Forming your Capstone Thesis

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-07-2016, 09:19 AM
Forming your Capstone Thesis
Hi all,

Currently, I am completing my bachelors in philosophy and will be looking to pursue my Ph.D. immediately after. I was curious if there was anyone on the forum who has completed a program or currently in one? I am looking at getting some information to help guide me in the right direction for forming my thesis and future dissertation. I currently have a few idea but I want to make sure that they are formatted in the correct way to make the best argument possible.

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-07-2016, 09:45 AM
RE: Forming your Capstone Thesis
Notta clue dude.

But - congratulations!!!

It's gotta feel good to have that sort of accomplishment....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
29-07-2016, 12:49 PM
You need a thesis advisor. When I worked in aerospace, the guys with PhDs were counseled by their advisors on how to select and define their thesis so that it was doable and defensible. Especially in electromagnetic theory, you can get bogged down tout-suite and never get it done.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
29-07-2016, 01:38 PM
As FB mentioned, you will need a thesis advisor. Most universities will usually provide you with one. I had a thesis advisor for mine and it was so incredibly helpful in formulating everything. The best advice I could give with formulating your thesis is to pick a topic you are extremely interested in as you are going to be spending a lot of time researching/writing/editing/rewriting it. You also want it to be a topic with a lot of information available so you can easily find and cite sources. Make sure you pick a topic that will be enough to cover the recommended length of your thesis. You don't want your topic to be too broad or too narrow. Making an outline after you pick your topic and do a little research will help narrow down your ideas and help formulate your thesis statement.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
29-07-2016, 07:58 PM
(29-07-2016 12:49 PM)Fireball Wrote:  You need a thesis advisor. When I worked in aerospace, the guys with PhDs were counseled by their advisors on how to select and define their thesis so that it was doable and defensible. Especially in electromagnetic theory, you can get bogged down tout-suite and never get it done.

Thanks for the response. I do know about the advisor but I have another 6 months until I am there. I just want to get ahead of the curb hence why I am asking on here. I will try and see if I can talk to someone sooner.