Forced ritual are the demands of despots. NFL

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-09-2017, 08:28 PM
RE: Forced ritual are the demands of despots. NFL
(24-09-2017 07:49 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  
(24-09-2017 06:58 PM)Dom Wrote:  His base will boycott. That will hurt the NFL. In turn, that will scare others into obedience. It's a sinister game.

The base will go far, but it will not boycott football. Far from scaring anyone, it has tipped the scales the other way, now the question is who are those two or three players still standing during the anthem?

The boycott does not have to be for the sport...they can watch all the commercials and take down the list of sponsors they stop buying products for--that's how boycotts are done anyway.

I am not personally concerned with athletes deciding to protest--I don't watch or pay attention to professional sports of any kind anyway. But I think this will go down as one of many examples of Trump provoking the exact kind of response he wanted, the exact kind of response he thrives on.

Trump's base loves this. There is zero downside to Trump and the NFL only loses. As the saying goes, never get in a fight with a pig--you both get dirty, and the pig likes it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-09-2017, 08:35 PM
(24-09-2017 08:28 PM)BryanS Wrote:  
(24-09-2017 07:49 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  The base will go far, but it will not boycott football. Far from scaring anyone, it has tipped the scales the other way, now the question is who are those two or three players still standing during the anthem?

The boycott does not have to be for the sport...they can watch all the commercials and take down the list of sponsors they stop buying products for--that's how boycotts are done anyway.

I am not personally concerned with athletes deciding to protest--I don't watch or pay attention to professional sports of any kind anyway. But I think this will go down as one of many examples of Trump provoking the exact kind of response he wanted, the exact kind of response he thrives on.

Trump's base loves this. There is zero downside to Trump and the NFL only loses. As the saying goes, never get in a fight with a pig--you both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Target is having a great year despite, or maybe because of, the "Boycott" by the knuckle-dragging morons. I much prefer shopping there since I know none of those idiots will be there. I am in the heart of Texas and our Target is always packed. I doubt any repercussions come from this.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
24-09-2017, 08:37 PM
(24-09-2017 08:28 PM)BryanS Wrote:  
(24-09-2017 07:49 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  The base will go far, but it will not boycott football. Far from scaring anyone, it has tipped the scales the other way, now the question is who are those two or three players still standing during the anthem?

Let's see how this would look in reality...working class chumps (of which I am one) toil all week and plop down on Sunday to drink a few, relax, and watch mindless sports. And while doing so, let's take down the names of sponsors and stop buying their beer, viagara, and cheetoes. Percent chance of this happening: 0.00.

Quote:Trump's base loves this. There is zero downside to Trump and the NFL only loses. As the saying goes, never get in a fight with a pig--you both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

NFL loses not a whit in this, a rubber band can only be stretched so far.

[+] 2 users Like jerry mcmasters's post
24-09-2017, 08:39 PM
(24-09-2017 07:49 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  
(24-09-2017 06:58 PM)Dom Wrote:  His base will boycott. That will hurt the NFL. In turn, that will scare others into obedience. It's a sinister game.

The base will go far, but it will not boycott football. Far from scaring anyone, it has tipped the scales the other way, now the question is who are those two or three players still standing during the anthem?

Dumpy has no power to change the deeply embedded culture of the nation.
It's a tempest in a tea pot.
People who love watching football are not going to stop because the Orange man in the White House with dementia has a hissy fit one Friday night.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
24-09-2017, 08:40 PM
(24-09-2017 08:35 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(24-09-2017 08:28 PM)BryanS Wrote:  The boycott does not have to be for the sport...they can watch all the commercials and take down the list of sponsors they stop buying products for--that's how boycotts are done anyway.

Target is having a great year despite, or maybe because of, the "Boycott" by the knuckle-dragging morons. I much prefer shopping there since I know none of those idiots will be there. I am in the heart of Texas and our Target is always packed. I doubt any repercussions come from this.

That boycott was pretty stupid, and I think opponents correctly saw it as hateful towards a minority. I think it will be harder to motivate people to support the NFL more due to this issue like was done to motivate people to support Target's bathroom policies.
24-09-2017, 08:42 PM
(24-09-2017 08:39 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

Dumpy has no power to change the deeply embedded culture of the nation.
People who love watching football are not going to stop because the Orange man in the White House with dementia has a hissy fit one Friday night.

I can't see Trump affecting viewership. I can see it affect spending decisions with respect to sponsors. I mean, whatever beers (or other advertised products) that are NFL sponsors probably have suitable alternatives.
24-09-2017, 08:45 PM
(24-09-2017 08:42 PM)BryanS Wrote:  
(24-09-2017 08:39 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Dumpy has no power to change the deeply embedded culture of the nation.

I can't see Trump affecting viewership. I can see it affect spending decisions with respect to sponsors. I mean, whatever beers (or other advertised products) that are NFL sponsors probably have suitable alternatives.

Maybe in a few months. I doubt it. Football is religion in many quarters.
In 2 weeks Trump will have shit all over something else, and this will be ancient history.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
24-09-2017, 08:46 PM
(24-09-2017 08:42 PM)BryanS Wrote:  
(24-09-2017 08:39 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Dumpy has no power to change the deeply embedded culture of the nation.

There would have to be at least some sustained attention by Trump focused on the issue. Tempest in a tea pot is right. Can there be any doubt Trump has already forgotten this issue and is off to the races on something else?

[+] 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post
24-09-2017, 08:46 PM
(24-09-2017 08:45 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(24-09-2017 08:42 PM)BryanS Wrote:  I can't see Trump affecting viewership. I can see it affect spending decisions with respect to sponsors. I mean, whatever beers (or other advertised products) that are NFL sponsors probably have suitable alternatives.

Maybe in a few months. I doubt it. Foot ball is religion in many quarters.
In 2 weeks Trump will have shit all over something else, and this will be ancient history.

True...Trump has this tendency to not last very long before shifting to his next outrage.
25-09-2017, 06:00 AM
(24-09-2017 03:56 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  Some things really are not about money asshole.

Really??

Tell the players and management staff they're no longer going to get paid, and we'll see how many show up for " the love of the sport".

Safe bet - zero.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.