Forcing christian bakers to bake gay cakes is wrong

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2016, 08:38 PM
RE: Forcing christian bakers to bake gay cakes is wrong
(08-02-2016 08:27 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(08-02-2016 08:25 PM)Chas Wrote:  No, that won't pass the smell test. You are really desperate here.

How so?

You are ignoring reality to maintain your view; you are clutching at straws to maintain an untenable position.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2016, 08:46 PM

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
08-02-2016, 08:48 PM
(08-02-2016 08:38 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-02-2016 08:27 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  How so?

You are ignoring reality to maintain your view; you are clutching at straws to maintain an untenable position.

I'll admit, I'm not a lawyer. Maybe someone with more business law experience than myself could chime in on the legality of such a thing.

Or, are you certain that such a thing would be illegal?
08-02-2016, 08:54 PM
(08-02-2016 08:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

That's the most gay thing I've seen in this thread so far. No really, those people look like they're having a jolly gay old time. Yes, quite.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
08-02-2016, 08:57 PM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2016 09:01 PM by GirlyMan.)
(08-02-2016 08:54 PM)cactus Wrote:  
(08-02-2016 08:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

That's the most gay thing I've seen in this thread so far. No really, those people look like they're having a jolly gay old time. Yes, quite.

The Moose is a big and powerful animal with a big Mooseheart and an ample Moosehaven. .

#sigh
08-02-2016, 09:06 PM
(08-02-2016 08:48 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(08-02-2016 08:38 PM)Chas Wrote:  You are ignoring reality to maintain your view; you are clutching at straws to maintain an untenable position.

I'll admit, I'm not a lawyer. Maybe someone with more business law experience than myself could chime in on the legality of such a thing.

What thing did I claim would be illegal? Someone falsely claiming a business is a 'club' solely to circumvent the law? Consider

A club can pick and choose its members, but it has to operate as such - it cannot be open to the public.
If it operates like a business open to the public but claims to be a club, it will be treated as a business and be subject to the same laws.
A business open to the public cannot pick and choose who it will serve - that is the law.

[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
08-02-2016, 09:08 PM
(08-02-2016 09:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-02-2016 08:48 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  I'll admit, I'm not a lawyer. Maybe someone with more business law experience than myself could chime in on the legality of such a thing.

What thing did I claim would be illegal? Someone falsely claiming a business is a 'club' solely to circumvent the law? Consider

A club can pick and choose its members, but it has to operate as such - it cannot be open to the public.
If it operates like a business open to the public but claims to be a club, it will be treated as a business and be subject to the same laws.
A business open to the public cannot pick and choose who it will serve - that is the law.

Yeah. That's pretty much why there are clubs.

#sigh
08-02-2016, 09:14 PM
(08-02-2016 09:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-02-2016 08:48 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  I'll admit, I'm not a lawyer. Maybe someone with more business law experience than myself could chime in on the legality of such a thing.

Right. So how am I ignoring reality? I'm simply asking if it would be legal for a baker to open a club that is open only to heterosexual people? If the answer is yes, I don't see what your problem is. This seems to me to be a solution for homophobic bakers, unless I'm missing something...
[+] 1 user Likes Matt Finney's post
08-02-2016, 09:19 PM
(08-02-2016 09:14 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(08-02-2016 09:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  What thing did I claim would be illegal? Someone falsely claiming a business is a 'club' solely to circumvent the law? Consider

Right. So how am I ignoring reality? I'm simply asking if it would be legal for a baker to open a club that is open only to heterosexual people? If the answer is yes, I don't see what your problem is. This seems to me to be a solution for homophobic bakers, unless I'm missing something...

I think the answer to that is yes. ... but they might be required to demonstrate it.

#sigh
08-02-2016, 09:20 PM
(08-02-2016 07:53 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(08-02-2016 07:49 PM)Chas Wrote:  It would have to operate as a club, not a business open to the public.

What is your point? You haven't even acknowledged the arguments against your opinion.

I guess I'm fine with it if all he has to do is call his bakery a club. I can live with that. Kind of like what paleophyte said....just make them advertise, and you're good to go. Works for me.

(08-02-2016 09:14 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(08-02-2016 09:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  What thing did I claim would be illegal? Someone falsely claiming a business is a 'club' solely to circumvent the law? Consider

You are missing that you said:

(08-02-2016 07:53 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  I guess I'm fine with it if all he has to do is call his bakery a club.

Just calling it a club is not enough.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post