Forcing christian bakers to bake gay cakes is wrong

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-02-2016, 04:01 PM
RE: Forcing christian bakers to bake gay cakes is wrong
(06-02-2016 03:59 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(06-02-2016 03:56 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  Do you think that restaurants should be allowed to refuse customers with body odor?

Speaking of gay...

When I saw Queen in concert, the guy next to me stank of body odour.

I think I recall him better than the concert! Weeping
Don't worry about mate. There's nothing wrong with you being attracted to men. (^_^)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Nishi Karano Kaze's post
06-02-2016, 04:02 PM
Perhaps I should have said "fragrance"? Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
06-02-2016, 04:02 PM
(06-02-2016 03:50 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(06-02-2016 03:43 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  Agreed. Public places and facilities (post office, government buildings, parks, schools, etc.) no discrimination.

But regarding privately owned business, it would be my preference to allow them to choose who they do business with.

Should a woman (who runs a massage parlor) be forced to give a massage to the man convicted of raping her? (we'll assume the guy is paroled).

Let people choose. The market is equipped to work this kind of shit out.

Except when it's not.

In some areas there is only one place that does for example, wedding cakes.

So if they don't want to put two brides on the cake or two grooms, they should have the right to tell their customers to suck it?

What if the florist refused to sell you flowers because you were buying them for a wife or girlfriend and not your gay lover/spouse) and forced you to drive 50 miles out of your way to purchase elsewhere?

Agreed but if that florist did wedding arrangements (a form of commissioned work organized in advance) they should have the right to refuse that commission. It makes them serious slimeballs and deserving of the business failing but they should be allowed to do it anyhow.
06-02-2016, 04:11 PM
There's no right or wrong answer to this.

Some people want to let businesses decide who they want to business with and other don't, simple as that. It's just a matter of preference, can we at least all agree on that?
[+] 1 user Likes Matt Finney's post
06-02-2016, 04:26 PM
(06-02-2016 03:43 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(06-02-2016 02:58 PM)Chas Wrote:  Nope. The public is the public.

[Image: whites-only-fountain.jpeg?w=1200]

[Image: gay-waterfountains-660x350-1413528166.jpg]

Agreed. Public places and facilities (post office, government buildings, parks, schools, etc.) no discrimination.

But regarding privately owned business, it would be my preference to allow them to choose who they do business with.

Should a woman (who runs a massage parlor) be forced to give a massage to the man convicted of raping her? (we'll assume the guy is paroled).

Let people choose. The market is equipped to work this kind of shit out.

When that was legal, it led to systemic discrimination. Your argument fails.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 8 users Like Chas's post
06-02-2016, 04:26 PM
(06-02-2016 04:11 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  There's no right or wrong answer to this.

Some people want to let businesses decide who they want to business with and other don't, simple as that. It's just a matter of preference, can we at least all agree on that?

No, it's illegal and when you open a business you contract with your city (a business license) to abide the laws and regulations for opening and operating a public business. If you don't follow the laws and regulations that you agreed to, you are breaking the contract and breaking the law.

Are you saying laws and contracts should have no meaning?

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 5 users Like Heatheness's post
06-02-2016, 04:29 PM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2016 04:33 PM by ClydeLee.)
(06-02-2016 04:11 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  There's no right or wrong answer to this.

Sure some people want to let it be that way.. but when the concept is argumented via the statement, the market is equipped to to work this shit out, it's demonstrably inaccurate. Historically across all types of scenarios it's shown to not, but with a couple tweaks to the market it pretty much is able to work out without such shifts.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 3 users Like ClydeLee's post
06-02-2016, 04:49 PM
(06-02-2016 03:43 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  Should a woman (who runs a massage parlor) be forced to give a massage to the man convicted of raping her? (we'll assume the guy is paroled).

(06-02-2016 03:56 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  Do you think that restaurants should be allowed to refuse customers with body odor?

These aren't proper analogies though.
A gay person hasn't caused grievous bodily harm on the supplier, they don't have an off putting smell that inhibits other customers from enjoying their meal/experience at a restaurant.

Better analogies would be having a restaurant or pub that refuses to sell to blacks or Mexicans or Maoris or Australians, or blondes, or people that drive red cars or people who like rap music.

Discrimination against people because of their race or preferences rather than based on a previous history of personal grievance with that particular person.
[+] 9 users Like Stevil's post
06-02-2016, 05:16 PM
(06-02-2016 04:26 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  

No, it's illegal and when you open a business you contract with your city (a business license) to abide the laws and regulations for opening and operating a public business. If you don't follow the laws and regulations that you agreed to, you are breaking the contract and breaking the law.

Are you saying laws and contracts should have no meaning?

Ok.... But I'm saying that there is no right or wrong answer to the question of "should it be legal to refuse service for any reason?"

I'm just saying that laws are based on preference.
06-02-2016, 05:22 PM
(06-02-2016 04:49 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(06-02-2016 03:43 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  Should a woman (who runs a massage parlor) be forced to give a massage to the man convicted of raping her? (we'll assume the guy is paroled).

These aren't proper analogies though.
A gay person hasn't caused grievous bodily harm on the supplier, they don't have an off putting smell that inhibits other customers from enjoying their meal/experience at a restaurant.

Better analogies would be having a restaurant or pub that refuses to sell to blacks or Mexicans or Maoris or Australians, or blondes, or people that drive red cars or people who like rap music.

Discrimination against people because of their race or preferences rather than based on a previous history of personal grievance with that particular person.

Yeah, but a person might find a gay person to be disgusting. Similarly, a restaurant owner might find a homeless person with a strong odor to be disgusting. Really, anyone can perceive just about anything to be disgusting.

You all draw the line at body odor, I just think we should let business operate the way they want. It's dumb on their part to refuse to take people's money. I say let them be dumb.