Forced pregancy for dead woman

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-02-2014, 08:32 PM
RE: Forced pregancy for dead woman
(13-02-2014 08:29 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  If this is the same case the family was completely against it from the beginning. I believe they've been barred from seeing her.

Oh ok I must have missed that.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-02-2014, 09:10 PM
(13-02-2014 08:32 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(13-02-2014 08:29 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  If this is the same case the family was completely against it from the beginning. I believe they've been barred from seeing her.

Oh ok I must have missed that.

Yeah, it seems to me, that's what I recall reading a couple months ago. I remember it because I was reading about that brain dead girl in California, who the family believes will wake up because of book written by a woo doctor.

When I came across the other story I was completely outraged all this was going on without the family's consent and only because of batshit law Texas has.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

13-02-2014, 09:23 PM
This family did the opposite. They kept her on life support for 6 weeks until the baby could be delivered.

Canadian brain dead mom

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
13-02-2014, 09:37 PM
(13-02-2014 09:23 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  This family did the opposite. They kept her on life support for 6 weeks until the baby could be delivered.

Canadian brain dead mom

Yeah, but the texas woman wasn't as far along.

I dunno. I remember a case in California long time ago, where the couple had tried for a long time to conceive. I know she was kept alive for a couple months too. But everyone agreed it was what she would have wanted.

I really do feel it should be left to the family to decide.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

13-02-2014, 09:55 PM
I think the family's wishes should be followed. With the case in Texas the woman died when she was 14 weeks pregnant and later tests showed fetal abnormalities. Keeping the woman's body alive enough to give the fetus a chance to grow to full or near full term is a long, long wait not to mention a very big if. I thought it was extremely unfair and down right sick what the hospital put that woman's family through.
However, if the family is wiling to pay for life support and they are willing to help the baby with whatever issues it may have, then they should have that chance.
I would think making a decision in that situation would depend greatly on how far along the pregnancy was, the circumstances of the mother's death, the health of the baby, etc... But the family's wishes should far out weigh the hospitals.
13-02-2014, 10:28 PM
There are a couple things NOT mentioned in that article.

One is that there is a law in TX that you have to keep the mother alive if the baby is at a certain number of weeks, that was not the case in this situation. The judge that made the original order finally stepped down.

Second is that it was determined that the baby was quite afflicted with various maladies and probably wouldn't survive anyway in his/her condition especially since they probably would have had to deliver the baby well before the due date.

This was all over the news out here.

Added to this is that fact that such things had been discussed between the husband and wife prior to anything happening. He is and she was an EMT, so these were people with medical background and presumably capable to make informed decisions.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
13-02-2014, 11:33 PM
(13-02-2014 05:34 PM)Dom Wrote:  So, there was this case in Texas recently where the hospital refused to take a brain dead woman off life support because she was pregnant, even though the fetus had several abnormalities.

The story is here.

Don't you think this is going a bit too far? A dead woman used as incubator for an abnormal fetus?

Yes, it's obviously going too far, but the hospital's actions are understandable, considering the law in Texas. No-one is willing to go to prison for unplugging a dead woman. The law is what needs changing.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
[+] 1 user Likes toadaly's post