(08-10-2017 10:13 PM)Vera Wrote:  Just keep diggin' Drinking Beverage

[Image: QwNPtz3.gif]

That dude kind of looks like me.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-10-2017, 10:14 PM
RE: Forced ritual are the demands of despots. NFL
Goodnight.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
08-10-2017, 10:18 PM
(08-10-2017 10:12 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  
(08-10-2017 10:07 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  But they're not, Jerry. They're fucking not now, nor ever have been, and that's fairly evident with only a cursory review of our nation's history.

That's the point.

A cursory review of our nation's history shows an upward improving trajectory in race relations. It has stops and fits and reverses but it's an upward trend overall.

And what, pray tell, is the catalyst for such an upward swing? Consider

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
08-10-2017, 11:19 PM
I'm sure there are a few people out there hating on players just because they're black but overall there is definitely something more here. If you think trump started this or everyone sees it one way then you need to stop living in a bubble. People HATE this protesting, for countless and mostly valid reasons. Now I'm sure sheeple on both sides will say this and that but anyone with real individual thought can see it easily. Personally I can't stand it because I don't care about players political or cultural beliefs and THEY have injected them into a game I once loved, that I now can no longer stand to watch. I'm sure police brutality sucks, I've had the guns pulled on me for a speeding ticket before too. But being killed in a war for the sake of a bunch of people I've never met, some who clearly don't give a rats ass about a soldier dying probably sucks too. Both good valid points, both don't belong in an American game. The politicians or cops didn't bring it in, so I am blaming the players. Thanks for ruining a great time. I can see both sides like any intelligent person should in every argument, just don't want to see it during what I consider ENTERTAINMENT.
08-10-2017, 11:46 PM
(08-10-2017 08:56 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  What was disrespectful about non-violent peaceful protest? Wat was un-civil about non-violent peaceful protest? It was practically a strategy to be civil and respectful because only with that could you throw into stark contrast the visciousness of ...

I am confused, are you talking about the 60s now or about the NFL and the 2010s? Consider

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
08-10-2017, 11:51 PM
I couldn't bring myself to sit through a football game even if it weren't tainted with politics.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
08-10-2017, 11:53 PM
(08-10-2017 11:19 PM)Nick272727 Wrote:  THEY have injected them into a game I once loved, that I now can no longer stand to watch.

This is my first reading of you. The above is very telling. You seem to say that due to a political climate, you now dislike a game you once loved.

Interesting.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
09-10-2017, 05:31 AM
(08-10-2017 07:38 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  I get it, you are considering things from the POV of the protesters, and I get it. I'm just considering the POV of people that boo. A lot of them are probably like me, they don't like it, they don't hate the players that kneel, they just wish they would find a less disrespectful way of protesting.

(08-10-2017 08:56 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  What was disrespectful about non-violent peaceful protest? Wat was un-civil about non-violent peaceful protest? It was practically a strategy to be civil and respectful because only with that could you throw into stark contrast the visciousness of southern rednecks and cops with their water hoses, attacks, and clubbings. The majority of whites, particularly in the north (though there was/is a lot of racism there) were indifferent to the plight of blacks but seeing that stuff on the nightly news changed attitudes, partly because you could plainly see that it was, in fact, non-violent, respectful peaceful protest that didn't deserve beatings and bombings.

Bolding mine.

You seem to have a very inconsistent view.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 5 users Like unfogged's post
09-10-2017, 05:37 AM
(09-10-2017 05:31 AM)unfogged Wrote:  You seem to have a very inconsistent view.

I'll take 'It's Only Disrespectful When I Don't Agree With It' for $400 Alex.

[Image: suck_it_trebek_by_anthos92-d5ru7ov.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 6 users Like EvolutionKills's post
09-10-2017, 05:48 AM
(08-10-2017 11:19 PM)Nick272727 Wrote:  I'm sure there are a few people out there hating on players just because they're black but overall there is definitely something more here. If you think trump started this or everyone sees it one way then you need to stop living in a bubble. People HATE this protesting, for countless and mostly valid reasons.

I have not yet heard what I consider a valid reason. I'm open to hearing one.

Quote: Now I'm sure sheeple on both sides will say this and that but anyone with real individual thought can see it easily. Personally I can't stand it because I don't care about players political or cultural beliefs and THEY have injected them into a game I once loved, that I now can no longer stand to watch.

The point of a protest is to bring an issue to the attention of more people. I think anybody who finds this to be that uncomfortable should do some serious introspection to figure out why. They are not preventing anyone from doing exactly what they'd be doing otherwise and they are not delaying or disrupting the game itself at all.

Quote: I'm sure police brutality sucks, I've had the guns pulled on me for a speeding ticket before too. But being killed in a war for the sake of a bunch of people I've never met, some who clearly don't give a rats ass about a soldier dying probably sucks too. Both good valid points, both don't belong in an American game. The politicians or cops didn't bring it in, so I am blaming the players. Thanks for ruining a great time. I can see both sides like any intelligent person should in every argument, just don't want to see it during what I consider ENTERTAINMENT.

They aren't disrupting the game at all, they are just not taking part in the forced display of patriotism that itself does not belong in a game. They are peacefully expressing an opinion which is supposed to be a cornerstone of the American mythos and the irony of people calling that un-American is palpable.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 11 users Like unfogged's post