Former Atheist
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-03-2017, 01:39 AM
RE: Former Atheist
(05-03-2017 11:28 PM)fschmidt Wrote:  
(05-03-2017 10:08 PM)cactus Wrote:  Where are you in your religious journey now, after having involuntarily come to the realization that the number of claims about deities that you now find convincing is a number greater than zero?

Was there a gradual process of self-reflection, or more of a sudden awakening that made you go, "Oh, it makes a lot more sense for me to conclude this instead"?

I was raised Atheist. Later I read the Old Testament and I loved it. I posted to Atheist forums saying how much I love the Old Testament and they all banned me. Then I realized that I no longer wanted to label myself as an Atheist. So now I define God as the forces of nature and I label myself as a theist. I follow the Old Testament because I love its ethics. I hate modern culture with a passion, and I am banned from every forum that is part of modern culture. The only forums where I am not banned are a conservative Mennonite forum and a Muslim forum. You can read more of my views here:

http://www.mikraite.org/God-for-Atheists-tp18.html

Laughat

Welcome

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
06-03-2017, 03:03 AM
(06-03-2017 12:58 AM)fschmidt Wrote:  
(06-03-2017 12:46 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Many theists (Christians, mostly) come here thinking that they already know what atheists think, and proceed to tell us what that is.

Having been an Atheist most of my life, I think I have a fairly good idea what Atheists think.

You actually dont.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 4 users Like Deesse23's post
06-03-2017, 03:03 AM
(06-03-2017 01:14 AM)fschmidt Wrote:  
(06-03-2017 01:12 AM)yakherder Wrote:  If you know what we think, then surely you realized before making that ridiculous statement that we would find it ridiculous.

Of course, because atheists find truth to be ridiculous.

Actually, they dont.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 2 users Like Deesse23's post
06-03-2017, 04:09 AM
(06-03-2017 12:46 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Many theists (Christians, mostly) come here thinking that they already know what atheists think, and proceed to tell us what that is.

Having been an Atheist most of my life, I think I have a fairly good idea what Atheists think.

> I am more interested in what YOU presently think and WHY. Do proceed, sir.
[+] 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post
06-03-2017, 05:35 AM
(05-03-2017 08:56 PM)fschmidt Wrote:  In your rules:

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...d-Behavior

you claim to allow free speech. From experience, I find that hard to believe. Atheists hate free speech. So let's see how long it takes for me to be banned here.

Why do you think atheists hate free speech? Unsure

Welcome anyway, I hope you enjoy the forum!
06-03-2017, 06:17 AM
Quote:Having been an Atheist most of my life, I think I have a fairly good idea what Atheists think.

Which is, of course; "I hate free speech"?

Glad you're not an atheist anymore. People invent enough reasons to hate us without you fanning the flames.

"Old men make old words holy. - A fool may scrawl on a slate and if no one has the wit to wipe it clean for a thousand years the scrawl becomes the wisdom of ages."

Honorous J. Ancrath
[+] 2 users Like M. Linoge's post
06-03-2017, 06:47 AM
G'day mate, and welcome. Smile

(05-03-2017 08:56 PM)fschmidt Wrote:  In your rules...

...you claim to allow free speech. From experience, I find that hard to believe. Atheists hate free speech. So let's see how long it takes for me to be banned here.

This is meant to be an introductory thread, wherein you tell us a bit about yourself and your beliefs etc. You also seem to be provoking us—right from the get-go—into banning you. Why so?

If you seriously believe that atheists "hate free speech" then I think you're confusing us with another group—most probably theists, who adhere with unerring rigidity to an ancient rule book which has very little credibility in an enlightened 21st century. And if a theist should disobey that rule book by manifesting his/her free speech rights, contrary to its rules, then all hell can break loose (pun intended).

And as you apparently so strongly disagree with the appropriateness of the forum's rules, why then are you even here? Do you truly think your confrontational attitude—particularly as a newbie—is gonna win you any friends, or, more importantly, earn you any respect?

I suggest that—like Damocles—you keep an eye out for the banhammer. Confused

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 7 users Like SYZ's post
06-03-2017, 06:58 AM
(05-03-2017 11:28 PM)fschmidt Wrote:  So now I define God as the forces of nature and I label myself as a theist.

Quote: I follow the Old Testament because I love its ethics.

If you are so inclined, threads on either of those would probably get a lot of responses. I'd be curious just how you define your god and what about the OT you find positive.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
06-03-2017, 07:01 AM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2017 07:06 AM by Loom.)
I hate freedom of speech? All atheists do? Consider

Odd considering we let people speak freely here, with the exception being a few subforums with rules designed to protect posters. Of course, trolling and in general acting like lilly-livered shoe-licker is usually met with the hammer.

Meanwhile most theist forums either outright ban you or severely restrict where you can post if you let it be known that you are an atheist.

All said, welcome.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 3 users Like Loom's post
06-03-2017, 07:06 AM

Having been a theist for a good portion of mine I think I have a fairly good idea what theists think. I guess we’re done exchanging ideas? You believe you know what every atheist on this forum thinks and all of us who were once theist know what you think...is that a fair synopsis of your position? Because if it is then there isn’t anything further to discuss wouldn’t you agree?

This is the intro thread and has special rules, no bashing people about the head and shoulders, this goes for both sides. Sometimes, however, the new member uses this “shield” to fling about feces with the expectation that they won’t get any on themselves. It is not unprecedented to have a thread started in the Intro section to be moved out into no-man’s land because the new member insisted on, shall we say, shitting on the carpet.

To be clear, the introduction thread is for telling us a bit about yourself in a civil manner. You play nice, we play nice. Everyone holds hands and we all sing Kumbaya.

Once you feel ready to stretch out your wings then by all means join in the fray, open a new thread or jump into an existing one as you already have done. Thumbsup

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 7 users Like Full Circle's post
Thread Closed