Former believers, what have you done with your religious stuff?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-04-2012, 03:10 PM
RE: Former believers, what have you done with your religious stuff?
I use my religious shirts I had as shop rags when I work on my cars. Items from my family are kept for sentimental value. The bible is kept for study and reference purposes.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
09-04-2012, 06:14 PM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2012 06:19 PM by GirlyMan.)
I still got the Red Letter Version I had when I was a kid. I still even read passages as appropriate. But only the Red Letters 'cause I'm My Own Personal Jesus . Wink

As for the rest of the stuff, I'm with LadyJane and RedTornado, turn it into some blasphemous deviant art.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
09-04-2012, 08:51 PM
It's odd when I think about it, I have never had any religious things to get rid of. Makes me wonder how deep my beliefs ever went.

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-04-2012, 09:46 PM
BTW, a strange feeling I had when I saw all that stuff...
It was like when you see an ex-girlfriend's old picture but there are no more feelings, just some memories... And then you just get rid of it and that's it.

In the meanwhile, the garbage truck has just collected our trash with all that stuff. I kept 2 bibles, the 2 crucifixes (a gift)
and nothing more.
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]
[/font]

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
09-04-2012, 09:49 PM
except for the bible which has some actual use I burned most of it. My Pastoral notes were a hard choice but burning them gave me a way or reaffirming my commitment.
09-04-2012, 11:43 PM
I keep almost everything, they're a good reminder of where I've been and I shouldn't go back. I'm some sort of personality hoarder, I don't like to get rid of things that identify me, I rather try to expand myself instead of trying to change who I am, so all that stuff help me remind the things I can do with my mind, and how I should be careful with what I believe, whatever it may be, so I don't get to close minded Big Grin

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
10-04-2012, 04:14 AM
I have never had any religious things myself, but I got some left from my mother and my grandmother.

Had a mental battle what should I do with them?
- Keep them to hold the memory of the deceased? I keep a lot from my relatives. Their photos, letters, diaries. Their works, of course. (My mom wrote a couple of brochures; my grandma was an architect.) But religious things... are nothing but a strange work of strange people, who had nothing to do with my family.
- Sell the stuff or give it away? I had no intention to help anyone with their Christianity.
- Burn the things? Hey, that would be religious!

So I hesitated for some time... and then just walked to my dustbin.
10-04-2012, 06:57 AM
I wuz goona keep my Bible, but Sauron could see me! Shocking

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
11-04-2012, 02:05 PM
Here's one I bet nobody else has.

Scenario: Childrens clothing sizes go according to year when they are younger. I give my eldest daughters clothes to a friend and then she gives them back for my youngest to use, her daughters are inbetween my two. Well, yesterday I get a bin back and I'm going through them to sort them into drawers and I find some gems in there.

Christian clothing for kids.

There was a shirt that said 'I'm blessed' and a little baby carrying a huge cross and it says 'faith baby'. Also some pants with faith baby written across them.

What to do now? Ha ha.
11-04-2012, 03:40 PM
I got rid of everything except for a couple Bibles and a religious book because the color of the book spine goes well with the colors of the other books that I have in that space. I still have old Christmas decorations that are religious but they have sentimental value. I also have nativity scene pieces that are gifts, I think in time though I will either give them back, pass them on, or sell them. I threw out all the Bible notes that I used to take during church and that was somewhat of a tough decision for me but in the end I realized they weren't worth hanging on to.
I did not come from a catholic background so I have no ideas about what to do with the crucifixes, rosaries, etc... I see no harm in hanging onto things that have memories attached to them. You could save them as they are or repurpose them in some creative way.