Forcing christian bakers to bake gay cakes is wrong

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-02-2016, 05:46 PM
RE: Forcing christian bakers to bake gay cakes is wrong
(06-02-2016 05:27 PM)DerFish Wrote:  We reserve the right to serve refuse to anyone. Now read that again slowly!

And bring back apartheid!!! Facepalm

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
06-02-2016, 05:51 PM
(06-02-2016 05:40 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(06-02-2016 05:29 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  All I'm saying is that it is my preference to let business owners choose who they want to do business with. Sure, some people are going to get their feelings hurt, but freedom always comes with a price.

We live in country of free speech. That doesn't mean you have the right to not be offended. It's part of the trade off.

Chas, would you support a restaurant owner's right to refuse service to a homeless man due to body odor?

That is a poor comparison and a very weak argument. While a business has the right to ask someone who is disruptive to leave the premises, they do not - and should not - gave the right to refuse service to someone who simply is some gender, race, religion, etc.

And the reason that it is - and should remain - illegal to do so is that it opens the door to systemic discrimination.
And that is far more damaging to a free society than a fucking bigots's butthurt.

So we can discriminate all we want, so long as it's only against smelly homeless people.... Gasp Drinking Beverage

You think businesses should be able to refuse service to smelly homeless men, I think businesses should be allowed to refuse service to anyone for any reason. We both draw a line in the sand, just at different locations.

BTW, I'm not really making an argument so much, but rather just stating my preference.
06-02-2016, 05:53 PM
Just throw cups of icy water on them and it goes viral.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
06-02-2016, 06:02 PM
(06-02-2016 05:53 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Just throw cups of icy water on them and it goes viral.

Though if you sent boiling water suddenly they're all burned and it's your fault somehow.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
06-02-2016, 06:18 PM
(06-02-2016 05:51 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(06-02-2016 05:40 PM)Chas Wrote:  That is a poor comparison and a very weak argument. While a business has the right to ask someone who is disruptive to leave the premises, they do not - and should not - gave the right to refuse service to someone who simply is some gender, race, religion, etc.

And the reason that it is - and should remain - illegal to do so is that it opens the door to systemic discrimination.
And that is far more damaging to a free society than a fucking bigots's butthurt.

So we can discriminate all we want, so long as it's only against smelly homeless people.... Gasp Drinking Beverage

You think businesses should be able to refuse service to smelly homeless men, I think businesses should be allowed to refuse service to anyone for any reason. We both draw a line in the sand, just at different locations.

BTW, I'm not really making an argument so much, but rather just stating my preference.

Your preference is dangerous to society, so there's that. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Chas's post
06-02-2016, 06:21 PM
(06-02-2016 06:02 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(06-02-2016 05:53 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Just throw cups of icy water on them and it goes viral.

Though if you sent boiling water suddenly they're all burned and it's your fault somehow.

It'd just go viral faster. Big Grin

It'd be the hottest viral video of the week!

Banjo.
06-02-2016, 08:58 PM
(06-02-2016 05:24 PM)Anjele Wrote:  In the little town where we lived in SC there was a privately owned hardware store that also had a small sawmill attached. I went in there one day with my then ten year old son in hopes of not having to drive half an hour to a chain hardware store. Making small talk with the owner as I looked for the couple things I needed, he decided I needed to know that he didn't want or need money from n****rs. He proceeded in a racist rant as I shoved my son back out the door.

I put the items I had picked up on the counter and told him that he didn't need my money either.

Could I have made some sort of case out it? Not where I was. But I could make sure our household didn't spend another dime there.

Refusing service to one group of people can result in the loss of business with other people.

The problem won't end unless others do the same thing and refuse to do business with bigots like that.

I think I saw your pic in the pic thread, and I don't recall that you look like a person of color. Maybe I missed that, or just don't remember it right. Either way, that guy is a complete jackass. It is a shame that you will have to travel further to get common items that could be had locally, supporting your local community. Sad
06-02-2016, 09:03 PM
(06-02-2016 08:58 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(06-02-2016 05:24 PM)Anjele Wrote:  In the little town where we lived in SC there was a privately owned hardware store that also had a small sawmill attached. I went in there one day with my then ten year old son in hopes of not having to drive half an hour to a chain hardware store. Making small talk with the owner as I looked for the couple things I needed, he decided I needed to know that he didn't want or need money from n****rs. He proceeded in a racist rant as I shoved my son back out the door.

I put the items I had picked up on the counter and told him that he didn't need my money either.

Could I have made some sort of case out it? Not where I was. But I could make sure our household didn't spend another dime there.

Refusing service to one group of people can result in the loss of business with other people.

The problem won't end unless others do the same thing and refuse to do business with bigots like that.

I think I saw your pic in the pic thread, and I don't recall that you look like a person of color. Maybe I missed that, or just don't remember it right. Either way, that guy is a complete jackass. It is a shame that you will have to travel further to get common items that could be had locally, supporting your local community. Sad

I am not...I am of German, English, and Scottish heritage, as far as I know. I just figured if the guy didn't 'need' money from people of color, he didn't need any from my pale skinned, blue eyed self either.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 5 users Like Anjele's post
06-02-2016, 10:03 PM
(06-02-2016 09:03 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(06-02-2016 08:58 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I think I saw your pic in the pic thread, and I don't recall that you look like a person of color. Maybe I missed that, or just don't remember it right. Either way, that guy is a complete jackass. It is a shame that you will have to travel further to get common items that could be had locally, supporting your local community. Sad

I am not...I am of German, English, and Scottish heritage, as far as I know. I just figured if the guy didn't 'need' money from people of color, he didn't need any from my pale skinned, blue eyed self either.

Gotcha. So he starts up on a rant even with no darker people around. No I went to a barber (once) who started up ranting about Mexicans (I'm in California) during my hair cut. I never went back. Interestingly enough, I was at another barber shop in the same town (where I live) after that, and a guy mentioned that other barber. I sad that everybody may go there...once. The other barbers just chuckled. I guess he's made a name for himself. He's still in business, about ten years later, so I guess he's got a lot of people like him, in a town of population ~100,000. Too bad.

And good for you. Hopefully that place isn't like the "Company Store", for the rest of the community.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
06-02-2016, 10:07 PM
(06-02-2016 10:03 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(06-02-2016 09:03 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I am not...I am of German, English, and Scottish heritage, as far as I know. I just figured if the guy didn't 'need' money from people of color, he didn't need any from my pale skinned, blue eyed self either.

Gotcha. So he starts up on a rant even with no darker people around. No I went to a barber (once) who started up ranting about Mexicans (I'm in California) during my hair cut. I never went back. Interestingly enough, I was at another barber shop in the same town (where I live) after that, and a guy mentioned that other barber. I sad that everybody may go there...once. The other barbers just chuckled. I guess he's made a name for himself. He's still in business, about ten years later, so I guess he's got a lot of people like him, in a town of population ~100,000. Too bad.

And good for you. Hopefully that place isn't like the "Company Store", for the rest of the community.

Choosing to do nothing is still a choice. Sadly, many people go that route. Being in Klanland at the time meant the guy had plenty of like-minded patrons. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF