of Odin, all I need to do to achieve my desired afterlife is get killed in glorious battle. Therefore, if I do something nice, you can rest assured that I actually wanted to do it Smile

Not a bad plan if you want my opinion, plus Odin should send you a warning in the form of a Valkyrie. She's also going to give you a ride on a magic horse to get to heaven. It's a lot faster than walking.

Valkyrie is, by and by, one of my favorite proper nouns in English.

Also, it's a pretty sweet motorcycle.

[Image: 2014-Honda-Valkyrie-GL1800C2.jpg]

Carry on.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
07-11-2015, 08:26 AM
What I find funniest is that this was funded by the Templeton Foundation. Just gives me the giggles that does.
[+] 3 users Like natachan's post
07-11-2015, 11:32 AM
This should not be a surprise. Religion's core tenet and appeal is a selfish desire to save one's own hide. "Saviour" and "Salvation" are its two most heavily exercised nouns. There's zero direction from religion to act for the betterment of mankind, the directive ("commandment") is to do god's will; and doing god's will is what saves your puckered ass from a godly retribution. To the extent that god's will may in some ways improve mankind's lot in this world is tertiary, equivalent to collateral damage, of no concern itself. The entire focus of religion is inward, on the self, and that it therefore nurtures selfishness is an obvious outcome.
[+] 3 users Like Airportkid's post
07-11-2015, 11:43 AM
Captain obvious is obvious.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
07-11-2015, 12:14 PM
It’s an unconscious bias,” Decety explains. “They don’t even see that’s not compatible with what they’ve been learning in church.”

Apparently Decety is unaware what stories, lessons and immoral behaviors are reinforced in church.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results