Former Atheist
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-03-2017, 07:14 AM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2017 07:44 AM by Free Thought.)
RE: Former Atheist
(05-03-2017 08:56 PM)fschmidt Wrote:  In your rules:

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...d-Behavior

you claim to allow free speech. From experience, I find that hard to believe. Atheists hate free speech. So let's see how long it takes for me to be banned here.

Word the the wise, a little civility goes a long way, and as it is said, you only get one first impression.

Regardless, I hope that you find your time here to be informative, you may find the forum is more than meets the eye.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Free Thought's post
06-03-2017, 07:18 AM
(05-03-2017 10:02 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Welcome. Not sure what you're talking about in your opening post. I'm a theist and I speak quite openly here. While the atheists may not agree with me, I've been treated very well and I'm respected as an individual. Treat people as you'd like to be treated and you'll do just fine here.

Ditto here. And hi new guy.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
06-03-2017, 09:23 AM
Having taken a moment to peruse the reputation pages of the two theists who commented here (Shai and Aliza), I couldn't help but notice that almost every atheist I know here has at least a few negative reps/comments, including myself... but they don't. Not one.

Funny, that.

It's almost like the comments the OP made in his greeting... aren't true.

No, that can't be it.

I know this is an into thread, but I hope the OP reads this and really takes a minute to think about the fact that he read my entire (fairly lengthy-- sorry, I'm known to be verbose) post about respecting the community members, about what not to do, and skipped all of it to focus on a single line (pulled from context) to which he wished to make a snarky reply.

This is not respect. This is not even basic decency. If you are here as a representative of a religion, you are off to a poor start, I'm afraid. If you're just here to confirm your prejudice and do whatever vile things you can think of to do in order to earn a banhammer, so you can pretend to yourself that you're persecuted by those awful, angry atheists, then it seems you're off to a good start.

I hope I am wrong about you. I really do want to see a week in which we get a theist who is not a disrespectful and bigoted, spiteful human being. It does occasionally happen, and when it does, we are fortunate to gain members whom I cherish deeply for their intellectual insight, humanity, and eloquence... like Shai and Aliza.

ProTip: If you want to persuade people that your theological ideas are valid, and not simply an emotion-fueled prejudice, then it is unwise to come into their gathering places/communities and immediately slap them in the face and/or treat them like lesser people. Please, I beg you to heed my words-- you're obviously quite intelligent, and I think you could be a valuable member of this community if you let go of your hatred.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
06-03-2017, 10:00 AM
Well, "Hello", to you, too! Wink

Welcome to the TTA forums. I hope that your aim isn't to get banned. Though you wouldn't be the first to come with that intent. Those who seek a banning, usually eventually find it via disruptive posts and trolling.

Those who really do just want a place to speak freely with those of other belief or non-belief systems will generally find this place a welcome haven- no matter their religious standing.

(06-03-2017 12:14 AM)fschmidt Wrote:  
(05-03-2017 11:39 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  I think it's great that you enjoy the old testament. A little bit frightened that you enjoy it ethical reasons, though. Blink

An existential nihilist shouldn't be frightened of any ethics.

Maybe this discussion is best left for other threads outside of the Intro forum, but since you brought this up...

It's the unethical "ethics" that are frightening, and the lack of a reasonable basis for said "ethics". For example- the genocidal tendencies of the OT biblical deity are hardly ethical. The treatment of homosexuals is not ethical. The treatment of women is not ethical. The treatment of the issue of slavery is unethical. Etc. There is much to the OT that is less than ethical by modern standards. Is that the modern world that you dislike so much?
06-03-2017, 10:37 AM
(06-03-2017 05:35 AM)Lucipurr Wrote:  Why do you think atheists hate free speech? Unsure

Because I have been banned from every atheist forum that I have posted to.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-03-2017, 10:46 AM
(06-03-2017 10:37 AM)fschmidt Wrote:  
(06-03-2017 05:35 AM)Lucipurr Wrote:  Why do you think atheists hate free speech? Unsure

Well what are you doing to get banned? It seems to me the common thread in that scenario is you.

Are you being belligerent? Are you attacking people for no reason? Are you having actual constructive conversations, even if you disagree on things?

I mean, we have had many theists come here and have really good conversations wherein we disagree- but that doesn't mean that anyone would get banned for it.

Come and learn from us and we'll learn from you. This is a place to exchange ideas. You'll get attacked sometimes (if you mistreat other people on the forums), and so will your ideas. That's common to all of us, even other atheists.

We've had to ban both theists and atheists, but it's never because of what a person believes. It's always about how they behave. And how you behave is on you.
[+] 6 users Like Emma's post
06-03-2017, 10:51 AM
(06-03-2017 10:37 AM)fschmidt Wrote:  

Correlation does not imply causation.

What is the other possibility, you know, the other commonality? Consider

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
06-03-2017, 11:01 AM
You'll last as long as you want to

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
06-03-2017, 11:27 AM
(05-03-2017 08:56 PM)fschmidt Wrote:  In your rules:

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...d-Behavior

you claim to allow free speech. From experience, I find that hard to believe. Atheists hate free speech. So let's see how long it takes for me to be banned here.

Well... I've got to say, you haven't made the best first impression on me. To lump me (and others) into hating free speech means you seem to have no idea what you are talking about. You already "assume" that you are going to be banned which leads me to believe you are going to post things that are not productive to rational conversation and thought. Time will tell I suppose but as of right now I'm holding off judgement.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
06-03-2017, 11:40 AM
Awesome fresh toys mmm
Thread Closed