Forget Mother Theresa. Who were the most generous/philanthropic people ever?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-03-2013, 06:45 PM
Forget Mother Theresa. Who were the most generous/philanthropic people ever?
For some reason, Mother Theresa has been dominating the news and social media lately. People still praise her as being one of the most giving and caring people ever, when anyone who's read Christopher Hitchens knows that she was actually more of a religious zealot who took delight in the suffering of mankind. She thought pain and suffering brought you closer to God and so she ran her Home for the Dying like a House of Pain. Gandhi was a racist and openly called Africans "lazy niggers." Jesus was a narcissist cult leader.

So I'm wondering who you all think are the REAL saints of the world. The people who only had the well-being of his fellow man in mind. The true philanthropists. I tried to find some suggestions to start us off, but Google seems to think that generosity is only found through dollars being donated. Yes, Warren Buffet has given a lot of money to helpful organizations... but that's because he HAS lots of money. The person who only has 10 dollars and gives away all 10 dollars is more generous that someone giving half of their millions.

I guess I'll take a cue from P&T's Bullshit and suggest Norman Borlaug to get the ball rolling.

Norman Ernest Borlaug (March 25, 1914 – September 12, 2009) was an American agronomist, humanitarian and Nobel laureate who has been called "the father of the Green Revolution" and "The Man Who Saved A Billion Lives". He is one of six people to have won the Nobel Peace Prize, the Presidential Medal of Freedom and the Congressional Gold Medal and was also awarded the Padma Vibhushan, India's second highest civilian honor.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
06-03-2013, 07:43 PM
RE: Forget Mother Theresa. Who were the most generous/philanthropic people ever?
We'll never know who the most philanthropic people are or were, because they didn't need anyone to know.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post
06-03-2013, 07:49 PM
Re: Forget Mother Theresa. Who were the most generous/philanthropic people ever?
Bill gates is pretty cool. Donates milllions to charity every year.

The Out Crowd.
06-03-2013, 07:51 PM
RE: Forget Mother Theresa. Who were the most generous/philanthropic people ever?
My grandparents Shy They came out of retirement, no questions asked, to raise my young cousins when their father died and nobody was there to take them in.

If you want FAMOUS people, I got nothing... Huh

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
07-03-2013, 12:55 AM
(06-03-2013 07:49 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Bill gates is pretty cool. Donates milllions to charity every year.
I was gonna say gates too.

He's donated over 30billion to charity. Not only that but he has several charities aimed at eradicating dieases in places like Africa and other poor places. And has done successfully on several accounts I might add.

He's also got that charity started where billionaires pledge to donate half their wealth.

I know you said Bucky that it's not much when you look at their total wealth. ie: If you donate 99billion and had 100billion, you still have 1billion dollars...

BUT the truth is, money gets shit done.

They tell me I'm the shit, I'm like 'duh...'
[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
07-03-2013, 12:35 PM
I'd nominate Albert Einstein or Nikola Tesla.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
β€œThe whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
[+] 1 user Likes TrulyX's post