Former Christian

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-06-2012, 09:27 AM
RE: Former Christian
(06-06-2012 02:26 PM)Billybrawner Wrote:  Hey I'm new here, I'm a 17 year old American. I've grown up as a Christian and a rather religious one at that, attending church every Sunday with my family and joining youth groups and leadership teams and mission trips but I've spent this last year as a foreign exchange student in Finland and while away from my parents I began to question what I believed and realized that I had no personal reasons to believe in a god and the further I look into it the more reason I find to not believe in one. I currently consider myself more agnostic than atheist but honestly I don't think it would even make a difference if there a god or not. anyways I'm looking forward to joining in on the conversations here. I speak English, Finnish, and Spanish all at least conversationally and I'm very much into health and exercise, I've trained in Brazilian jiu jitsu for a few years and boxing for a year now.
Excellent! Welcome to the club! You'll fit right in!

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-06-2012, 12:06 PM
well folks, i guess this is a good place to kind of give alittle background on me and my time on the inside of christianity. well my dad was a pastor in central florida of a little baptist church. i was at christian summer camp every summer and when i was old enough, i began speding my summers working at that same camp as a counselor. i ran the sound board at the church, and played and wrote music. i wanted to go to school for sound engineering but my parents told me that if i didn't go to a bible college that they approved of for at least a year first, they wouldn't help pay for any school or even co-sign for student loans. oh yes... i was also homeschooled from 5th grade through high school. i went to baptist bible college in pennsylvania for a year. after that i focused on music and was in a couple little christian bands. there's obviously alot more to the story but i just wanted to give a brief introduction to me and my background. i'm sure many of you can make some general assumptions on what kinds of things i was taught and went through based on this and you'd probly be about right. i've been out of religion for about 7 years but only been an atheist for about 2years. the rest were spent looking for a "replacement" religion. but then i found the movie religulous and it got me really thinking, and so i started studying science and free thought and was introduced to TTA and Matt Dilahunty, and i haven't stopped.
[+] 1 user Likes brothershamus's post
08-06-2012, 12:52 PM
Welcome you two Smile Jeez I might have to indoctrinate my kids so that I can be all awesome about it one day when they're like "Dad this crap you taught us is... well, crap"... Anyway BB your Dad is a cool guy Thumbsup
08-06-2012, 01:04 PM
(08-06-2012 12:52 PM)morondog Wrote:  Welcome you two Smile Jeez I might have to indoctrinate my kids so that I can be all awesome about it one day when they're like "Dad this crap you taught us is... well, crap"... Anyway BB your Dad is a cool guy Thumbsup
might i suggest indoctrination into Dudeism. we base our beliefs on the lifestyle and teachings of "The Dude", aka "The Big Lebowski". i am an ordained Dudeist priest and we would love to teach you how to abide. Cool
[+] 3 users Like brothershamus's post
08-06-2012, 04:32 PM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2012 04:40 PM by GirlyMan.)
(07-06-2012 07:14 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(07-06-2012 06:07 AM)Billybrawner Wrote:  Actually I did tell my dad, and he is quite religious so it hurt a bit but he keeps a religious blog, you can see his reaction here: http://atheistfriendlychristian.blogspot...html#links

He calls himself the atheist friendly Christian and actually his efforts to get to know and understand atheism led me to gain the courage to tell him of my deconversion.
You have a hell of a good father.

What Chas said. That's how Christians advertise themselves. Few live up to it.

"I don't know, I was just gonna keep it to myself and try to get a Sunday shift at the duck store so I wouldn't have to go to church."

What the fuck is a "duck store"? They have stores which sell ducks in Finland? That weird night/day business has made them bonkers.

(08-06-2012 01:04 PM)brothershamus Wrote:  
(08-06-2012 12:52 PM)morondog Wrote:  Welcome you two Smile Jeez I might have to indoctrinate my kids so that I can be all awesome about it one day when they're like "Dad this crap you taught us is... well, crap"... Anyway BB your Dad is a cool guy Thumbsup
might i suggest indoctrination into Dudeism. we base our beliefs on the lifestyle and teachings of "The Dude", aka "The Big Lebowski". i am an ordained Dudeist priest and we would love to teach you how to abide. Cool

The White Russian is indeed a holy sacrament, brotherseamus, and while thread derailment is not typically frowned upon here (hell, depending on the thread it's sometimes encouraged), in this case it feels like bad form. You should start your own with your background since this one is pretty much Billybrawner's personal story and I'll get confused and start mixing up personal details between you two.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
08-06-2012, 06:17 PM
(08-06-2012 04:32 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(07-06-2012 07:14 AM)Chas Wrote:  You have a hell of a good father.

Yeah, I'd definitely consider myself quite lucky

(08-06-2012 04:32 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  "I don't know, I was just gonna keep it to myself and try to get a Sunday shift at the duck store so I wouldn't have to go to church."

What the fuck is a "duck store"? They have stores which sell ducks in Finland? That weird night/day business has made them bonkers.

Haha not exactly. The Duck Store is in Oregon, and it's like a memorabilia shop for the University of Oregon's sports teams (whose mascot is the duck), so they sell jerseys, hats, sweatshirts, etc bearing the school colors and mascot. That's one of my 3 jobs in America.
[+] 2 users Like Billybrawner's post
08-06-2012, 06:24 PM
Probably on par with all the rest in terms of ecocentricity and turning transendental claims into hard core coercive FACTS Dodgy
08-06-2012, 07:33 PM
(08-06-2012 06:17 PM)Billybrawner Wrote:  
(08-06-2012 04:32 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  "I don't know, I was just gonna keep it to myself and try to get a Sunday shift at the duck store so I wouldn't have to go to church."

Haha not exactly. The Duck Store is in Oregon, and it's like a memorabilia shop for the University of Oregon's sports teams (whose mascot is the duck), so they sell jerseys, hats, sweatshirts, etc bearing the school colors and mascot. That's one of my 3 jobs in America.

GirlyBoy just graduated from Southern Oregon State in Ashland, or as I call it "Hippie Central". ... There's one hell of a good chocolate factory there.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
09-06-2012, 03:23 AM
(08-06-2012 07:33 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(08-06-2012 06:17 PM)Billybrawner Wrote:  Haha not exactly. The Duck Store is in Oregon, and it's like a memorabilia shop for the University of Oregon's sports teams (whose mascot is the duck), so they sell jerseys, hats, sweatshirts, etc bearing the school colors and mascot. That's one of my 3 jobs in America.

GirlyBoy just graduated from Southern Oregon State in Ashland, or as I call it "Hippie Central". ... There's one hell of a good chocolate factory there.

Oh nice, yeah I love Ashland because they have so much organic food restaurants and stores there and my family owns a gym so we're all into health and fitness of course. But Ashland is definitely a very hippie place, although most of Oregon is, really.
[+] 1 user Likes Billybrawner's post
09-06-2012, 10:25 AM
(08-06-2012 04:32 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(07-06-2012 07:14 AM)Chas Wrote:  You have a hell of a good father.

"I don't know, I was just gonna keep it to myself and try to get a Sunday shift at the duck store so I wouldn't have to go to church."

(08-06-2012 01:04 PM)brothershamus Wrote:  might i suggest indoctrination into Dudeism. we base our beliefs on the lifestyle and teachings of "The Dude", aka "The Big Lebowski". i am an ordained Dudeist priest and we would love to teach you how to abide. Cool

The White Russian is indeed a holy sacrament, brotherseamus, and while thread derailment is not typically frowned upon here (hell, depending on the thread it's sometimes encouraged), in this case it feels like bad form. You should start your own with your background since this one is pretty much Billybrawner's personal story and I'll get confused and start mixing up personal details between you two.
sorry... i'm new to this message board thing, i thought this was a thread for former christians, i guess it is just about this one former christian. please excuse my mix-up.