Forced pregancy for dead woman

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-02-2014, 05:34 PM
Forced pregancy for dead woman
So, there was this case in Texas recently where the hospital refused to take a brain dead woman off life support because she was pregnant, even though the fetus had several abnormalities.

The story is here.

Don't you think this is going a bit too far? A dead woman used as incubator for an abnormal fetus?

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-02-2014, 05:52 PM
RE: Forced pregancy for dead woman
Here's the AE episode that covered it.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
13-02-2014, 05:58 PM
The hospital should give the family all of the options and potential outcomes and then it should be up to the family to decide if life support continues or not.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
13-02-2014, 06:29 PM
(13-02-2014 05:58 PM)bemore Wrote:  The hospital should give the family all of the options and potential outcomes and then it should be up to the family to decide if life support continues or not.

For the most part I agree, but there are families that would border on abuse of a corpse (IMO) because the refusal to say goodbye, I am thinking of the other recent case of the brain dead 13 y/o. And many families I know too. They can't deal with the reality of death and continue to put another human body thru hell.

There is a fine line between the families wishes and the "right" thing to do, but I don't know how to define it. I believe it's why we rely on the medical people who have witnessed these situations for their opinions, and need to give their advice more weight unless there is real evidence not to. In many situations we require the opinion of more than one doctor.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
13-02-2014, 06:33 PM
In this particular case, the family wishes should have been honored immediately.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 3 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
13-02-2014, 06:46 PM
I followed this case when it was happening. I think it was absolutely disgusting! Using a corpse as an incubator? Sick. If someone is dead they are dead. A death certificate was issued. I don't think the family's wishes should always be honored. I don't think you should be allowed to grow a fetus inside a dead baby even if the family wants it.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
13-02-2014, 08:00 PM
I think it should be mandatory to make the body to end the pregnancy. Abortion is good because it respects the rights of an actual human being over a mere potential one, but a potential human trumps a dead one.

It is eeky though Tongue

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
13-02-2014, 08:16 PM
I think I would have yanked the plug out of the wall.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 4 users Like Cathym112's post
13-02-2014, 08:29 PM
If this is the same case the family was completely against it from the beginning. I believe they've been barred from seeing her.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

13-02-2014, 08:31 PM
(13-02-2014 08:16 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  I think I would have yanked the plug out of the wall.

I kept thinking that too. Why don't they just go for "visitation", lock the door, an pull the plug?

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.