Former Christian

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-06-2012, 02:26 PM
Former Christian
Hey I'm new here, I'm a 17 year old American. I've grown up as a Christian and a rather religious one at that, attending church every Sunday with my family and joining youth groups and leadership teams and mission trips but I've spent this last year as a foreign exchange student in Finland and while away from my parents I began to question what I believed and realized that I had no personal reasons to believe in a god and the further I look into it the more reason I find to not believe in one. I currently consider myself more agnostic than atheist but honestly I don't think it would even make a difference if there a god or not. anyways I'm looking forward to joining in on the conversations here. I speak English, Finnish, and Spanish all at least conversationally and I'm very much into health and exercise, I've trained in Brazilian jiu jitsu for a few years and boxing for a year now.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Billybrawner's post
06-06-2012, 04:53 PM
RE: Former Christian
[Image: f_wel2_an.gif]

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
06-06-2012, 06:50 PM
I'm curious. Do your parents (who presumably funded your trip to Scandinavia) know that you have Finnished with god?

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
06-06-2012, 06:53 PM
Welcome aboard, I hope you enjoy your time here.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
07-06-2012, 06:07 AM
Actually I did tell my dad, and he is quite religious so it hurt a bit but he keeps a religious blog, you can see his reaction here: http://atheistfriendlychristian.blogspot...html#links

He calls himself the atheist friendly Christian and actually his efforts to get to know and understand atheism led me to gain the courage to tell him of my deconversion.
[+] 2 users Like Billybrawner's post
07-06-2012, 06:13 AM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2012 06:16 AM by Logisch.)
Oh my flying spaghetti monster... your dad is victor? :X small fricken world. Seems like a nice guy, haven't met him. But I know about his blog through the COA group locally. Blew my mind when all that stuff hit reddit.
07-06-2012, 06:30 AM
Wow! I confess a lump came to my throat reading your dad's blog. What a man!
If all Christians were like that there would be far less to get upset about... but then... that would take all the fun out of it.
Welcome to the forum, dude.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
07-06-2012, 06:32 AM
Howdy!

[Image: opforum1.png]
07-06-2012, 07:12 AM
Welcome and such.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
07-06-2012, 07:14 AM
(07-06-2012 06:07 AM)Billybrawner Wrote:  Actually I did tell my dad, and he is quite religious so it hurt a bit but he keeps a religious blog, you can see his reaction here: http://atheistfriendlychristian.blogspot...html#links

He calls himself the atheist friendly Christian and actually his efforts to get to know and understand atheism led me to gain the courage to tell him of my deconversion.
You have a hell of a good father.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post