Forbes: religion makes kids more selfish

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-11-2015, 12:35 PM
RE: Forbes: religion makes kids more selfish
(07-11-2015 08:20 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(07-11-2015 08:04 AM)epronovost Wrote:  Not a bad plan if you want my opinion, plus Odin should send you a warning in the form of a Valkyrie. She's also going to give you a ride on a magic horse to get to heaven. It's a lot faster than walking.

Valkyrie is, by and by, one of my favorite proper nouns in English.

Also, it's a pretty sweet motorcycle.

[Image: 2014-Honda-Valkyrie-GL1800C2.jpg]

Carry on.

If you've been around bikes a long time - you can see the "Arlenness" of it....

(Arlen Ness --- get it???)

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
07-11-2015, 12:59 PM
Jokes aside, I don't think there is a single drive we possess that can't be rationally defined as selfish, even if that drive is to stimulate our mirror neurons by helping others. The difference between selfish and selfless is defined primarily by perception and semantics. I'd nonetheless love to reach a point where religion truly becomes obsolete Tongue

'Murican Canadian
07-11-2015, 02:02 PM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2015 02:08 PM by EvolutionKills.)
(07-11-2015 12:35 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(07-11-2015 08:20 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Valkyrie is, by and by, one of my favorite proper nouns in English.

Also, it's a pretty sweet motorcycle.

[Image: 2014-Honda-Valkyrie-GL1800C2.jpg]

Carry on.

If you've been around bikes a long time - you can see the "Arlenness" of it....

(Arlen Ness --- get it???)

Absolutely, my favorite of his is the 1986 Honda VF700 Super Magna.

[Image: 144950781_5a0edb79ba.jpg]

700cc of liquid cooled, 90 degree, V4 action. Also, that is a symmetrical 4-into-4 exhaust, so there is a matched set on the far side.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
08-11-2015, 07:48 AM
This was also on The Guardian. I do like the guardians headline a bit more.
Religious children are meaner than their secular counterparts, study finds http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/no...kids-study

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-11-2015, 08:39 AM
(08-11-2015 07:48 AM)izel Wrote:  This was also on The Guardian. I do like the guardians headline a bit more.
Religious children are meaner than their secular counterparts, study finds http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/no...kids-study

Yea, while the headlines might be more appealing, they're not very accurate either.

The study shows that in a sticker version of the dictator game, religious kids give away about 36% of the stickers, while the non-religious kids give away about 40% on average.

Interpreting these religious kids in such a bad light is like labeling a man who tips 18% and another who tips 20%, and judging one as meaner than the other.

It also shows that religious children are more sensitive to injustice. Which I would think is a good thing.

http://www.cell.com/cms/attachment/20400.../mmc2.pdf.

And that main problem with the study is that it doesn't factor demographic difference, or highlight other variables that are likely to be factors here, among the religious and non-religious being surveyed, which I think has more to do with the discrepancies than anything else here.

Either way, it appears the study is being politically milked for more than it's worth, particularly in the way it's being used to represent mean spirited religious children.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
08-11-2015, 09:29 AM
(08-11-2015 08:39 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  ... It also shows that religious children are more sensitive to injustice.

Not quite. It shows that their parents perceive them this way. What the children actually do is judge others' transgressions more harshly, and deserving of harsher punishment.
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post
08-11-2015, 09:48 AM
(08-11-2015 09:29 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  
(08-11-2015 08:39 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  ... It also shows that religious children are more sensitive to injustice.

Not quite. It shows that their parents perceive them this way. What the children actually do is judge others' transgressions more harshly, and deserving of harsher punishment.

Ah, thanks, i read that graph wrong.

But even in terms of harsher punishments, non-religious kids are about 51, and christian kids are at about 53. The differences are marginal, and likely not to have much of anything to do with religion per se, but the likely demographic discrepancies among non-religious and religious group. Certain demographics are more represented in non-religious groups that religious group. And the marginal differences between the groups are likely accounted for by that.

A better study would have indicated those variables, and it would be important to know what the demographic and culture makeup of non-religious group vs religious groups. There are already notable difference in between ethnic groups. Like white's tend to tip more than blacks. Whites are also more likely to be non-religious than other groups as well.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."