Forced ritual are the demands of despots. NFL

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2017, 05:54 AM
RE: Forced ritual are the demands of despots. NFL
(09-10-2017 05:48 AM)unfogged Wrote:  They are peacefully expressing an opinion which is supposed to be a cornerstone of the American mythos and the irony of people calling that un-American is palpable.

Take a bow, you just won the fuckin' internet.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
09-10-2017, 06:15 AM
(08-10-2017 10:18 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(08-10-2017 10:12 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  A cursory review of our nation's history shows an upward improving trajectory in race relations. It has stops and fits and reverses but it's an upward trend overall.

And what, pray tell, is the catalyst for such an upward swing? Consider

That sounded rhetorical, you're not really wanting from me a summary of 200 years of race relations in the US. Here's my top five list of factors that weren't catalyst's for the upward swing:

1 Protests where people kneel during the National Anthem
2 Protests where people kneel during the National Anthem
3 Protests where people kneel during the National Anthem
4 Protests where people kneel during the National Anthem
5 Protests where people kneel during the National Anthem

Unfogged, Dessee, I gotta run to work. Good points I will address them this afternoon.

09-10-2017, 06:19 AM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2017 06:23 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(09-10-2017 06:15 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  
(08-10-2017 10:18 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  And what, pray tell, is the catalyst for such an upward swing? Consider

That sounded rhetorical, you're not really wanting from me a summary of 200 years of race relations in the US. Here's my top five list of factors that weren't catalyst's for the upward swing:

Unfogged, Dessee, I gotta run to work. Good points I will address them this afternoon.

In the broad strokes, raising awareness of the issue through peaceful protest, would have to be near the top of the list of things that helped. I fail to see how these NFL players don't fit under that large and well worm umbrella. Consider

Plus, lest we forget, they're following precedent.

[Image: 586bdcfe1900002b000e2a95.jpeg?cache=zngy..._noupscale]

[+] 6 users Like EvolutionKills's post
09-10-2017, 07:24 AM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2017 07:28 AM by GirlyMan.)
(08-10-2017 10:18 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  And what, pray tell, is the catalyst for such an upward swing? Consider

How 'bout a couple of black dudes doing the Black Power thing during the national anthem on the medal stand at the'68 Olympics? Think that was a catalyst, Jerry? Think Kaepernick's kneeling is more disrespectful? How old are you Jerry, 'cause you don't seem to have much of a grasp of the history of politics in sport. Politics has always been a part of sports.

[Image: mYEuSsk.jpg]

How you gonna feel when they stop kneeling and just start doing the Black Power thing instead? 'Cause that's next. Leave it to a black NHL player to start it all over again.

[Image: JgwqVzN.jpg]

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
09-10-2017, 07:34 AM
(09-10-2017 07:24 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Politics has always been a part of sports.

Politics has always been a part of everything. You cannot escape it, it permeates your entire life. Even attempting to make or do something apolitical runs afoul of relying upon the a prioi assumption of what is already political.

09-10-2017, 09:22 AM

Take your time, thx, but no need in my case. Unfogged (re-)made my point actually, which was:

You accept the 60s civil rights movement because it was all peaceful and non-violent protesting, but reject NFL players kneeling (peacefully and non violently) to make a point. Consider

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 2 users Like Deesse23's post
09-10-2017, 09:22 AM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2017 09:25 AM by GirlyMan.)
(08-10-2017 11:53 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(08-10-2017 11:19 PM)Nick272727 Wrote:  THEY have injected them into a game I once loved, that I now can no longer stand to watch.

This is my first reading of you. The above is very telling. You seem to say that due to a political climate, you now dislike a game you once loved.

Interesting.

Maybe he should watch golf. Just avoid that nasty Ryder Cup business.

#sigh
09-10-2017, 09:40 AM
Anyone see the glaring hypocrisy of the VP protesting railing against protesting. Basically he was saying only white people can protest.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
09-10-2017, 09:50 AM
(08-10-2017 04:55 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  You (generic you) can say what you want, you can spin it however you want til you're blue in the face. But it's considered disrespectful to do anything but stand quietly during the national anthem. You don't have to do that, you have the right to kneel, lay down, moon, or do whatever you want, but people also have the right to boo it and not like it. Doesn't necessarily equal racism.

You are not getting it.

It started out, months ago, as one man's protest against blacks being unjustly killed by police. People approved or disapproved, but that was the topic.

Months later, enter trump looking for another way to cause division. He declares it's because of disrespect for the flag.

And that is how it happened. Disrespect was on no one's mind until trump changed the subject.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
09-10-2017, 09:51 AM
(09-10-2017 09:40 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Anyone see the glaring hypocrisy of the VP protesting railing against protesting. Basically he was saying only white people can protest.

Yup. If Obama had walked out of a game while the white Christian football player Tim Tebow prayed the religious right would have started WW III.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post