Former believers, what have you done with your religious stuff?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-04-2012, 01:09 PM
Former believers, what have you done with your religious stuff?
Yesterday, while cleaning my house I found several things lying around gathering dust:
- some crucifixes, a couple of bibles, the Catechism of the Catholic Church, a rosary, many Saints on stamps, etc.

Many of those things are now in the trash can but I was thinking of another use.

I want to keep a bible: it has the best arguments when debating with a theist. Also, a couple of crucifixes have a sentimental
value to me (they were a gift from my parents, many years ago) and I won't trash them.

Is there something useful you can do with such things?

Oh and no, I don't want to give them away to anyone.

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2012, 01:16 PM
RE: Former believers, what have you done with your religious stuff?
Unless you are going to burn them, I see only three choices...keep them for the sentimental value (I have some things that were given me by grandparents), throw them out or give them away.

Somehow I don't see you wanting to use them as home decor...or hanging the rosary from your rearview.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
09-04-2012, 01:17 PM
I'm still stuck with my relgious family, however I just cram my DCU figures in front of the Jesus candle since I can't move it.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
09-04-2012, 01:28 PM
I kept my bible for reference
I used my baptism cross to light the fireplace (nice dry wood)
My rosary...
I dunno, i guess it must be around here somewhere.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
09-04-2012, 01:39 PM
(09-04-2012 01:09 PM)KVron Wrote:  Yesterday, while cleaning my house I found several things lying around gathering dust:
- some crucifixes, a couple of bibles, the Catechism of the Catholic Church, a rosary, many Saints on stamps, etc.

Many of those things are now in the trash can but I was thinking of another use.

I want to keep a bible: it has the best arguments when debating with a theist. Also, a couple of crucifixes have a sentimental
value to me (they were a gift from my parents, many years ago) and I won't trash them.

Is there something useful you can do with such things?

Oh and no, I don't want to give them away to anyone.
I either burned or disposed of the religious items, paperwork, clothing, etc. that I had, save only the 2 Bibles which I had. I don't believe in destroying books, no matter how silly.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
09-04-2012, 01:43 PM
Sell ALL THE STUFF. I've just recently collected all of my religious books (and I have A LOT of those) and packed them in a bag, and one of those days will start walking around antique-book shops to sell them. You know, make some actual use of them.

[Image: s1hlsk.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-04-2012, 02:34 PM
I still have a vile of holy water and some dried holy palms. I was thinking of making a vampire kit with the vile in it to sell Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
09-04-2012, 02:35 PM
^ Hey you could always give me a bible, I will turn it into a nice fancy tree for ya. http://questionrenee.deviantart.com/gall...4#/d4jt4qo

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
[+] 2 users Like Question's post
09-04-2012, 02:47 PM
It just goes with all the rest of the stuff I outgrew - into a bottom drawer, eventually probably to a charity shop or something. Bibles I tend to hang onto - I've got one given to my grandfather by his mother, with a long letter in her handwriting inside the cover - I like that, it's the only thing connecting me and her.
09-04-2012, 02:48 PM
I have probably 15-20 bibles in my house (funny thing... they don't all say the same thing, start or end the same way if I recall properly). For that matter, I actually bought a bible within the last few months to replace an older version (only like 10-15 years in between them). Why you may ask? Because I found out that my version was apparently "controversial" because how it translated somethings. Right now I find it useful because I can say "here look, this is the same bible just a newer version, the new version interprets/translates things differently--and they say different things!" Nothing like having the "same bible" say they made a "mistake" to be a useful thing.

Anything else of a christian nature I don't view as christian or anything. They're just an object or art. Some religious things are quite beautiful from an art-like perspective. Granted shy of bibles (one's a "vodoo bible" whatever it's called), I have nothing religious. OK I do have some Ankhs, although I don't view them as religious, rather just a neat image/object.

Of course I view any religious object the same as objects/books about Zeus, Ra, or any other diety. Some are just neat, they have no meaning to me other than an art value.