Former Nazi slaves taxed for forced labour

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-11-2011, 09:33 AM
Former Nazi slaves taxed for forced labour

The German taxation services demands payment from thousands of Belgians that were shipped off as forced labourers; they have to pay taxes for their pensions. Dozens of angry ex-forced labourers have complained to the Belgian pension services.

The German parliament has voted a law in 2010, stating that pensions of forced labourers are to be taxed at 17%, with a retroactive effect! Because of this effect, many retired people are forced to pay backs hundreds of Euros, which they often can't.

For those that don't know this part of history: during the war, loads of civilians were shipped off to Germany to work in various industries. The harder ones (road works, metal etc.) were mostly reserved for foreigners, often working for a meager pay in horrendous conditions. However, since they were paid (a very small amount) and paid for healthcare and such, they were considered as workers instead of prisoners (although they were). They got a pension for their services later on, but it was often not more than €40 per month. That small amount is now taxed years back...

If you like the subject, I recommend: De Jaegher, M. De weggevoerden. (2009). Schuyt & Co, Kortenhoef. ISBN: 9789056179151. It's in Dutch sadly enough...

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-11-2011, 05:57 AM
RE: Former Nazi slaves taxed for forced labour
I've read it too.

Unbe-fucking-lievable

NOT a good way to show the world your sorry about WWII Undecided

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
20-11-2011, 09:11 AM
I smell the potential for a huge class action suit... How come there hasn't already been one?

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
20-11-2011, 09:51 AM
(20-11-2011 09:11 AM)Peterkin Wrote:  I smell the potential for a huge class action suit... How come there hasn't already been one?
80+ victims aren’t all that empowered

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
20-11-2011, 10:11 AM
And all documents were written in German, which makes it hard for many of them to understand the consequences, responsibilities, appeal methods and so on. The Belgian government hasn't got anything to do with these pensions in a strict sense, so they're kind of left on their own.

You can imagine an 80yo that needs to find a translator to understand what it says, then a lawyer to explain what it means and what kind of action must be taken, and then finally take on the German government on their own, as there isn't some kind of umbrella organisation that defends their concerns...

20-11-2011, 06:59 PM
Well then, what bloody good is the EU?

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
20-11-2011, 07:34 PM
(20-11-2011 06:59 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  Well then, what bloody good is the EU?

It isnt any good.......its just centralisation of power.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
21-11-2011, 04:29 AM (This post was last modified: 21-11-2011 04:32 AM by Thammuz.)
(20-11-2011 07:34 PM)bemore Wrote:  
(20-11-2011 06:59 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  Well then, what bloody good is the EU?

It isnt any good.......its just centralisation of power.

This has nothing to do with the EU. These pensions are a national legislative problem. If pensions were something to be regulated on the EU-level, the bill wouldn't have passed, especially if ratification needed unanimity or a qualified majority vote.

The next passage is a bit off-topic, but I'd like to talk about it nevertheless:

About the use of the EU; much can be said about its cost effectivity and its handling of international crises, but to put the blame on the EU itself is too easy.

First of all, you have to consider the necessity of the EU in Europe. Europe has always been a warmongering continent with bloody wars leading up to World War II. Kosovo is an even more recent example of what can happen if there is no international regulation of people/ethnicity/culture. Fact is, this Union prevents internal wars. Furthermore, considering the Soviet Union, the rebuilding of Europe and the powerful position of the UK and US after the war; starting a European union was a necessity to stabilize the economy and in a later stadium build up defences for the communist threat. I emphasize on the fact that you have to look at it in a historical context.

Second, most crises aren't caused by the EU itself, but because of the tension field between national protectionism and international ambitions. Because of this, the EU is unable to respond correctly to crises; it just lacks the power to enforce solutions.

Third, the emphasis on democracy inhibits some major changes that would be profitable for many countries or ecology in the long run. Nations still tend to protect their own business, without thinking of the long term consequences.

So, overall, I tend to believe that we need MORE Europe, not less. It's that or going back to the old days with border countrols, currency exchange every few 100's of km and incoherent trade relations. It might stabilize the national economy of some countries for a while, but we will in the end succumb to the rising powers outside Europe; countries that don't always value democracy.

This doesn't mean the EU is without flaws. The administration is a gargantuan money-consuming monster with waaaay too many participants. This something that has to be reduced over the years, along with a coherent decision-making capacity. The main reason why the administration is so big, is that the EU is still deepening and widening; many countries don't want to lose their autonomy before the rules come to a fixed end with proportional representation; that's why a European constitution causes so much problems, just to give an example. If we had an administration that was accepted by all countries, we could come to faster decisions with less people. The only (but seriously hard to put into practice) risk I see is that a smaller club will tend to secure their national needs instead of thinking about the greater good. But this aspect has alwas been a problem in politics, even Plato talked about the need of a selfless elite in politics. I personally like John Rawls' idea of the veil of ignorance in orde to create a universally acceptable and ethic policy.

Furthermore, apart from the necessary slimming down, the EU needs enforcements to oblige bad pupils to change their behaviour, so that abuses like in Greece can't go unpunished for decades. And last but not least, the EU needs power to combat multinational and global abuse like banking and insurance corporations that can destabilize the world economy for the greed of a few demonic bankers.

Only then, in my opinion, the EU can become an institution that strengthens cultural ties, values diversity and emphasizes on stable growth and ethic-ecological trade.

[+] 1 user Likes Thammuz's post
21-11-2011, 07:04 AM
Check my thread out called "ESM can suck my dick" http://thethinkingatheist.com/forum/Thre...ck-my-dick

If you want that........then welcome to your own imprisonment.

I do not want it and I will fight it to the day I die.

Excuse my language but fuck the EU.....fuck the unelected members that regulate trade, monetary policy, laws....everything.

Fuck em........it doesnt work and it will never work. We dont NEED it.

Why do I post farrage videos??? Even though I dont agree with all of UKIPs policys and have never voted for political partys and never will (they hold no power whilst they rely on lending money off central banks)

He is the only person who tells it like it really is.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
22-11-2011, 03:08 AM
(21-11-2011 04:29 AM)Thammuz Wrote:  Long Post

The only thing I need to know about the EU is that it has officially taken the position that it is illegal to say that water prevents dehydration.

The EU is garbage.

[Image: 81564_gal-1.jpg]