Forced ritual are the demands of despots. NFL

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-10-2017, 08:05 PM
RE: Forced ritual are the demands of despots. NFL
(12-10-2017 09:26 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(12-10-2017 08:56 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  "Culture Jamming." Must be some new slang for "I got nuthin."

I have a problem.

Fuck your problem, you're not being X enough for me to take you seriously.

That simple enough for you dipshit? It's like shifting the goalpost, but for cultural progress. It's the people ignoring the BLM protests and the cop violence because of a handful of opportunistic vandals caused some property destruction, so it's easier to just paint the entire protest as violent thugs rather than engaging with their points. It's GamerGaters crying about 'ethics in games journalism' so as not to grapple with criticism and to cover for those threatening said critics with doxxing, rape, and death. It's people crying over the 'disrespect' of the NFL players, rather than engaging with the points.

How respectful was the Boston Tea Party? Facepalm

"Dipshit" is about the mildest thing I've been called on this thread so thanks for that. You are a passionate dude and there is a place in this world for passion, I'm a big admirer of people like Wendall Phillips, John Brown, and William Lloyd Garrison. (I don't think the cause you battle for quite equal to theirs, but you take what you can get)

We've both made our positions clear, how about we "agree to disagree" without thinking so terrible of each other?

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-10-2017, 03:16 PM
I agree that Trump's comments are wrong on this subject, but then it would be stranger if Trump was right on any given subject. Now, based on what I've read right-wingers say on the topic, several seem to feel that this was a good move by Trump, because it puts him on the side of the flag and corners his opponents into openly supporting a protest of the national anthem. I suspect that kneeling for the national anthem was tactically not the best choice for a form of protest. I have more emotional attachment to the song Jingle Bells than I do the national anthem, but I don't know that this was the best way to gain support for the protest against police shootings.

Either way, I support the right of the players to protest as they see fit. If expressive public display (like kneeling in protest) is inappropriate to the stated purpose of the event (an NFL game) well then you shouldn't have mindless flag waving and nationalistic singing in the first place (much of which has apparently been paid for by the Pentagon.)

O, mia patria, sì bella e perduta
[+] 4 users Like DistantSecond2's post
20-10-2017, 01:08 AM
I've eaten the flag. It was made out of frosting and sitting atop some delicious chocolate cake. To this day, no one has raised an objection.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 3 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
28-10-2017, 10:39 AM
An inside look into the meetings the owners and players held earlier this month. There is to be another in a few days on the 31st.

Solid info and a good piece of writing.

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/...e-meetings

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
28-10-2017, 02:00 PM
(20-10-2017 01:08 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  I've eaten the flag. It was made out of frosting and sitting atop some delicious chocolate cake. To this day, no one has raised an objection.

I would have never eaten that flag! I would have removed it before I ate the delicious chocolate cake!

I hate sugary frostings! Smile

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
28-10-2017, 02:12 PM
(28-10-2017 10:39 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  An inside look into the meetings the owners and players held earlier this month. There is to be another in a few days on the 31st.

It was a good article and it shows how awkward the stalemate is. Apparently a lot of time and talk and nothing to show but the usual "Uhh, we're making progress and are having a dialogue" type stuff. Some of the owners want a league mandate that orders players to stand for the anthem, but enough of them realize (I assume) that would cause more problems than it solves.

28-10-2017, 02:53 PM
(28-10-2017 02:12 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  
(28-10-2017 10:39 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  An inside look into the meetings the owners and players held earlier this month. There is to be another in a few days on the 31st.

It was a good article and it shows how awkward the stalemate is. Apparently a lot of time and talk and nothing to show but the usual "Uhh, we're making progress and are having a dialogue" type stuff. Some of the owners want a league mandate that orders players to stand for the anthem, but enough of them realize (I assume) that would cause more problems than it solves.

One the one hand you have a business model that sees its profits falling, even though, and I just can’t get over this, it isn’t taxed! A great % of the profits come from advertisers, advertisers are a tricky lot and as the article said some will pull advertising if they mandate standing and others will pull out of they don’t.

Meanwhile you have a group of workers that are mostly irreplaceable if they left en masse. Anyone remember the scabs that were brought in for the 1982 season https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_lockouthttp:// and how no one tuned in? No one wants to watch 2nd stringers play.

The owners just want this to go away so they can get on with making money. The players seem determined to continue to demonstrate (to what end I don’t know because no amount of kneeling will change how our black population is unfairly treated. If they intend to kneel until racism is eradicated then this will never end). Mind you I’m not saying for them not to, I just don’t think they know what the end game here is, or can be.

Cue The President of the United States. Sticking his nose where it doesn’t belong, complicating matters and further polarizing the two sides because we all know he plays favorites with skin color.

I think this will all come to an end when the owners agree to fund the NAACP or the like with BIG MONEY so that the players will feel like they made a difference, which I think they have by bringing to the forefront how racism is still very much alive and well.

Again, cue the President and his administration. Dodgy

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
28-10-2017, 05:27 PM
(28-10-2017 02:53 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(28-10-2017 02:12 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  It was a good article and it shows how awkward the stalemate is. Apparently a lot of time and talk and nothing to show but the usual "Uhh, we're making progress and are having a dialogue" type stuff. Some of the owners want a league mandate that orders players to stand for the anthem, but enough of them realize (I assume) that would cause more problems than it solves.

One the one hand you have a business model that sees its profits falling, even though, and I just can’t get over this, it isn’t taxed! A great % of the profits come from advertisers, advertisers are a tricky lot and as the article said some will pull advertising if they mandate standing and others will pull out of they don’t.

Meanwhile you have a group of workers that are mostly irreplaceable if they left en masse. Anyone remember the scabs that were brought in for the 1982 season https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_lockouthttp:// and how no one tuned in? No one wants to watch 2nd stringers play.

The owners just want this to go away so they can get on with making money. The players seem determined to continue to demonstrate (to what end I don’t know because no amount of kneeling will change how our black population is unfairly treated. If they intend to kneel until racism is eradicated then this will never end). Mind you I’m not saying for them not to, I just don’t think they know what the end game here is, or can be.

Cue The President of the United States. Sticking his nose where it doesn’t belong, complicating matters and further polarizing the two sides because we all know he plays favorites with skin color.

I think this will all come to an end when the owners agree to fund the NAACP or the like with BIG MONEY so that the players will feel like they made a difference, which I think they have by bringing to the forefront how racism is still very much alive and well.

Again, cue the President and his administration. Dodgy

The president hates the NFL because they wanted no part of him years ago.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post