Forced to go through Confirmation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-06-2017, 09:41 AM
RE: Forced to go through Confirmation
I'm a former Catholic who refused Confirmation, I understand not everyone would be able to. It caused family arguments, but I still said no.

Unless you're able to move out, just through it. You don't believe it, but it will avoid arguments. To me, it's similar to not telling a 3-year-old at her tea party there's no tea in her teapot.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-06-2017, 09:47 AM
(16-06-2017 06:15 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  What seems to be the problem is that they think your atheism is a phase, or that you might be a little too young to be able to know what you believe.

If he is too young to know what he believes, he is also too young for Confirmation.
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
19-06-2017, 09:55 AM
(16-06-2017 06:03 PM)ZeldaFan Wrote:  1.) When I told my parents that there's no point in confirming, my parents started to get a little mad. They told me that "they made a promise to god, their church, and my deceased nana that I would get confirmed." I decided not to say anything after that because things were already starting to get a little heated, and I didn't want to start a fight.

2.) The most recent discussion, my parents brought up Confirmation and I told them kindly that I don't want to do it because I don't believe, but my dad started to raise his voice and say, "You do believe in him and you don't even know it." My mom on the other hand, started to get mad and said, "You are still going through Confirmation and you're going to stand up and say that you believe." I was extremely pissed about what they said and I lost my temper.

Re the points above:

Point 1, is what we call "the guilt trip". People will drop all sorts of crap on you, to make you feel bad, and thus make you want to atone and resolve the "issue", in this case getting confirmed.

Point 2, just stick to your guns is all I can say. I know you don't feel like you have much choice at 13, but you really really do.

A suggestion, and it may be a bad one, but if you speak to your church reverend and tell him your problems, and how you don't want to go through with it, perhaps he'll speak to your parents about it.

I can only really say, if you 100% do not want to go through with it. Don't. On the day, peacefully protest and just lie down on the floor and refuse. If they get angry/threaten you, call the police. Sounds drastic, but it also sounds like they will trying to "make" you go at all costs.

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick