Forman Cuban leader Fidel Castro died.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-11-2016, 01:27 AM
RE: Forman Cuban leader Fidel Castro died.
Dang. I know he was old and ill for quite a while but still, it's a pretty big deal. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-11-2016, 04:33 AM
He made me laugh in 2000 with his remark about "sending election observers" to Florida -- you had to see the delivery -- he had a perfect pause and smirk.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
26-11-2016, 08:05 AM
Miami is celebrating in the streets...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
26-11-2016, 09:08 AM (This post was last modified: 26-11-2016 09:14 AM by Full Circle.)
I have to say this news has been anti-climatic for me and the question that runs through my mind is what would my life have been like without the rise of Fidel Castro?

"This is a moment to celebrate the prospect of a future without Fidel Castro. He should be remembered as the cynical dictator who nearly destroyed Cuba for the gratification of his own ego. Building a free, open and prosperous democracy would be the Cuban people’s greatest, most satisfying payback.

The totalitarian dictator is dead. May his police state and inhumanity be buried along with him.

http://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/edito...rylink=cpy

I was eight months old when my parents boarded one of the last scheduled flights out of Havana to Miami in late 1960. My father later found out that his name was added a few days later to the list of those who would not be allowed to leave. One of my grandfathers was a naval architect and by the time he decided he wished to join the rest of the family in Miami it was too late. He died in 1971, my dad never saw him again.

With little money and a few pieces of luggage my parents rented a small place on Miami Beach and within the week Hurricane Donna hit South Florida. Dad, desperate for work, took a job with a glazing company repairing broken windows up and down the coast. He had been working as a production manager in the Coca Cola bottling plant in Havana and had no experience with glass but with three mouths to feed he took what he could get.

Luckily my dad spoke English, his father (the naval architect) had sent him to study abroad to a little Catholic college in Cullman, Alabama in the 1950’s (founded by German immigrants https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cullman,_Alabama). He played football there, his stories of intolerance for Catholics on away games, especially one that is hispanic, colored my view of the world in ways I would not realize for years after.

I am the oldest of four brothers and through thick and thin my parents saw that all of us went to college, even when he had to max out every credit card they had and work ungodly hours to see that we received a higher education. He took us wherever work could be found as a production manager and in his late 50’s he started his own business. He partnered with an aeronautical engineer that held design patents to convert passenger planes to cargo planes and he put his knowledge of manufacturing to use. Dad bought the building, the tools and the material to make cargo doors, ball mats and all the necessary modifications needed for the task and retired fifteen years later a well-off man. From this I learned the value of perseverance.

My mother held the fort down at home, we sometimes lived in rental homes and double-wide trailers. The road was filled with difficult times, so much so that for a span of several years she went into a deep depression and attempted several suicides. Dad never left her side, from this I learned what true love meant.

You might have seen me post recently that my father suffered a minor stroke, as always mom didn’t leave his side. Then a few days ago my mother is hospitalized with diverticulitis, and as always dad didn’t leave her side. Both are recovering at home, thank you to those of you who extended their support.

By any stretch of the imagination my family is a story of immigrant success. One of my brothers is a world renowned surgeon in robotic gynecologic-oncology surgery. The other two are RNs that work with him in his practice. I am the dumb one. I wanted to design things and follow in the footsteps of my naval-engineer grandfather whom I never had the opportunity to know. Studied architecture and construction management and became a general contractor. Parleyed my design and construction knowledge into commercial real estate and now have my own investment company.

I am the product of immigrants (which should explain my constant political rants) but first and foremost I consider myself an American through and through. I was naturalized as a citizen when I was fifteen which at that time I thought weird since I considered myself an American already, it was all I had ever known. Because of this I can empathize with all those children born of immigrant parents, it strikes a personal nerve.

Back to my original question, what would my life have been like without the rise of Fidel Castro? Who knows? The reality is that my life was shaped by political turmoil, the product of the American dream of freedom and the pursuit of happiness, of public schools and hard work, a lot of luck and much perseverance. And most of all loving and supportive parents, parents who are coming to the end of their lives now having lived through life-altering displacement and hardships that I cannot begin to imagine.

In the end I’m not sure if I should say today to the ghost of Castro, “fuck you” or “thanks”. As I said at the beginning, it feels anti-climatic, an event I have waited for all my life that now has zero consequence for me, how strange. Anyway, now you know more about me that you probably wanted to if you read this far Wink and explains some of the POV I express in the forum.

Time to call mom and dad and see how they feel this morning.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 15 users Like Full Circle's post
26-11-2016, 09:21 AM
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-38117068

“Mr Corbyn praised the former Cuban president’s revolutionary “heroism”, his presence on the world stage and Cuba's health and education systems."

Former Labour MP George Galloway tweeted a picture of himself with Castro, writing: "You were the greatest man I ever met Comandante Fidel. You were the man of the century.”

Former Labour London mayor Ken Livingstone called Castro an “absolute giant” of the 20th century."

Why so many dumbass Brits? Facepalm

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
26-11-2016, 09:49 AM
NOOOOOO who will give us candy now?

(bonus points for anyone who gets this referencej

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 3 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
26-11-2016, 10:20 AM
Dude died on black friday by the way. Something interesting to point out.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 2 users Like Metazoa Zeke's post
26-11-2016, 10:34 AM
(26-11-2016 08:05 AM)Dom Wrote:  Miami is celebrating in the streets...

I only learned quite recently that immigrants from Cuba can not be illegal. I forget where I read it but it was an article about why so many Floridian Latinos were likely to vote for Trump.

Meanwhile...

"Where are you now?
Broken up or still around?
The CIA says you're a guilty man
Will we see the likes of you again?"

Undecided

26-11-2016, 10:41 AM
Hey all you right wing economic nutfucks, just so you know outside a very few CHE nutfucks, most on the left DO NOT LIKE CASTRO EITHER.

It is a complete fucking myth that because people like Bernie Sanders or Warren for that matter, point out the selfish monopolies of the top, that somehow we value dictators like Castro. NO AND FUCK YOU.

This stems from the bullshit the right constantly sells that capitalism is a form of government. NO IT IS NOT! China lacks political pluralism and religious freedom, but they most certainly value capitalism. Don't believe me? Next time you assholes on the right buy your cheap crap at Walmart look at the fucking label "MADE IN CHINA".

The CASTRO family is not poor, Putin is not poor, and even UN's family has personal wealth due to investments in the global market. CAPITALISM exists in BOTH open and closed societies. The Saudi Royal family owns oil companies and invests in banks and weapons. Gadaffi was a billionaire who owned stock in GE.

This liberal ME, IS GLAD CASTRO IS DEAD. But just because the left wants health care and free higher education DOES NOT mean we need to become CUBA, that is fucking bullshit.

The GOP just elected an asshole who is having his dick sucked by Putin, PUTIN, a product of the COMMUNISM they rightfully condemn the same product of oppressive USSR that propped up CASTRO.

And like CASTRO attacked the free press and threatened political rivals, GUESS WHAT ASSHOLES you just elected a fucker who won using the same despotic language of hyper nationalism. Oh and you don't have to agree with this liberal, Trump's vile demagoguery was condemned by 50 former republican law agents.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-11-2016, 12:33 PM
Funny, Castro was a rather popular in Canada thanks to good relationship with Pierre Trudeau and René Levesque, both giants in our political landscape. Our, current Prime Minister, the son of Pierre Trudeau, gave a classic condoleances speech to Castro's family which made some of our politician particularly mad. Lets hope that Castro's death will pave the way to a better Cuba who will be able to preserve its independance from the US, keep its rather good healthcare and education system, develop itself economically and develop a stable democracy.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post