Former Atheist
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-03-2017, 10:02 PM
RE: Former Atheist
Welcome. Not sure what you're talking about in your opening post. I'm a theist and I speak quite openly here. While the atheists may not agree with me, I've been treated very well and I'm respected as an individual. Treat people as you'd like to be treated and you'll do just fine here.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 8 users Like Aliza's post
05-03-2017, 10:04 PM
Though you didn't offer a hello, I will offer a hello to you.

If your mission is to be part of the forum, that's what will happen. If your mission is to be banned...that will probably happen.

We generally give people a chance, perhaps you could do the same. In keeping with the rules...

[Image: aow4so.jpg]

Welcome.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 5 users Like Anjele's post
05-03-2017, 10:08 PM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2017 10:39 PM by cactus.)
Greetings, fschmidt.

Where are you in your religious journey now, after having involuntarily come to the realization that the number of claims about deities that you now find convincing is a number greater than zero?

Was there a gradual process of self-reflection, or more of a sudden awakening that made you go, "Oh, it makes a lot more sense for me to conclude this instead"?

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 2 users Like cactus's post
05-03-2017, 11:28 PM
(05-03-2017 10:08 PM)cactus Wrote:  Where are you in your religious journey now, after having involuntarily come to the realization that the number of claims about deities that you now find convincing is a number greater than zero?

Was there a gradual process of self-reflection, or more of a sudden awakening that made you go, "Oh, it makes a lot more sense for me to conclude this instead"?

I was raised Atheist. Later I read the Old Testament and I loved it. I posted to Atheist forums saying how much I love the Old Testament and they all banned me. Then I realized that I no longer wanted to label myself as an Atheist. So now I define God as the forces of nature and I label myself as a theist. I follow the Old Testament because I love its ethics. I hate modern culture with a passion, and I am banned from every forum that is part of modern culture. The only forums where I am not banned are a conservative Mennonite forum and a Muslim forum. You can read more of my views here:

http://www.mikraite.org/God-for-Atheists-tp18.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-03-2017, 11:39 PM
(05-03-2017 11:28 PM)fschmidt Wrote:  
(05-03-2017 10:08 PM)cactus Wrote:  Where are you in your religious journey now, after having involuntarily come to the realization that the number of claims about deities that you now find convincing is a number greater than zero?

I was raised Atheist. Later I read the Old Testament and I loved it. I posted to Atheist forums saying how much I love the Old Testament and they all banned me. Then I realized that I no longer wanted to label myself as an Atheist. So now I define God as the forces of nature and I label myself as a theist. I follow the Old Testament because I love its ethics. I hate modern culture with a passion, and I am banned from every forum that is part of modern culture. The only forums where I am not banned are a conservative Mennonite forum and a Muslim forum. You can read more of my views here:

http://www.mikraite.org/God-for-Atheists-tp18.html

I think it's great that you enjoy the old testament. A little bit frightened that you enjoy it ethical reasons, though. Blink

I love reading the bible, even though I am an atheist. A lot on the forum are very familiar with the old testament. You won't be banned for talking about your interests, only for not following forum guidelines, so I've seen.
[+] 4 users Like Larai19's post
06-03-2017, 12:04 AM
Hello! Big Grin
06-03-2017, 12:14 AM
(05-03-2017 11:39 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  I think it's great that you enjoy the old testament. A little bit frightened that you enjoy it ethical reasons, though. Blink

An existential nihilist shouldn't be frightened of any ethics.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-03-2017, 12:46 AM
Welcome. We have quite a few theists, even Christians, who are more than welcome here, and are a valuable part of our community.

Many theists (Christians, mostly) come here thinking that they already know what atheists think, and proceed to tell us what that is. They make insulting strawman after insulting strawman argument (false versions of your opponent's argument that are easily torn down, in place of attacking the real thing), don't listen to or take seriously our replies, and then come back several times to say the same things we have already disproved by direct evidence, as if we had not taken the time to reply to them and do the research often necessary for those replies.

It's insulting, and it appears to be because they don't think we deserve respect-- the respect to be spoken of as normal human beings, the respect to be wholly listened to when answering the questions thrown at us, and the respect to not be told what we think (especially after we've all told you that it's not at all what we think). Many of us here are experts in theological subjects, having spent much of our lives researching the claims of the dominant religions in our culture; some of us even have advanced degrees in the subject. When you tell us we "just don't understand because we're atheists" (as most who come here sounding like you started out sounding will eventually do), you're writing us off because we're atheists, rather than realizing that we're usually citing to Christian experts on the subject of the history of the Bible when we say what we say, and are happy at any time to provide references for any claims made.

When we say "Citation Required" to a theist, they get angry at us, like we're being petulant-- even though we do the same to one another because it's a basic principle of intellectually honest interchange of ideas. So say what you like, but be prepared to genuinely listen instead of just preaching, and be prepared to cite your sources. We expect the same of everyone.

If you are simply here to berate us and preach at us, you will probably meet the Banhammer. But it won't be because your theological beliefs make us ban you.

The right to free speech, in which we believe, does not extend to tolerating a person who comes here for no other purpose but to disrespect and abuse us. We are not gluttons for punishment. We are here for community- a community in which you are more than welcome, but not if you plan to walk in like you own the place and start abusing the members.

So welcome to TTA. I hope you wind up being one of the good ones. Smile

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 6 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
06-03-2017, 12:54 AM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2017 12:57 AM by Deesse23.)
Nice try...
I mean, REALLY nice...
Havent seen someone so creative like you for a log time. I am very impressed.
Cant wait to read more of your contribution. So, please go ahead (sorry, if i accidentally just refuted one of your points).

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
06-03-2017, 12:54 AM
(06-03-2017 12:14 AM)fschmidt Wrote:  An existential nihilist shouldn't be frightened of any ethics.

Wait? Consider

Is that the name of a band?

Big Grin
Thread Closed