Formal Introduction

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-01-2010, 01:12 AM

Formal Introduction
I joined this forum after I bumped into TheThinkingAtheist's videos on YouTube. Consider this my formal introduction, since right after I joined I started posting.

My name is Nahuel and I'm from Argentina. Perhaps some of you know that South America is very religous. Mostly catholic. I live in a small town in the north, one of the most religous cities in the country. So I grew up surrounded by religion and religious people. I even went to a religious school! I was baptized catholic, as a baby, but never went further than that. My parents did it mostly because of tradition. They never obligated me to do anything I didn't want. They asked me if I wanted to go to Catechesis school(?) when I was about 8 or 9 and I agreed. I went only twice and then, after almost dying of boredom, I quit.
As I grew up, studying at a catholic school, I got to learn a lot about catholics and religion in general. So that's when I started questioning everything, investigating and informing myself. So I formed myself as an atheist, pretty much. I never had what it takes to have faith or believe in a God.

So. Thanks to whoever took the time to read it all.

---
Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2010, 08:58 AM

RE: Formal Introduction
Welcome! Have you been excommunicated yet? I sent a letter to the Vatican asking to be, but never got a reply. Kinda wanted to frame it.
06-01-2010, 09:55 AM

haha, I actually never thought about it! Of course, I wouldn't really care if the Catholic church had me in their shitlist. What's the procedure? It would be cool, like you say, have a paper like that framed Tongue

Still, tradition here is really strong. Pretty much everyone gets married in a church. That's something I've never really wanted, but who knows. Maybe I'll be forced Tongue
06-01-2010, 02:35 PM

I'm always amazed when I hear stories about how people broke free from the conditioning they received as a child. So many people never cross that bridge and it intrigues me that some people do and others don't. You have to have a lot of natural intelligence to be able question the validity of something that everyone around you just takes for granted. But as far as being married in a church, that's no big deal. You can always think what you want but still use the church for what it's worth---to bring together communities that lack resources or for other types of personal engagement. Anyway, the church needs atheists on the periphery if for nothing else but to help others like yourself find the way out. My hat is off to you.
06-01-2010, 05:00 PM

(06-01-2010 02:35 PM)Grassharpper Wrote:  But as far as being married in a church, that's no big deal. You can always think what you want but still use the church for what it's worth---to bring together communities that lack resources for other types of personal engagement. Anyway, the church needs atheists on the periphery if for nothing else but to help others like yourself find the way out. My hat is off to you.

Well said.
But you know, looking back at all people I know who got married in a church (well, all of them actually) I've noticed how tradition is a lot stronger than belief. I mean, brides will do it mostly because they dream of the day that they will walk to the altar in a big white dress. God's acceptance of their union comes to be a minor thing.