Forced ritual are the demands of despots. NFL

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-09-2017, 09:31 PM
RE: Forced ritual are the demands of despots. NFL
Yeah Trump, tell Davante Adams, who was just carted off the field for taking a direct helmet shot by a Bears player, that the game is becoming too pussy and they are ruining it by making it safer.

Fucking idiot.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like ResidentEvilFan's post
28-09-2017, 09:39 PM
(28-09-2017 04:43 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Several people at my workplace have said they're not watching tonight's Packer/Bear game because of this national anthem controversy. One of them said he will never watch another football game. To be honest, this surprised the hell out of me -- I can't believe that anyone who cares about football would stop watching it because of this non-issue.

I don't watch football anyway -- I don't have cable at home, so I would have to go somewhere to watch the game, and I can only get motivated to do that during the playoffs -- and even then, only for certain games. But this anthem crap wouldn't change my mind one way or the other. If I'm watching, it's the game I care about. What they do before the game is totally irrelevant. Tempest in a teapot, mountain out of a molehill, whatever metaphor you want to use, it's hard to believe that anyone really cares about it. Am I a bad person because I don't?

Well I don't know your co-workers, but I can tell you that the obvious undertone of a lot of this is because the players doing it are black. It's a conveinent cover of "THEY'RE DISRESPECING AUR FLAG!!" but I find it a bit hard to believe that say if Tebow started doing this back when he was in the NFL and did it to protest abortion being legal, they'd be singing a different tune. When you get so mad you light shit on fire over kneeling/sitting but when your bring up police and minorities they start with the "WHAT BOUT BLACK ON BLACK CRIME???" , you kind of tip your hand.

But even still, I think most of them are full of shit about never watching again. Popularity and ratings go in cycles, and sports in general has ratings dropping. Hell MLB is a regional sport now, the NHL doesn't draw flys, MLS has a cult following at best, and the NBA is second to the NFL and yet still doesn't come close to it's overall popularity.
[+] 1 user Likes ResidentEvilFan's post
29-09-2017, 07:03 AM
(28-09-2017 05:05 PM)ImFred Wrote:  If there's anything offensive about Thursday Night Football it's the block color uniforms they make them wear... and like Thursday Night Football isn't even officially a "thing". Even Monday Night Football is barely a thing anymore. It had real mystique back in the day. Honestly, I doubt your colleagues were going to watch the game anyway unless you live in Wisconsin or Chicago.

I live in Wisconsin and my colleagues are rabid Packer fans. They would rather miss their own wedding than miss a Packer game. This boycott is entirely due to the national anthem controversy.
08-10-2017, 01:33 PM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2017 03:02 PM by Rockblossom.)
And an unexpected side benefit of the protest: DePencefication! Who knew?

Quote:Vice President Mike Pence left an Indianapolis Colts game on Sunday shortly after several players on the opposing San Francisco 49ers kneeled in protest during the national anthem.

"I left today's Colts game because @POTUS and I will not dignify any event that disrespects our soldiers, our Flag, or our National Anthem," Pence wrote on Twitter on his official @VP account, hours after tweeting that he was looking forward to taking in a game with his wife, Karen Pence.
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/08...est-243583

Added: Aaaand it gets better:
Quote:Trump said on Sunday that he asked Pence to leave the stadium in Indianapolis if any players knelt during the national anthem, an extremely likely event given the number of players on the 49ers team who kneel during the anthem before every game.

The president’s revelation suggested the White House orchestrated the walk out on purpose, raising questions about the cost of Pence’s brief trip to Indianapolis. The vice president flew there from Las Vegas, where he visited the victims and families of last week’s horrific shooting. He is now flying back West for a stop in California.

“Wait. This was orchestrated to make a point? That’s not an inexpensive thing to do,” tweeted Sen. Brian Schatz (D-Hawaii) tweeted on Sunday.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mike...mg00000009

So it was on purpose, at taxpayer expense. Lovely. Hobo
[+] 1 user Likes Rockblossom's post
08-10-2017, 01:47 PM
(08-10-2017 01:33 PM)Rockblossom Wrote:  And an unexpected side benefit of the protest: DePencefication! Who knew?

Quote:Vice President Mike Pence left an Indianapolis Colts game on Sunday shortly after several players on the opposing San Francisco 49ers kneeled in protest during the national anthem.

"I left today's Colts game because @POTUS and I will not dignify any event that disrespects our soldiers, our Flag, or our National Anthem," Pence wrote on Twitter on his official @VP account, hours after tweeting that he was looking forward to taking in a game with his wife, Karen Pence.

Except, even when they kneeled BEFORE the national anthem was sung people booed. So it's not about the "Flag, the National Anthem or soldiers" it's about people not wanting others with darker skin to be treated the same as they are. Pence is a total ignorant fuckup.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
08-10-2017, 01:48 PM
(08-10-2017 01:33 PM)Rockblossom Wrote:  And an unexpected side benefit of the protest: DePencefication! Who knew?

I don't even know what to say! Pretty soon we will have to worship and pray to the flag, and they will be blasting the anthem at us once an hour.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
08-10-2017, 04:55 PM
You (generic you) can say what you want, you can spin it however you want til you're blue in the face. But it's considered disrespectful to do anything but stand quietly during the national anthem. You don't have to do that, you have the right to kneel, lay down, moon, or do whatever you want, but people also have the right to boo it and not like it. Doesn't necessarily equal racism.

08-10-2017, 05:07 PM
(08-10-2017 04:55 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  You (generic you) can say what you want, you can spin it however you want til you're blue in the face. But it's considered disrespectful to do anything but stand quietly during the national anthem. You don't have to do that, you have the right to kneel, lay down, moon, or do whatever you want, but people also have the right to boo it and not like it. Doesn't necessarily equal racism.

Considered disrespectful by who or whom (whatever is correct). You?

If it bothers you say so. You don't dictate for anyone but you and yours what is deemed disrespectful.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
08-10-2017, 05:19 PM
(08-10-2017 05:07 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(08-10-2017 04:55 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  You (generic you) can say what you want, you can spin it however you want til you're blue in the face. But it's considered disrespectful to do anything but stand quietly during the national anthem. You don't have to do that, you have the right to kneel, lay down, moon, or do whatever you want, but people also have the right to boo it and not like it. Doesn't necessarily equal racism.

Considered disrespectful by who or whom (whatever is correct). You?

If it bothers you say so. You don't dictate for anyone but you and yours what is deemed disrespectful.

In a given context, in a given situation, it's not hard to generalize accurately about social mores like "polite" "respectful" "appropriate" "disrespectful." Social mores really exist.

If I said an adult farting loudly and giggling about it at a dinner party is considered "inappropriate" you would never come back and say, "considered inappropriate by who?" and "if it bothers you say so" and "You don't dictate what is inappropriate."

08-10-2017, 05:33 PM
You find it disrespectful.

So say that you find it disrespectful. Don't imply everyone shares your stance.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post